Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,898 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Pennsylvania to Fort Worth, Texas for my husband's job and I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and help!! Unfortunately I won't be able to travel to Texas until May to look at the different areas but I have spent countless hours scouring the internet and this forum.
My husband will be flying often so we will need to be within 30 minutes (including traffic) from the airport. We are looking for a house in the mid 600's. A great school district is important to us as our kids are 10, 8, and 6. We are Catholic but it doesn't seem like there are many catholic schools in the FW area, perhaps because there are a number of good public schools. My kids are also very active in sports (football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse and irish dancing) so I'm hoping that there are active youth organizations or a variety of sports through the schools. I've read a few posts about the area of Southlake but we don't want to "keep up with the Joneses". However, the area has a lot to offer. Any recommendations of towns (so far looking at Southlake, Keller & Colleyville), developments, schools, Catholic churches, sports groups, irish dance schools, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Southlake, Colleyville, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Coppell would be where I would suggest

some parts of Keller would not be within the 30 min but Trophy Club on 114 might--that is northwest isd--

sports won't be a problem except maybe lacrosse--not sure public schools offer it here--
there are dance schools that do Irish dancing--don't know about clubs...but there is this link to FTW organization about Irish dance/music/affinity
New Page 1
this dance school has site in Lewisville
Emerald School of Irish Dance History

there are catholic high schools--Nolan which is just E of downtown FTW and Cistercian in Dallas/Las
Colinas are probably the top two...
St Michael's Catholic community is Bedford is one of the largest in the area but their youth programs are not that great (I am not Catholic but we have several friends who are and they are St Michael members)--community has elementary school in Grapevine area

I think almost any area you would buy in could have problems with upward mobility pressure--and it is not just in upper income homes--it is just a sign of the times...

Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
For catholic schools.... (most just go up to 8th grade)

Keller.. St Elizabeth Ann Seaton school and church St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church

St Johns (north richalnd hills) St. John the Apostle Catholic School (http://www.stjs.org/index.htm - broken link)

St Peter (west ft worth) St. Peter's The Apostle Catholic school
All sanits (ft worth ) All Saints Catholic School Fort Worth, Texas
Holy family (ft worth) Holy Family Catholic School
OUr lady of Vicotory (ft worth) Home
St Andrew (ft worth) Saint Andrew Catholic School, Fort Worth, TX USA

High school.... Nolan catholic Nolan Catholic High School

Ft Worth Diocese... The Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth

So much info if you just google.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 20,425 times
Default Relocating

Try Burleson (76028) or Crowley these towns are about 45min/35miles away from DFW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceoberry6 View Post
We are relocating from Pennsylvania to Fort Worth, Texas for my husband's job and I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and help!! Unfortunately I won't be able to travel to Texas until May to look at the different areas but I have spent countless hours scouring the internet and this forum.
My husband will be flying often so we will need to be within 30 minutes (including traffic) from the airport. We are looking for a house in the mid 600's. A great school district is important to us as our kids are 10, 8, and 6. We are Catholic but it doesn't seem like there are many catholic schools in the FW area, perhaps because there are a number of good public schools. My kids are also very active in sports (football, basketball, soccer, lacrosse and irish dancing) so I'm hoping that there are active youth organizations or a variety of sports through the schools. I've read a few posts about the area of Southlake but we don't want to "keep up with the Joneses". However, the area has a lot to offer. Any recommendations of towns (so far looking at Southlake, Keller & Colleyville), developments, schools, Catholic churches, sports groups, irish dance schools, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,001 times
Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, in Keller, goes to 8th Grade
Holy Trinity in Grapevine, goest to 8th grade.

Cistercian in Irving and Nolan in Fort Worth both go to grade 12.

I would reccommend Grapevine, Colleyville and Southlake as good choices for you.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
would not recommend Crowley ISD -- budget problems in funding staffing for new schools that are supposed to open this fall--low numbers of students who qualify as national merit semifinalists--lower ratings for TAKS scores for districts of similar size and demographics--think you can find better schools...
Burleson is not what I would rank as top tier ISD either...

Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,739 times
Colleyville would probably offer most of the things for which you are looking. There are many houses in the 600's. I live in Colleyville and there are at least six in that price range in my neighborhood. There are many sports opportunities also. I'm not sure about teams at the schools, but Lacrosse is offered at Stampede sports in Southlake. Cville is also super close to Southlake so it is very easy to take advantage of all they have to offer. There is a Catholic church in town with very nice facilities/land. Also, Cistercian is one of the best schools in the entire metroplex, but it is an all boys school (I'm pretty sure on that).

Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM

350 posts, read 1,287,936 times
If he is driving in to to Ft Worth to work St John the Apostle is on the way, just off the NE portion of the loop. Nolan Catholic has a good reputation and was voted best private school in Ft Worth by the Star-Telegram.

Cistercian is a reasonable distance, it's in East Irving. However, it's grades 5-12 and for boys only. Test scores there are as high as any private school in DFW, average ACT is 30.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 11,755 times
Have you thought or Plano? You can get a great home for $600k, and it was rated the number one city in America to raise a family. There are a plethora of schools to choose from. It's north of Dallas, kind of modern sophisticated, but definitely keeps with that homely feel. I'm a Fort Worth guy myself, but I'd consider moving there!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM

47 posts, read 186,941 times
Colleyville has a catholic church, and the city is close to the airport.

www.colleyville.com

Good Shepherd Catholic Community
www.gscc.net
1000 Tinker Rd
Colleyville, TX 76034
(817) 421-1387
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth