U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 11:01 PM

16 posts, read 51,552 times

Advertisements

Ok, so we are researching family friendly areas to move to around Fort worth (my husband will be working downtown near the stockyards) and we are shocked and confused about the property taxes. We need to know which areas have the highest taxes and which have the lowest. We have been told to avoid Mansfield ISD but other than that we aren't sure. We tried checking the county records websites and they show totally different numbers than they show on the realtor listings. We think we might like Burleson but on one of the homes we looked into there it looked like they had to pay taxes to both Johnson and Tarrant counties! Can someone explain this? Where are the best places for low property taxes? thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,552,972 times
I can't speak for other areas but here in Hurst our property taxes on a 150K home is about $3,600 a year.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 AM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
I don't think there are money figures for taxes paid shown on TAD's site--just the assessed value of home--the % of tax to each of taxing entities like ISD, city, hospital district, county, i.e. and the past years' valuations so you have to compute how much tax would be paid on that valuation yourself...
the MLS sites show what the current year's taxes are reported to be...
2009 values have not been added to TAD sites yet...and the "appraised" value of the house/land has nothing to do with what the actual value/market price of the house might be--so don't think that because TAD appraises a house at 159K that is what you can buy it for...or what it should be selling for...

it is possible (depending on where land lies) that it could straddle TWO taxing entities--like two ISDs or two counties--yes--but you pay the percentage of tax for the amount of property
if 20% of the land is in one and 80% in the other then you are taxed that amount--

Texas has higher property taxes than other states since there is no state income tax...
homes here GENERALLY get better marks for quality/value than other states meaning you get more bang for your buck--a 150K home here is USUALLY considered a better/more desireable house than in other areas of the country--but again--it all depends on house and who is doing the judging...

our house in Bedford was 24 yrs old--about 2600 sq ft--in neighborhood with good property values and taxes were about 5300 a year
in Highland Park/Dallas--that house would be probably over 700K in value and taxes would be triple what ours were
in Kennendale they could be less--it all depends on local property values...

rates vary across the Metroplex depending on individual location
ISD tax rates are usually the single highest % of a home's taxes--
if house is on "unencorporated" land -- meaning county and not city location--then it has lower taxes but also generally lower services since there is not city police/fire/emergency services

Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM

5 posts, read 24,795 times
check out azle in parker county.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:50 PM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
just be aware that many times you get what you pay for--
if you buy unencorporated land not in city limits of any town--you pay less tax and you get less service--you very likely have a volunteer fire dept/county sheriff/and maybe a private ambulance service for EMTs that might not provide the level of response time you would like...

Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 AM

58 posts, read 188,694 times
I don't think there is tons of variance from one district to another. As a general rule of thumb, expect to pay 2.75% of your homes value in property taxes every year. It might be higher or lower depending on the exact area you live in but I would let very small percentages affect where I would want to live

Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,268 times
Default renters isurance

does anybody know the average cost of renters insurance

Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 AM

4,191 posts, read 14,054,457 times
Default I still can't believe it!

We wrote a contract last week for a client on a home in the Heritage area of Keller and the tax rate was 3.13 and that is the highest I have ever seen. Holy macro!!!!! Then today I sold one in Frisco (Collin county side) and the tax rate is 2.14... Very similar in size and price and both new homes.

I still can't believe that 3.13. So the owner of the home in Keller is going to pay almost $6800 in taxes while the one in Frisco pays $4700.

Naima

Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 AM

3,033 posts, read 11,027,698 times
Heritage is NOT in Keller. for the bazillionth time.

It's in FT worth (unicorporated I beleive) That whole area goes to Keller ISD schools though.
The area out there west of 377 has some of the highest tax rates around.

City of Keller we pay about 2.8 I beleive.

Here's the TAD site.... Tax Rates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth