U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 AM

32,537 posts, read 51,063,879 times

Advertisements

article today in FTW paper about "significant" increase in % of Asian students in Southlake Carroll ISD...

what the article fails to mention is that even though the ethnic group is minority--nothing else is--most come from households well above income level and education level of other types of minority groups---
these students are not the same ones found in FTW ISD or other districts with lower socio-economic minority demographics...
if their parents can affort to buy a house in Southlake they have already set themselves above most people in any ethnic group in this area with their income level...
many of them are probably from India-area as well as China/Vietnamese area of Asia...many are probably couples where both parents have college degrees and were born in US vs being recent immigrants...

and almost any teacher who has taught in schools with different ethnic strands or higher/ lower socio-economic groups knows that there is a definite difference between them in THEIR attititudes about education and its value to them...
I am not stereotyping but dealing with reality...
Asians with college/professional parents usually are much more academically oriented and goal oriented, have family expectations that make them much more like to be pro-active about education...even Asian students not from that background are usually more interested in school progress than other groups who do not value education ...whether they come from the India area of the continent or the China/Vietnamese side...

I just thought article was attempt to put a new face on what the public perception of Southlake/Carroll ISD is--make people think that Southlake is not a bastion of WASPS and while there might be some change to the demographic %--when you are talking about people with such higher-than-normal income and education levels--you are not talking "average"...
having these students has probably HELPED Carroll's test scores because these students are usually very motivated to succeed...even more than many of the anglo students in the system...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 AM

36 posts, read 100,345 times
Up here in Illinois, schools with high Asian populations are usually the best schools because they raise the bar so to speak. Asians in general value education so much and it's a honor thing to them to do well to make their parents proud. As I said, around here, a large Asian population raises school scores and therefore tends to raise home values.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM

204 posts, read 888,767 times
I grew up in Coppell and I'm pretty sure the largest minority population there was Asian. It usually shows which schools are better academically.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,730,168 times
I live in Southlake and I taught at one time in the Birdville ISD...Laotian and Vietnamese kids from Halton City. Asians where ever they are, if they are first generation, will do better than average. My three kids are tutored at Kumon (not because they are remedial) because this is what you must do to keep up with the Asians. ...Indian kids, kids of Doctors from Hong Kong, engineer's kid's from Pakistan...these people are hardcore. While you are towing your wave runner to Grapevine lake in the new Z71, these people are practicing Elementary Analysis problems....(you have no chance) !

What the heck happened to this country? I spent hours on top of a barn roof killing time by eating fresh plumbs off the tree and tending to my pet chickens when I was eight.

Nowadays.. (.that's goofing off.).... you must run to Kumon for writing and math lessons to keep up with the Singh's and Moneyreddey's.

Last edited by padcrasher; 04-02-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 AM

7,868 posts, read 5,476,006 times
My friend teaches math at a very highly regarded HS. He says the Asian kids are driven, Most of the white kids are at the bottom of the curve. He has incoming asians at the precalculus level. Evidently the parent push those kids hard and he feels sorry for some of them. They are way ahead scholastically, but socially behind sometimes.
I read about 10 years ago where this high school was in the top 50 in the country.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM

14 posts, read 24,137 times
This country has been the same over the past hundred years. Unless your dad is George Bush, you must be motivated and working hard to be highly successful. It's not just Asians that are working hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I live in Southlake and I taught at one time in the Birdville ISD...Laotian and Vietnamese kids from Halton City. Asians where ever they are, if they are first generation, will do better than average. My three kids are tutored at Kumon (not because they are remedial) because this is what you must do to keep up with the Asians. ...Indian kids, kids of Doctors from Hong Kong, engineer's kid's from Pakistan...these people are hardcore. While you are towing your wave runner to Grapevine lake in the new Z71, these people are practicing Elementary Analysis problems....(you have no chance) !

What the heck happened to this country? I spent hours on top of a barn roof killing time by eating fresh plumbs off the tree and tending to my pet chickens when I was eight.

Nowadays.. (.that's goofing off.).... you must run to Kumon for writing and math lessons to keep up with the Singh's and Moneyreddey's.

Last edited by spookyoldtree; 04-03-2009 at 01:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth