U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 03:48 AM

669 posts, read 1,486,261 times

Advertisements

So my wife an I (she's a born and raised native Texan) researched some TX schools salaries and found that forth worth ISD has to be one of the worst deals out there for making a decent living!

So quick facts... if you have a Master's and begin working there you make $46,600, however after twenty years (yes 20) you'd only be making $57k!

Now how is that fair? So pretty much $500 a year or about $40 a month? I guess that they don't expect you to raise a family, buy a house or upgrade your car any time soon?

And the worst part has to be if you have a family your health care is that your premiums are $956 dollars a month!

Ok so in FW here's my breakdown after 20 years of work.
Take home: $4000 a month
health care: -1000
Mortgage: - 1500
food/gas: - 750

leaving me with $750 of discretionary income for my family. And that's assuming I wait until I teach 20 years to have a family in my mid 40's. That we have no car payment and skip paying our insurance, etc.

So i'm asking do any of you in the DFW area have this problem w/ the ISD's? In a metro with a tremendous amount of wealth, seeing your friends and neighbors live the high life, does this measure up? TX needs to better salaries for it's teacher's and maybe getting a state income tax might be coming, bc no one in their right mind would work for a $500 a year raise for 20 years. You can work at any of the large corporations and make 60k to start, not including bonuses. You're not going to get your best and brightest people enter the teaching field so they can live in near poverty conditions.

And to bette prepare TX to compete nationally with the higher level colleges in academics and get out of the lowest SAT scores in the nation it must do better to recruit better teachers, period.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:36 AM

50 posts, read 124,219 times
As an unemployed school teacher who was previously making $12,000 a year teaching at a private school here in MS-- $46,000 a year sounds like a super deal to me and a LOT of money! Soon as I move back, that's what I'm gonna apply for!

Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 AM

27 posts, read 89,922 times
I know a lady in Florida, who is now making about 45k after 20yrs with a Master's degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
So my wife an I (she's a born and raised native Texan) researched some TX schools salaries and found that forth worth ISD has to be one of the worst deals out there for making a decent living!

So quick facts... if you have a Master's and begin working there you make $46,600, however after twenty years (yes 20) you'd only be making $57k!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM

113 posts, read 367,018 times
If you want to make money, you better get out of teaching and go into nursing. Just food for thought.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 PM

32,540 posts, read 51,070,183 times
DWong--you obviously have never researched the pay structure for teachers in TX--your indignation is funny
what you think is so surprising and outrageous is normal--
the yearly increments are pretty minimal and often the increase in health care costs can rub out any raise--recently the legislature and some local isd gave all teachers an across the board pay raise--but you will never see significant increases for just a year's longevity...
many, many teachers quit between a year and five year's experience anyway--so they are always recycling teachers with less than 10 yrs exp and hiring newbies...
teachers who want more pay go into administration and just tought it out
retired teachers in the past have had an excellent pension--now that the "geniuses" the TX retired teachers' board brought in proved they were only human and have lost the retirement fund a significant chunk of investment capital--teachers who retire in 5-10 yrs wil be the ones to see their pensions crimped...

Old 03-29-2009, 04:20 PM

50 posts, read 124,219 times
Wouldn't want to be a nurse! Too much blood and guts and hard work!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM

32,540 posts, read 51,070,183 times
and frankly--there are probably enough nurses to go around really--the number trying to get into nursing school is way more than the programs can handle--that usually means there will be glut on the market soon--
worked that way for PT degrees several years ago--now physical therapists are starting to find it difficult to find a job...

Old 03-30-2009, 12:07 AM

669 posts, read 1,486,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
DWong--you obviously have never researched the pay structure for teachers in TX--your indignation is funny
what you think is so surprising and outrageous is normal--
the yearly increments are pretty minimal and often the increase in health care costs can rub out any raise--recently the legislature and some local isd gave all teachers an across the board pay raise--but you will never see significant increases for just a year's longevity...
many, many teachers quit between a year and five year's experience anyway--so they are always recycling teachers with less than 10 yrs exp and hiring newbies...
teachers who want more pay go into administration and just tought it out
retired teachers in the past have had an excellent pension--now that the "geniuses" the TX retired teachers' board brought in proved they were only human and have lost the retirement fund a significant chunk of investment capital--teachers who retire in 5-10 yrs wil be the ones to see their pensions crimped...
I will try NOT to insult you, but go to Fort Worth ISD.. the darn pay scale is right there to look at. So YES I did research it, being a former educator and my wife and her TX siblings all TX educators I think I know what I'm talking about
In many other states you can rest assure and teach 10 years w/ a master's and make $75k and live comfortably. I know TX values educators, but it doesn't show in the scrap they get paid.

I think one reason for TX low scores in SAT's and ACT comparitively nationwide is low bc too many of the good teacher leave for better paying jobs.. ask me if you would want to make 57k for 20 years of work.. probably not!

Changing pension is something that practically NO one in Gov can touch. The contract is practically rock solid. Everyone is pretty much grandfathered in, but the newbies might see some changes coming there way... and that's a MIGHT.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM

27 posts, read 89,922 times
At least I know Florida is not on your list of 'other states'.
If that number is correct, I have to say that's very unfair. We spend about 5 more years to earn a PhD (stipend about 20k as PhD student) and then 3-5 yrs as a post-doc (salary 37k to 50k), and then a tenure-track assistant professor at a college or university if we are lucky. Even then, the salary is usually about 70-90k and we need do both teaching and research. Do you feel better now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
I will try NOT to insult you, but go to Fort Worth ISD.. the darn pay scale is right there to look at. So YES I did research it, being a former educator and my wife and her TX siblings all TX educators I think I know what I'm talking about
In many other states you can rest assure and teach 10 years w/ a master's and make $75k and live comfortably. I know TX values educators, but it doesn't show in the scrap they get paid.

I think one reason for TX low scores in SAT's and ACT comparitively nationwide is low bc too many of the good teacher leave for better paying jobs.. ask me if you would want to make 57k for 20 years of work.. probably not!

Changing pension is something that practically NO one in Gov can touch. The contract is practically rock solid. Everyone is pretty much grandfathered in, but the newbies might see some changes coming there way... and that's a MIGHT.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 AM

322 posts, read 819,525 times
I know Texas doesn't give as good of pay raises for experienced teachers as some other places. But my hubby with 3 years of experience would make more in Fort Worth than he would in Fairbanks, not to mention Fort Worth is a far better place to live than Alaska and you can buy a house there for 120K. So, it seems reasonable to me. We're probably moving to Austin, which pays less and has a slightly higher cost of living, but we've definitely thought about Fort Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth