U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,077 times

Advertisements

My husband currently works for the government and is looking to relocate the family to a diverse family friendly area. We currently reside in Illinois, 30 miles outside of Chicago. Our 2200sq foot home is $280.000, and we noticed that we can purchase a larger home much cheaper in Fort Worth. However, I am apprehensive because we are not familiar with Texas, and we are unsure about the diversity, education, and crime rate. Please give me honest and objective feed back. Our children ages are 13, 8 and 6.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedom1 View Post
My husband currently works for the government and is looking to relocate the family to a diverse family friendly area. We currently reside in Illinois, 30 miles outside of Chicago. Our 2200sq foot home is $280.000, and we noticed that we can purchase a larger home much cheaper in Fort Worth. However, I am apprehensive because we are not familiar with Texas, and we are unsure about the diversity, education, and crime rate. Please give me honest and objective feed back. Our children ages are 13, 8 and 6.
I am from Chicagoloand as well. NW Suburbs.

You can do much better with real estate here, and there are many suburbs here that closely replicate the feel you will get in your average blue collar Chicago suburb. The Mid Cities area is a perfect example of that. Older, more established community, more blue collar types, more ethnically diverse, but still low crime rates and quality schools.

As far as cost of living and quality of life, Texas blows Chicago out of the water. But you will miss the food, you will miss it badly. Tex Mex and BBQ is good and all, but it is not a deep dish pizza, nor is it an italian beef.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:53 AM

11,884 posts, read 35,592,634 times
I live in the mid-cities as well, specifically up in the Northern tip of Hurst near the border of North Richland Hills and we like it very much here. And MidCityDFW is right, the mid cities area is an older, more established community. Our daughter is 14 and attends Bedford Junior High and likes it quite a bit. She was in Shady Oaks Elementary before that and was very happy there as well. Shady Oaks has an "Exemplary" rating, which is the highest rating in the state. I'm not sure about Bedford Junior High but would guess that it has a high rating as well. As for diversity, the area is pretty diverse; my wife is Asian and we have friends that are from India and Thailand. As for crime, we've lived in the mid-cities area since 97 and have never experienced any crime whatsoever. I think overall, the Hurst crime rate is about average, with more crime existing in the Southern part of the city but even then I don't think it's a big issue. If you'd like to see some pictures of the Hurst area, specifically from two of the parks in the city, I have a thread elsewhere in this forum at the following link. Good luck to you, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help in any way possible!

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...rst-texas.html

Old 03-27-2007, 10:09 AM

157 posts, read 627,760 times
You can do alot better than the public schools in Fort Worth. The public schools in the suburbs are much better; look at Keller.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,012 times
Default Moving from chicagoland

Dependent upon where your hubby will ultimately be transferred ...I would suggest Northwest Fort Worth if he is going to be in Fort Worth...
Although some of the addresses indicate Fort Worth, the east side of Eagle Mountain Lake is Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD. (actually the zip code is Saginaw, Texas 76179)
There are several new communities in the area and excellent schools.
I WOULD NOT put my children into a school in the Ft. Worth ISD.
The commute to town is worth it!!
Lake Country Estates is an older subdivision, but homes are nice. Between Eagle Ranch to Bonds Ranch (newer subdivisons) there are a lot of new homes being built...Bonds Ranch is a subdivision with large lots and a "country feel".
I agree the Keller area is nice but it depends on where your hubby will be working...traffic can be a nightmare.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:36 AM

35,708 posts, read 55,245,981 times
Many people who work w/my husband in downtown FTW live west of town in Aledo area--their drive time is about 30 min each way (used to be less but people moved out there) depending on where they live and how long it takes them to get to the freeway...
the schools in Aledo ISD are fine

North Richland Hills in Birdville ISD or Keller ISD has a building boom going on and some nice older neighborhoods--but some that are not holding up so well also--and think there is problem w/gangs in some of older areas around Richland Hills/FTW and NRH---
Mid Cites has some nice older neighborhoods, holding their own, w/relatively little serious crime, and HEB schools have more good than bad happening there
Keller is growing like crazy--has variety of price ranges in subdivisions--schools have been in turmoil because of growth and conflict between school board and the district superintendant==which seems to have been resolved w/super staying at least for present...

South of FTW is Burleson/Alvarado on I-35--that is little longer commute into FTW--schools are average to above there as well...
Colleyville and Southlake are expensive--little housing to be had for under 350 new or old although schools are excellent for most part...
Grapevine--cheaper housing, more apartments. still in Grapevine-Colleyville ISD...little more difficult commute to downtown...

My only qualm about referring you to Eagle Mt. Lake area is that it is really a long drive into downtown. We looked at development called the Orchards w/acre lots in pecan orchard--lots are lovely but the road leading in and out is 2 lane and no stop lights feeding onto larger roads--would be a really bad commute each day for my husband probably 45 min at least door to door...not what he wants at this stage of life...

Also the shopping/restaurants/entertainment out that way is just not the same level as in Mid Cities or south of town...Aledo/Willow Park area is probably a little better than out by Azle--Eagle Mt. Lake area from what I have seen--and it looks like west FTW is the hot bulding zone right now...

Our best friend is from Chicago (Buffalo Grove) via NYC---and we manage to find some good pizza/Italian food around here in Mid Cities---

Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 PM
hmw

13 posts, read 69,856 times
Fort Worth and the surrounding areas are really booming right now with new subdivisions going up all the time. The basic question is where in Fort Worth will you be working? Believe me, Fort Worth has the diversity, education, culture, entertainment, shopping that most people like. As in any city in the world, the crime rate is higher in some areas than others, but since there are lots of choices as to where to live, you can certainly live in a safe environment here. I take exception with the negative comments about the Fort Worth Schools. I taught in the FWISD for 20 years, having recently retired. My children went to the FWISD schools and have graduated from well known colleges, one having obtained his PhD. So FWISD is a good urban district. There are also good public school districts in the surrounding communities. There are good private schools here also, so education here should not be an issue. Again, a lot of where you decide to live should be based on where in the city you will be working.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:17 PM

35,708 posts, read 55,245,981 times
Just wanted to retouch on FTW ISD schools

this past week the FTW paper posted list of all National Merit Semi-finalists in TArrant county schools, including private ones...
Paschal HS in FTWISD lead all other schools and some entire districts with a total of 18 semi-finalists--that is an amazing number...
Carroll (Southlake) usually considered one of the premier districts in the state had only 15. Based on public opinion of Carroll ISD, you would think that more than 15 students out of the junior class would qualify since they are both 5A schools and have similar enrollment numbers, if not the same type of enrollments....

Apparently Paschal has done that well for years....although TEA only ranks it as Acceptable--which is the base passing score.

If you live in FTW ISD but not in Paschal zone, you can request an inner-district transfer for your high school children to go to Paschal---people are usually waiting in line the night before (maybe even longer) the application day for available slots...so that is something to consider...
There are also good elementary and middle schools...you don't become a Merit Semi-finalist with only one year of hs teaching behind you--that is a process parents/students/schools all contribute to...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-01-2007 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth