Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times

Advertisements

Do you agree with this decision?

This is a nightmare for childcare/single or working parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 23,929 times
Based on my friends' experience with SARS, I'll have to agree with this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post

Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM

21 posts, read 85,554 times
Thumbs down Arlington ISD

My daughter goes to Arlington ISD. All her school did was sent a letter home stating how to "Prevent Passing Germs." That made me a little bit upset. I mean that's it? How many parents do you think is going to read that? Is that suppose to make me believe that my child won't get it because you sent this letter home?

I wished Arlington ISD took the Swine Flu a little bit more seriously like Ft. Worth is.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:05 PM

358 posts, read 1,075,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post

I would rather deal with this nightmare than the nightmare of planning a funeral for a child. Still I see the complaints coming.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:40 AM

21 posts, read 56,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy24kids View Post
I would rather deal with this nightmare than the nightmare of planning a funeral for a child. Still I see the complaints coming.
That is exactly what I was going to say. I feel for the people who have no daycare backup plan, but consider the alternative.

My child attends Keller ISD, they have done nothing - no closing, no letter to parents, nothing. However, I have decided to keep my child home today, just in case.I need more information before I roll the dice and send my child to school today.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustsayin View Post
That is exactly what I was going to say. I feel for the people who have no daycare backup plan, but consider the alternative.

My child attends Keller ISD, they have done nothing - no closing, no letter to parents, nothing. However, I have decided to keep my child home today, just in case.I need more information before I roll the dice and send my child to school today.
Go to the Keller ISD website. There is information on the site regarding Swine Flu.

Keller ISD has reported two Type A Influenza cases, one each in two separate KISD schools. Swine flu has yet to be determined in either of these cases.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the FTW ISD release of students brought forth some type of statement (from whom I don't know) but to businesses--that if parents have to stay home with their children because there is no daycare then business can't give them crap treatment/fire them or whatevery...
but I bet they can dock their pay or make them use sick leave time for being absent...
I know my husband's boss would...

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I work in healthcare, and if we allowed all of our staff to stay home with their kids, then there would be no one to take care of our patients. Fortunately, all of the staff showed up for work today, so I guess they found alternate arrangements for child care.

I think the whole swine flu thing is being blown WAY out of proportion. This is the FLU. It is not SARS, Ebola, or the Plague. If you get it, and you get medical treatment, you will most likely be OK. CDC and Public Health all acknowledge that it responds well to Tamiflu and Relenza. Yeah, you'll probably throw up and feel awful for a few days. The people who died in Mexico are ones that did not seek treatment, did not have access to the drugs, or ones with weak immune systems. At my work, we are passing out hand sanitizer gel bottles, and making sure that everyone (staff, patients, visitors/families) are washing their hands and are being especially careful on infection control. We usually have a small flu outbreak every winter, so we're just using the same protocols now.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
the flu does not kill people--it is the side effects of the flu--when it goes into overdrive--that risks people's lives...I think the CDC was caught flat footed by this--and the media has hyped it because it does not want to talk about the economy...
the company that said it informed the CDC about the boy in Houston who died--they started Twitter site --maybe that has made the media attention worse--it is to that company's benefit to turn this into an epidemic...
so far this is NOT an epidemic...
and the ones who died in Mexico frankly are POOR--and in Mexico that means you get nothing...you don't have access to decent medical treatment...you don't have any value in society...
if this had started in the illegal immigrant population of Fort Worth--people would have had better treatment at JPS, as bad as it is, and there would have been decent followup with Tarrant County--at least IMO....most of what I have read seems to show that Mexico has pretty weak medical infrastructure, especially if you are one of the poor classes---you have not heard of any wealthy, upper class Mejicanos dying...

the problem is that the contagion period is 1-4 days--so you can infect who knows how many people BEFORE you come down with symptions...
the boy that died in Houston had been in a mall in Browsville while he was contagious--it is possible that he infected dozens of people who then infected dozens fo their own victims...
this is NOT the season for flu--
it attacks apparently the people who are the most healthy pretty readily--vs other types of flu that are more dangerous for elderly and young...
the WHO and CDC are afraid that this is the type of flu outbreak they have been fearing for the past decade--a 1918 killer...that is what they are trying to avoid--whether it IS that type of flu or not--they can't handle a flu as dangerous of the 1918 flu--the world is actually more fragile now than back
then...

and frankly I would be checking people BEFORE they got on planes to see is they were contagious rather than after--an airport is very open and an airplan is very contained...Biden did kind of make a gaffe but think he got it right--stay out of crowded places--airplanes are horrible for using self-circulating air--it is always possible to get sick from colds after taking plane flights...
airlines should have to sanitize the air moving through their passenger bays...

Last edited by loves2read; 05-01-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
and the ones who died in Mexico frankly are POOR--and in Mexico that means you get nothing...you don't have access to decent medical treatment...you don't have any value in society...

most of what I have read seems to show that Mexico has pretty weak medical infrastructure, especially if you are one of the poor classes---you have not heard of any wealthy, upper class Mejicanos dying...

the problem is that the contagion period is 1-4 days--so you can infect who knows how many people BEFORE you come down with symptions...
the boy that died in Houston had been in a mall in Browsville while he was contagious--

this is NOT the season for flu--

and frankly I would be checking people BEFORE they got on planes to see is they were contagious rather than after--...

1. Actually the first person that they thought was patient #1 in Mexico to have this strain was NOT poor. She lived over a 100 miles from Mexico City in an area with NO farms. She worked in a government office buiding just like any modern day office building here in the states. She was a professional as well. The journalist even went to her neighborhood and it was your normal average "middle class" well cared for area. It was not run down or in poverty at all. Her husband nor 2 young children were sick nor have they gotten sick. She ended up not being victim #1. She did pass away though.

The little boy that died in Houston was NOT from a "poor" family either. The dad was an architect in Mexico. He came to Texas w/ his mother and two siblings. He had something like 5 older siblings. So far no one in his immmediate family or extended family has been sick.

2. While Mexico's medical fields may not be as world class as ours the only thing that can really fight this thing is Tamiflu and Relenza both of which are available in Mexico. We don't need rocket science to combat this. Just common sense and even those that are from Mexico have that.

3. Actually the boy was at the Galleria in HOUSTON not a mall in Brownsville. He was not sick the day they went to the mall. Sadly, most people don't know that the next day they are going to wake up w/ the flu. They still go about their business. I'd be hard to call in to work all of the time and schools would not buy it either if we tried to, "I think I'm going to come down w/ the flu in the next few days so I'm just going to take the next few days off in case". That'll fly.

4. HOW? Do you know how costly that would be??? We might as well set up testing centers in every mall entrance, school entrance, airport entrance, office building entrance, bus station, mass transit system, church, school, restaurant, etc. That would be impossible. It just can't be done. Schools are also bad about using recirculated air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth