Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM

160 posts, read 198,166 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As described, I don't have to worry about commuting anywhere as I work from home. Also single professional w/ no kids. It may take me a while to work up a stake for a car. In any case I do prefer not having to drive to buy a newspaper. Any college-town type areas with a bit of a hub with interesting things going on?
(I know Downtown and 7th Street are good in those regards, but also perhaps a bit too pricey. I am trying to spend less than $700 on a one-bedroom.)
Schools and commuting are not issues. Neighborhood safety is, as I am a single female and just hate that "jailed in my home" feeling. Concealed carry permits legal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 PM

690 posts, read 1,728,708 times
Hello! Is that You...

To answer your question, you may consider the Hospital district South of I-30 but stay West of 35W
The TCU area may have the type of atmposphere your looking for. I am not aware of any apartments in that area.
Further west there is a apartment complex on Bryant Irvin, just south of Camp Bowie.
Camp Bowie has little shopping centers cafe shops, grocery up and down all the way to downtown Fort Worth.
Unfortunately this is one of the nicer neighborhoods close by to a older neighborhood that is being renovated.
Fort worth crime map:
Crime Information | Fort Worth, Texas, Police Department

walkability score
Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

(Note: Disclaimer, I am not recommending any particular apartment complex.)

Concealed hand gun permits. There are classes you can take to get your permit to carry. There
are places which request you do not carry on site within their premises.
You can google for information concerning classes, shooting range and price for the permit.

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 02-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:27 PM

I hope this works, I looked for apartments withing your price range...

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post

Unfortunately this is one of the nicer neighborhoods close by to a older neighborhood that is being renovated.
Which part is the 'unfortunate' part? Is it that the nice neighborhood is too pricey? Or are the renovations noisy? Or the older neighborhood unsafe?

I appreciate those links a great deal, esp. the Fort Worth crime map. I was looking for something like that.

(I was mostly kidding about the carry permit. I'd rather not live anywhere I'd have to shoot someone in self-defense. I'm not even sure how one can tell one is being fatally attacked; until the assailant is so close, his superior reach would allow him to take my gun away. I am a great natural shot but have next to no practice; I know nothing about guns except how to shoot accurately; definitely not how to draw or ready one. I've avoided being a crime victim in NYC for 20 years by, well, avoidance. Hard habit to break. I do know Fort Worth is more dangerous, though. The murder rate is higher, which is not a huge concern of mine since I can't see why anyone would want to murder me; but the rape rate is about 3 times New York City's, and that is worrisome. :/ Not enough to keep me here, but a concern.)

Last edited by sywi; 02-08-2012 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 PM

You are correct, Poor tends to equal unable to keep up with the latest housing remodel. Just be careful with regular common
sense about you and you should be good. I'm sure you will be OK wherever you choose to live. Crime of all types are everywhere, everyday, it even includes the golf course nowadays.

Last edited by RockyJoe817; 02-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
Poor tends to equal unable to keep up with the latest housing remodel.
Maybe you mean that as a joking comment on people's desire to keep up with the Joneses...but
poor definitely means more than not being able to remodel...

and there is correlation between income levels and crime rates/types--ask any policeman...

If you are working from home and need computer access--just make sure that where you rent has adequate Internet access for your needs
some apt complexes don't and neither do some areas of town

Old 02-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Tx, good reminder about the Internet.

I am pretty sure the apartment complex I sort of have my eye on has decent Internet; it advertises poolside wi-fi.

Of course I still have a lot of looking around to do. Hard to do 'cause I am kind of pinned down here for the moment.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
some people need lot of bandwidth to do their jobs and they can't always get that using WiFi at apt complex

and MOST areas around here are not very walkable--
there are Internet sites that give "walkability scores" but don't know how accurate the results really are

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
About the only really walk able part of FW is the So7 area, which is well out of your price range. The T bus system is OK, but it is notoriously unreliable and there are large portions of the metroplex (Arlington, for example) which are inaccessible by public transportation. Dallas has many more walk able parts that will be in your price range, so you might consider there instead.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM

Were you able to do the internet links, they appear to show many propable locations.
Any Luck on a hopeful location for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth