Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,852 times

Advertisements

I'm going to move to Fort Worth this summer and will work in cultural district. I'm looking for a house between 100-150k. Right now, I'm interested in three areas. I hope you folks give me some suggestions. I will visit the city eary May. I have a kid will be in K this fall.

Zip 76137: N of 820 and between 35 and 377.
I found this area quite good, especially the schools. I read some posts on this board, seems tax a little bit higher than Watauga. Park Glen, Parkview, Summberbrook, Sterling Creek, Summerfields, Britanny Space, what's the difference of these places? I heard that Park Glen is quite good.

Benbrook: outside 820.
This seems a quite safe place, and has a elementary school not bad (Benbrook). I checked some realtor websites, lots of old houses there. And many of them have been on market for many months. Why?

Outside 820, both sides of Granbury Rd.
Based on posts on this board, seems west side is better. Schools are not outstanding in this area. A little bit rough compared with above two areas. Hulen mall is close, but I'm not a shopping person. I like old houses. What else would be the problems?

Thanks.

Last edited by NewTexas; 04-16-2009 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,668,819 times
have no clue where you are moving from or your price point--but why the rush???
# of foreclosures in Tarrant county is highest in history so looks like the housing market is not turning around any time soon...
get to know the town first--
the areas south of 820 that you ask about either are in FTW ISD--not so good a district--or maybe Crowley--also not so good a district...
there is no way to tell from doing an MLS internet search what the "flavor" of an area is once you step beyond the ethernet and get into the real world...
Hulen area has more than Hulen Mall itself to recommend the area and even though it is in FTW ISD probably has the better selection of schools...
frankly if you are a single person or young couple I would think one of the more interesting historical areas would get your attention--something that might be a little borderline but improving...

Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM

12 posts, read 23,852 times
Thanks for your reply.
I'm from Florida. I will start here from July. For many reasons, I decided
to have a house ready before I move here. I know it's not a very smart decision, especially right now. I sort of need to settle down immediately so don't want to wait for the improvement.
Yes, I'm married with a little boy. So ISD does matter to me. North of 820 is a little bit too far away. Traffic might be a problem. Anyway, as you said, I still need to go there and take a look by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
have no clue where you are moving from or your price point--but why the rush???
# of foreclosures in Tarrant county is highest in history so looks like the housing market is not turning around any time soon...
get to know the town first--
the areas south of 820 that you ask about either are in FTW ISD--not so good a district--or maybe Crowley--also not so good a district...
there is no way to tell from doing an MLS internet search what the "flavor" of an area is once you step beyond the ethernet and get into the real world...
Hulen area has more than Hulen Mall itself to recommend the area and even though it is in FTW ISD probably has the better selection of schools...
frankly if you are a single person or young couple I would think one of the more interesting historical areas would get your attention--something that might be a little borderline but improving...

Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM

sorry--missed your price point--
check out listing at 4314 Plantation--that is about the best I found doing a quick MLS search--that house is in your price range (top of it if you bargain down price)---it is in exemplary elementary school zone in FTW ISD--which is top ranking...technically it is in Benbrook city limits not FTW--it has been remodeled according to MLS so it could be priced higher than other homes in area...
3621 Renzel is cheaper/smaller house and lot--same elementary school zone--
they are in the pocket between 820 S and 377, south of Camp Bowie
there are several other houses in the Waverly Park elementary catchment that are on MLS--in that area that is where I would be looking---
I don't know anything about the crime stats for that area and frankly there are some areas that are not that nice--but that is just from driving through from time to time--don't think I know anyone who lives that way
shopping might be kind of sparse--the nearest Target is back E at Overton Ridge, Albertson's grocery at 820 and Benbrook, Hulen Mall would be best mall shopping...

Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 PM

58 posts, read 206,821 times
a couple of comments:

76137... make sure youre in Keller ISD.. I think some of this area may be FWISD. Also, the two most backed-up highways in Tarrant county are right there... so be prepared. (IH35 from DT Fort Worth to 287 split; N Loop 820 from IH35 to the 121/183 interchange)

Benbrook - I wouldnt recommend an old house (Im sure others disagree). It's one thing if you're in a cultural / historic neighborhood or if older houses were better constructed... but I don't believe either to be the case here... just more chances for things to go wrong.

Granbury Road - West side is much better than East. Crowley ISD is ok (not great), but better than FWISD.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:43 AM

I think Crowley isd is going down--having budget issues and lots of moveins to the area are not bringing the district up but down--frankly I think if you want older/historic home look at FTW--there are some good elementary schools there and there are magnet schools/Paschal for older students...you just have to be aggressive about persuing options...there are some areas that are getting lots of interest because of downtown expanding...
the area of Benbook south of 820 itself is (TO ME) really an unappealing town but I don't spend lot of time there--just drive through when we go to Granbury ...

Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 AM

2 posts, read 5,546 times
The Park Glen/Keller area is major popular for for folks looking for a good school district. I have several clients that have told me they don't mind a home in Fort Worth or Watauga, but they MUST have Keller schools. It's a great district, but since SO many people think so, the school taxes are higher than in some other areas. Many of the other neighborhoods you mentioned are very near Park Glen, but are older and don't have Home Owner's Associations. As a result, they're not as well kept as many of the newer neighborhoods in Park Glen.

There are several foreclosures and short sales throughout this area, so you should definitely be able to find something in your price range. I just showed one the other day that I even thought about buying myself!! There are also some great builders in our area around that price range, so you shouldn't have a problem. I hope this helps!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:31 AM

Keller ISD is struggling with financials and funding all students' needs--check out article in todays FTW paper--
high school students being cut from 8 classes to 7--elective will be effected--but it is going to make some people mad...

Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM

107 posts, read 353,805 times
if you are looking for a home I would suggest this, purchase a new home, no worries!

go to craigslist and do a search... agents are giving buyer rebates on brand new homes and
i bet it has something to do with the market, my agent gave up half of her commission

(I just got $5000 cash back from using an agent off of craigslist)

76137 very nice area in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,812,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think Crowley isd is going down--having budget issues and lots of moveins to the area are not bringing the district up but down--frankly I think if you want older/historic home look at FTW--there are some good elementary schools there and there are magnet schools/Paschal for older students...you just have to be aggressive about persuing options...there are some areas that are getting lots of interest because of downtown expanding...
the area of Benbook south of 820 itself is (TO ME) really an unappealing town but I don't spend lot of time there--just drive through when we go to Granbury ...
Who are those move ins as you call them? Crowley ISD offers diversity and your kids can go to school with students that are not all white. Also, Crowley ISD is not going down hill as some people would like to believe. North of loop 820 offers no diversity what so ever it is perdominately white. Not my idea of an appealing community. I hope a few middle class black kids want scare you away from Crowley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth