U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2007, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 20,850 times

Advertisements

Hi I need some advice. My 19 yo daughter wants to attend TCC, NW campus. We currently live in Washington State and know nothing about Texas. I'd like to know where would be a good area for her to live, i.e., safety, convenience to school, retail and possible employment. She also needs to have a social life, so a younger population would be desirable. This is her first time venturing out, leaving the nest....mom is freakin out! I look forward to hearing from yall. Thanks so much.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,320,674 times
Just outta curiousity, why leave Washington to go to a community college in Texas?

A good area would be North Richland Hills, Keller and NW Fort Worth.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,552,972 times
I live in Hurst, right next door to TCCC NE campus. It's literally a 5 minute walk from my house. There are some apartments right across the street from the campus as well. I forget the name but I drive by them on a regular basis when running errands. The next time I drive by there I'll try and take note of the name. Like kgee, I'm curious why someone would want to leave Washington to come all the way to a state that they don't know to attend community college.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 AM

FYI I live in Cali and am sick of it and go to CC. but am trying to go to TCC where your daughter wants to go. Im having research done for me as far as transfering 40units to texas, if I cant, I will just finish here and transfer to a University there. But Im kinda feeling like I cant get out sooner. Maybe its the same for the daughter.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
TCC NE is the one in Hurst---TCC NW is one off 820 N by Eagle Mt. Lake--

that campus is kind of isolated from small town living--would not recommend area around Jacksboro HWY or Haltom city/Wautaga that are probably closest towns... but might try up I-35 and north Loop 820 in Fossil Creek area--see apartments there when I drive by--have no clue how safe that area is---

Many students at TCC NW probably live predominately in west/n side of FTW area but could come from all over Metroplex and just commute to school -- there are certain classes that are only offered at certain of the satellite campuses so sometimes people have to drive across town to get what they want
check out the TCC web site to see info about all their campuses....

http://www.tccd.edu/

TCC is now a 4 year school for general education degree--has some good programs for undergrad degrees--many hs students graduate and go there at least for first 2 years of basic general courses and transfer to state or private college afterwards--

they have arrangement with UT-Arlington allowing students to transfer there fairly easily -- sort of sister school arrangement--for students who want the UTA nursing degree or architecture school and can save some money starting at TCC

just have to make sure that WHAT you take at TCC transfers to school you want to move to...in TX any hs grad can get into a local community college with only a degree--don't have to take ACT or SAT and score certain level---one thing a student must do is score high enough on our TAKS test or on another test to prove you can do college level math and English--I know a girl who has been at TCC for several years off and on and she cannot get out of the no-credit math class they give to get kids' skills upgraded--I have suggested that she needs to be tested for learning disability related to math but others in her family say she just does not study---

I have friend who teaches chemistry at the TCC NE campus--would put her up against any chemistry teacher in any college in the state--she is wonderful teacher--but know that TCC has been going through some changes--not always for betterment of students--fees and tuition hour rate are getting higher and class sizes bigger which are the two aspects that make a CC better than regular college

Plus TCC has just decided to upgrade their downtown campus and will be spending a s---load of money (taxpayers' money by the way plus probably raise students' charges as well) to "improve" and enlarge it--will have expensive bridge effect and other things that are totally cosmetic and aimed to impress people that it is a "real" college--instead of worrying about what is happening inside the classrooms and getting excellent teachers and teaching facilities like better science labs...

Old 04-02-2007, 12:22 PM

yea the fees are $50/hr I think for ppl who live in Tarrant county. And I pay $20/unit-hour here...And actually get my fees waived by FAFSA. But the $50 fee might be closer to $100 if your not a resident. I dunno how that all works out. Like I said I am getting it checked out for me by my college transfer center.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 AM

103 posts, read 645,132 times
TCC Northwest is the most beautiful campus around!! It is located on Marine Creek Lake...which has boating, sailing, and fishing! TCC NW's buildings are all attached. You can literally go from one end of the campus to the other without ever going outside.

The atmosphere is more of a laid-back atmosphere compared to TCC SE or TCC NE and VERY friendly. The activities on campus are abundant...and the Student Activities department is top notch! They are always there for the students! I see more activity on the NW campus than I ever did on NE. I think this has to do with the fact that all of the buildings are attached.

TCC Northwest also has the police academy, fire training center, aerotech and horticulture. It is much different than the other TCC campuses!! I just LOVE TCC NW (can you tell? LOL).

As far as where to live? There are apartments right on Marine Creek Parkway down the road from the campus. However, for shopping your daughter will have to travel either to Azle Avenue/Jacksboro Highway (maybe a mile away) or go further west to the Fossil Creek/Park Glen area of Fort Worth. She isn't too far from a few malls (Ridgemar, Hulen and Northeast). I do know they are building A LOT of new things in the area...especially on Azle Avenue. Also, a lot of new homes are being built as well...near Marine Creek Parkway and Old Decatur. I'm not sure of the crime rate for the apartments on Marine Creek Parkway, or much about that particular area. But, I know I feel safe there at night. Your best bet would be to contact the TCC NW Police Department, as well as the Fort Worth Police Department to get statistics for that general area. The TCC website (which was already posted) does post their crime reports. You may want to check that out as well.

Other good apartments can be found on Western Center Blvd. in North Fort Worth, which is not far from TCC NW. There are some apartments on North Beach Street and North Tarrant Parkway. Don't go down too far on North Beach Street...then the area gets a little shady (North Beach Street runs for miles and miles and miles). Stick to far north Fort Worth near Keller/Park Glen/Summerfields/Fossil Creek.

With this all said. Some of what the previous poster wrote is incorrect. TCC is building an entirely new campus downtown. It is not enlarging a downtown campus (May Owen Center is the district center). Tarrant County/Fort Worth is growing quickly, and the need for a central downtown campus is ideal. Also, TCC is not a four-year college and never will be. I'm sure class size is growing because the area is growing. You can only offer classes when you have classrooms! Hence the need for a central location/campus.

I think it is wonderful your daughter is hoping to come to Tarrant County College! What is she planning on taking? The programs here are wonderful, the instructors/professors are top notch, and the atmosphere is fantastic!

I say...get a couple of plane tickets and come visit!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:13 PM

103 posts, read 645,132 times
I can't edit my previous post. But, wanted to let you know that that you need to go east to get to the Fossil Creek/Park Glen area, not west. My bad!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 36,167 times
Well those are the reasons..... Plenty of inexpensive housing, Saginaw. Cheap and Beautiful School, TCC NW campus, Cheap fast Internet, PrairieNet, Lots of Good Reasons. I did two years at TCC NW campus before finishing at TCU. Its a great place to get started.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 AM

32,541 posts, read 51,077,194 times
TCC may be buildng a new campus instead of just enlarging one but they are still spending a LOT of money on something that seems more esthetic than academic--I know that it raises the spirt to be insurrounding that are harmonious--but think the design they have is an example of hubris in modern academic hierachy---just too much for something that will not give value for money--hiring better teachers and paying them better, giving more scholarship money to deserving students---that would be great way to use the funds allocated for some of the over-the-top design they have come up with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth