Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:38 PM

295 posts, read 945,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy24kids View Post
Jcamber,

You live in Fort Worth....not Keller. With the exception of one small and older neighborhood behind the QT and near the Sports Park, everything west of 377 is Fort Worth. So no, that's not the "bad" side of Keller at all....it's not Keller.
Hmmm I do think it's Keller. Whether it was a "ploy" by FW or not, our address says Keller and our school district is KISD. I haven't seen any plans from FW to annex the area so until then, I won't be too worried. And hopefully when and if it happens, I won't be in the area to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
I don't know where you were living before you moved to "Keller" but the only time a city can annex an area is when it is UN-encorporated...
Keller can't annex your area because FTW already has claimed it--check Tarrant Appraisal District for your address and I bet you will see that you pay FTW city tax in your county tax bill...and pay Keller ISD tax for school district...
is this your zip code: 76180 -- if so read these...
ZIP Code Changes (http://www.northfortworthalliance.com/ZIP%20Code%20Changes.html - broken link)

City of Keller : Zip Code Realignment Proposal

Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM

358 posts, read 1,071,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamber View Post
Hmmm I do think it's Keller. Whether it was a "ploy" by FW or not, our address says Keller and our school district is KISD. I haven't seen any plans from FW to annex the area so until then, I won't be too worried. And hopefully when and if it happens, I won't be in the area to see it.

I'm amazed at how many people, who live in Fort Worth, bought into the idea that they were buying a home in Keller. Yes, check www.tad.org for your address. Try to get a library card or a residential membership at The Keller Pointe. Then perhaps you'll see the light. Or perhaps look around you at all the "Fort Worth" signs the city of Fort Worth has put up in your area to remind residents that were duped by their builders or realtor and that they REALLY DO live in Fort Worth.

Most of Keller ISD is in Fort Worth now. Much to the chagrin of many Keller residents. In Texas an ISD can span many cities. The school districts are not governed by the city.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 PM

I can't believe how many people would buy a house and not know what their taxing authorities are...

having residential/commercial construction go up under a city's ordinances and planning/zoning and have the residents and sales tax of those developments impacting the school district that serves it is just contraindicated...the city of Arlington has given the OK for big development called Bird's Fort that is across from the old land fill on 157 before you get to Green Oaks...

that is technically in HEB ISD and will create HUGH problems for the school district if/when they ever start building--that is the only reason I am glad there has been a housing bust...because it will create a big tax burden on HEB residents who had NO SAY in the type of development going into that area...it is going to be combo retail/commercial and townhomes/zero lot homes and some SFR--but a certain % of it is supposed to be designated low-income which means like section 8--frankly that is not going to work with high end retail .... Arlington did not give a flip for how that would affect HEB and we certainly got no vote in our ISD about the density or type of housing but we have to provide the schools for those kids who will live there...
NOT FAIR....

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,583,581 times
Unless someone has had a past experience that brings light to the weirdness of Texas with it's postal boundaries and school district boundaries, then they have no reason to suspect it to be something other than their address. Without that previous experience, why would they think their address as Keller was a lie?

I have a good friend who lives in the city of Keller, not all that far from Keller High School, yet her mailing address is Roanoke. The only reason I know about that is because her mailing address USED to be Keller, but they ran into some difficulties within the postal system, built a new office and manipulated the boundaries to balance it out and they were changed to Roanoke. If you mail something to her with it listed as Keller, it takes twice as long for her to get it, IF she gets it at all.

Also a note......if jcamber lives west of 377, they would not have had a 76180 zip code whether they lived in Fort Worth or Keller. 76180 is the mailing address for North Richland Hills and there were portions of the city of Keller that has/had that zip code as well that border NRH. Not portions of Fort Worth.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM

REAL ESTATE AGENT telling the truth--asking about taxing entities---
many people bought those homes from the developers---they did not use a real estate agent--just the sales agent at the office site--so I am not saying that RE agents misrepresented where people were buying/living--although they could have...

Your friend lives in ROANOKE--it was not "some difficulties" with the postal authority--it was the postal authority getting zip codes and mailing addresses to correspond to where people actually LIVE vs where their developer SAID they lived...at one time part of that area might have been unencorporated--and there has to be a TOWN given even for unencorporated land---maybe that was what happened in your friend's situation and the land was encorporated by Roanoke after having a Keller mailing address--but frankly don't think Keller would let Roanoke access land that was unencorporated since Keller is the larger/more aggressive city authority...
we almost bought a lot that was in Roanoak but advertised in Keller--when I asked what zoning authority we would have to get plans approved by, the lot's owner said that Keller planning/zoning did the work for Roanoak--but technically, it was in Roanoak--not Keller

this info is from the link I posted in my previous post---

UPDATED: ZIP Code Realignment for 76180
The survey period has ended as of March 2, 2009, and the USPS officials will no longer be sending surveys to residents residing in the 76180 ZIP Code. If you were an existing resident residing in the 76180 ZIP Code prior to March 2, 2009 and did not receive a survey from USPS, please contact the Community Development Department at 817-743-4130.

The City of Keller currently contains three different ZIP Codes (Keller 76248, Roanoke 76262 [PDF], and North Richland Hills 76180 [PDF]). While the ZIP code for your residence may show something else, you are a resident of the city that shows on the county tax roles. To verify your city of residence, visit the Tarrant Appraisal District.

If you are a Keller resident who resides in an area with a ZIP code of 76262 (PDF) or 76180 (PDF), you may have an opportunity to vote on changing your ZIP code to 76248.

The City has received comments from a number of Keller residents asking that a request be submitted to the United States Postal Service (USPS) to consider realigning Keller’s ZIP code boundaries so that all residents of Keller will have a mailing address in Keller, 76248.

Note what it says about your physical address and the tax office's registration of that address...people in KELLER are tired of people in FTW saying they are in KELLER...

Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Your friend lives in ROANOKE--it was not "some difficulties" with the postal authority--it was the postal authority getting zip codes and mailing addresses to correspond to where people actually LIVE vs where their developer SAID they lived...at one time part of that area might have been unencorporated--and there has to be a TOWN given even for unencorporated land---maybe that was what happened in your friend's situation and the land was encorporated by Roanoke after having a Keller mailing address--but frankly don't think Keller would let Roanoke access land that was unencorporated since Keller is the larger/more aggressive city authority...
we almost bought a lot that was in Roanoak but advertised in Keller--when I asked what zoning authority we would have to get plans approved by, the lot's owner said that Keller planning/zoning did the work for Roanoak--but technically, it was in Roanoak--not Keller

this info is from the link I posted in my previous post---

UPDATED: ZIP Code Realignment for 76180
The survey period has ended as of March 2, 2009, and the USPS officials will no longer be sending surveys to residents residing in the 76180 ZIP Code. If you were an existing resident residing in the 76180 ZIP Code prior to March 2, 2009 and did not receive a survey from USPS, please contact the Community Development Department at 817-743-4130.

The City of Keller currently contains three different ZIP Codes (Keller 76248, Roanoke 76262 [PDF], and North Richland Hills 76180 [PDF]). While the ZIP code for your residence may show something else, you are a resident of the city that shows on the county tax roles. To verify your city of residence, visit the Tarrant Appraisal District.

If you are a Keller resident who resides in an area with a ZIP code of 76262 (PDF) or 76180 (PDF), you may have an opportunity to vote on changing your ZIP code to 76248.

The City has received comments from a number of Keller residents asking that a request be submitted to the United States Postal Service (USPS) to consider realigning Keller’s ZIP code boundaries so that all residents of Keller will have a mailing address in Keller, 76248.

Note what it says about your physical address and the tax office's registration of that address...people in KELLER are tired of people in FTW saying they are in KELLER...
Um, NO, my friend does NOT live in Roanoke...she lives in Keller. She lives in part of Keller that has been part of Keller since the beginning, as I stated fairly close to Keller High School-the original high school.

Your quote even says the city of Keller contains three zip codes within the city and Roanoke is one, so it supports my point that some people who live in Keller have different mailing addressess! :-)

Look it up on TAD....some streets nearby where she lives....Ottinger, Roanoke RD, Florence....all city of Keller yet the mailing address is Roanoke. For example.....last property the list on Ottinger was built in 1920. It's in the city of Keller but has Roanoke mailing address as well.

My reference to the 76180 zip was to clarify what you told jcamber about likely being in 76180. Since 76180 is mainly NRH (with parts of Keller as I stated), then they could not have had the 76180 zip code if they lived west of 377.

If Keller gets the zips changed, then everyone within the city of Keller will finally have the same zip code and Keller mailing addresses....like my friend USED to have. That may or may not fix the issue of people living in Fort Worth, but still having the Keller mailing addresses.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,841,453 times
AS many have stated... jcamber I am sorry to inform you but you do not live in "KELLER" you live in Ft. Worth.
The ONLY neighborhood west of 377 that is in the city boundries is HIgh Chaperal. by the sports park as Mommy24 and loves2 stated.

go to the city of Keller website....
City of Keller : Maps

Click on boundry map and you will see the city boundries clearly outlined.

Your area is one that had a huge dispute with Keller PD, Keller FD and even the Keller citizen paper because thye DO NOT respond to those areas.
SO, if you have an emergency call Ft worth... Keller won't respond to the housing. (schools yes...both Keller PD and Ft worth PD cover the schools since they are Keller property located in Ft worth)

This was a huge issue and very confusing for us a home buyers new to the area...LUCKY for us we had a very knowlegeable RE agent who outlined all everything...even the new HS boundry changes.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM

JCAMBER---did you check the TAD listing???? you do live in Heritage right?

Georeference List
links to the Heritage addition listing--over 2000 homes--ALL in the city of FT WORTH...
you were played....and all the other home buyers who did not know what they actually were getting...that part of FTW is basically a step-child since the city does not want to spend any more money out there to bring adequate city services, resurface roads, maybe have a new fire station or police location since it seems like it takes a long time for police presence to make itself known...what it does want to do is take your tax money and sales revenues...

HYPOCORE--if I am wrong I appologize--Roanoke IS a town--an encorporated entity--I think there are more people whose house is in Roanoke, who pay taxes and vote in Roanoke and have a Keller mailing address--than people who live in Keller pay taxes in Keller and yet have a Roanoke mailing address--anyway looks like whoever actually lives IN Keller is going to have ONE zip code --
the announcement for 76180 is supposed to be made May 15--with residents getting notice via USPS...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-06-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
HYPOCORE--if I am wrong I appologize--Roanoke IS a town--an encorporated entity--I think there are more people whose house is in Roanoke, who pay taxes and vote in Roanoke and have a Keller mailing address--than people who live in Keller pay taxes in Keller and yet have a Roanoke mailing address--anyway looks like whoever actually lives IN Keller is going to have ONE zip code --
the announcement for 76180 is supposed to be made May 15--with residents getting notice via USPS...
No one ever disputed that Roanoke was a town, not sure where that came from?
Roanoke and Keller do not even border each other, so there is no way that one could have incorporated the other without somehow incorporating Westlake. We know THAT isn't happening! haha
Add to that Roanoke is actually in Denton County and not Tarrant County so I don't think there aren't any there with Keller mailing addresses. None that I checked anyway.

Just as the people who live in Keller that have a 76180 zip code currrently will be getting information in the mail regarding the change of zip code, my friend got one years ago telling of her that change and why. It did indeed have to do with postal delivery regarding distribution centers, postal offices and delivery routes. It had nothing to do with the city at that time.

Here's a zip code map that also distinguishes cities....perhaps it would be helpful to all:
Fort Worth Zip Code Map | Tarrant County Zip Code Lookup | Fort Worth, Arlington, Grapevine, Zip Codes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth