U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 24,725 times

Advertisements

We are a newlywed couple looking to buy in Tarrant County. Because of our commutes to Irving, we wanted to consider east Fort Worth in addition to HEB. I've only read negative things about the area, and was wondering if there truly aren't any decent neighborhoods or those undergoing revitalization. We are an Anglo/Latino professional couple and would welcome living in a more ethnically diverse neighborhood. Also we are less concerned about public school rankings than about safety and cleanliness. Any insights would be appreciated...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 05:46 PM

204 posts, read 889,600 times
There are some nice neighborhoods in far East FTW outside 820. Just use caution when looking inside the loop.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,501,249 times
I'm on the NE side up towards the Raceway and it's good. That drive into downtown can be soul-crushing though.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM

32,602 posts, read 51,192,215 times
even if YOU are not concerned with ISD/public schools--that has tremendous effect on the factors you say you ARE concerned about--
if you don't have good public schools in the area you probably also have issues with safety/cleanliness/desireability/viability of housing...
that is just the way TX is--maybe not in other states--but if the schools aren't good then chances are the area in general has problems...and sometimes -- in certain areas--the schools can be good--doing a good job of teaching the students who come to them and making positive changes in their lives--and still be in area that is less than desireable...
it is pretty rare in this part of TX to have bad schools and good neighborhoods...I can name a couple which are new, high-priced subdivisions built like an "enclave" in ISD that is second rate because land was cheap and houses were less expensive than similar ones in better ISD--people who buy there either have no kids are home or send their kids to private school...

I would say look at north Arlington/Interlochen area in W Arlington/Dalworthington Gardens if schools are not that much a priority--depending on price and other features you are looking for in home...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM

356 posts, read 432,932 times
If schools are not a factor, then look at White Lake Hills and Woodhaven. There are beautiful old big houses from west of okland, south of 30 all the way to 820. The bang for your buck is high because of the suckie schools.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM

I would suggest you check current crime maps to see how the different types of crimes are spread in the SE part of FTW
I know that over the past 25 yrs that we have been living in the HEB area that Bedford's crimes have gotten progressivly more numerous when the FTW paper posts the crime log each week--yet my neighborhood in Bedford was never really impacted by that change--most of it was concentrated in certain areas...
check out the areas that are reporting/experiencing crime and you should see if there are zones relative crime free...

Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,501,249 times
Fort Worth just joined up with a crime-mapping site, so you can see on the map where and what kinds of crimes are happening. At the moment it is only for the last 30 days.

Crime Mapping

Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 24,725 times
Thanks to all for your advice. I have lived in areas where people use some of the money saved on their home purchases in a less popular neighborhood to send their children to private schools. But of course one wouldn't want to sacrifice too much on that end.

The information on crime mapping is very helpful..thanks loves2read and scarmig. We assumed we'd have to visit a police station and fill out a request. But I'm aware there can be a huge difference between a locale where there is occasional vandalism or burglary, to a neighboring place where crimes are much more serious and frequent. I hope we can find a relatively crime-free area.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM

14,116 posts, read 6,813,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlyweds_dfw View Post
Thanks to all for your advice. I have lived in areas where people use some of the money saved on their home purchases in a less popular neighborhood to send their children to private schools. But of course one wouldn't want to sacrifice too much on that end.

The information on crime mapping is very helpful..thanks loves2read and scarmig. We assumed we'd have to visit a police station and fill out a request. But I'm aware there can be a huge difference between a locale where there is occasional vandalism or burglary, to a neighboring place where crimes are much more serious and frequent. I hope we can find a relatively crime-free area.
There are some nice neighborhoods in that area - Meadowbrook, along Brentwood Stair from Eastchase to 820 ... BUT

My son found a house in that area he really liked and it was a great deal. After checking - the crime is pretty high and the schools are poorly rated. That might not make much of a difference to you now but it sure will when you get ready to sell. Give it a lot of thought and really check it out.

Another option is to look north of 183 along 360 - there are some neighborhoods up there and the drive into Irving would be pretty good from there. I'm not sure what city that's in - maybe Euless. North Arlington west of 360 along Lamar toward Green Oaks would be pretty convenient also - 360 is very busy going to Irving but you can avoid it by using 157 up to Hwy 10 or 183 to Irving. Green Oaks Blvd is a loop around Arlington from N. 360 along the west to south back to 360. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods along the entire route. Keep in mind that travel on 360 itself during drive time is pretty awful. There are some very nice older neighborhoods (about 50 years old) between Fielder and Davis just south of I30. Well kept, lots of big trees - might find some good deals in there. The main thing is to find a safe neighborhood with a stable resale - drive time is always an issue so look for routes that will make it possible to avoid the bottlenecks.

Good Luck
K

Old 03-03-2009, 06:36 AM

be aware that (from what I know) certain areas of Arlington around Green Oaks can be more problamatic than others...
the Dunlap Sports cernter area is something I would know more about...the area around Waterchase Golf Course (there can be flooding issues there along parts of Randol Mill

be aware that Arlington and East FTW used to have large numbers of apts that were Section 8 housing and I would assume some rental property that was section 8...I don't know if there is any way to verify in a neighborhood the % of rental property vs owner-inhabited properties but that would be something useful to know before buying...

are you driving into Irving S of 183 or N of 183--that would make difference as to how I planned my commute..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth