Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFriend View Post
I know there have been a lot of cries in the press and with people about the injustice in the pay of teachers. But after 20+ years of teaching, I have to say, "I" never did it for the money. Why then? I have literally thousands of children that I have touched and had a positive impact on their lives. I have taught K-4 and most of my experience was in first grade. And now, with all the social networking, and facebook being such a large part of our lives, those wonderful kids have found me. And I have "friended" at least 75 former students. I have had the wonderful fortune to have taught doctors, lawyers, politicians, musicians, teachers, pastors, firemen, police officers, professional cheerleaders, homemakers, etc. It brings tears to my eyes how lucky I am to have been there when they learned to read or learned to love books. How many times have I heard... "If it wasn't for you Mrs. T"... How many times I have heard, "I wish my daughter had you Mrs. T". How many times have I laughed at the pictures they found, the funny stories they shared, and the love that they have showered me with over these many years. You might have a picture of me as a little old gray haired lady. But no, I am in my forties and still have a whole lot more knowledge to share.

So, maybe I may never live in a mansion. And maybe, I may never make a ton of money. But, I know without a moment's hesitation that I made a difference. And that, my friend, makes all the difference in the world to me.
Thank the Lord for teachers like you. Your post actually brought tears to my eyes reminding me of my daughter's thoughts. She taught for years and is now a high school counselor.

You know, I work in a high school office for very little pay but even in that position, I've made and continue to make a difference in students' lives. Via facebook, I've reunited with many students from the past who tell me what a positive impression I made on them over 25 years ago. Many are thrilled that I'm in the office now to "keep an eye" on their children. It surely gives one a warm feeling. I wouldn't trade those feelings for any mansion or a stash of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 19,338 times
I have a masters, several years public school experience, and finished out last year making a bit over $32,000. I spent an average of $250 a month on supplies for my classroom (pencils, paper, science materials--stuff my school didn't provide and families couldn't). I am NOT going to complain about the pay scale! An incremental of $500 is wonderful--mine was $400 in Arkansas. Yes, there are many states where teacher salaries are substantially higher. There are also many that are much lower....

Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 460 times
Mr. Wong,
I am a 2nd generation Educator. I came from LA in 2000 making $21K as an Educator, when I started in FWISD I made $36.5 and that was not given credit (yet) for any of my 9 years in Education (and 1 does need to keep in mind Cost Of Living, much cheaper here for a House)! But in LA I could retire at 20 yrs of service (only positive). I do also have my Masters as you speak of...but as a Member of UEA (United Educators Association) I know that FWISD was one of only 2 Districts in the Top 5 of almost every 5-year Teir!!! So I don't know how they can be that bad on Pay? They are less than $3K difference than the #1 School in any Teir...and yet we are by far the LARGEST SCHOOL DISTRICT (127 Campuses, 87K Students, & over 10K Teachers/Staff) of any Western Metroplex Schools!!! So chances are best here to land a job. And as you know...most Educators didn't get into this profession for the money, it was to make a Difference! Oh and 1 last food for thought, local housing/taxes pay for a lot...and yet FW has one of the lowest Tax brackets of the cities cited! [url]https://ueatexas.com/ueas-salary-comparison-charts/[/url]
KBorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
I will try NOT to insult you, but go to Fort Worth ISD.. the darn pay scale is right there to look at. So YES I did research it, being a former educator and my wife and her TX siblings all TX educators I think I know what I'm talking about
In many other states you can rest assure and teach 10 years w/ a master's and make $75k and live comfortably. I know TX values educators, but it doesn't show in the scrap they get paid.

I think one reason for TX low scores in SAT's and ACT comparitively nationwide is low bc too many of the good teacher leave for better paying jobs.. ask me if you would want to make 57k for 20 years of work.. probably not!

Changing pension is something that practically NO one in Gov can touch. The contract is practically rock solid. Everyone is pretty much grandfathered in, but the newbies might see some changes coming there way... and that's a MIGHT.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:38 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times
I could survive on $57k a year easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth