Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,795 times

Advertisements

My daughter, son in-law & grandaughter are planning to move to Allen, Texas soon. I know they haven't looked at the WHOLE picture on making this move. They have always lived in New England, & I just can't comprehend why they would want to leave all they have here. And to move their 18mth old away from 99% of the family. Major concerns for all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
This post should be in Dallas, since Allen in North East of Dallas. Maybe your daughter and son in law have a job offer, want to be able to afford a home? Like Allen, TX. Think of it this way you can come and visit and they can come a visit you?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
You're not being very descriptive. Is their move for financial reasons? Do they have friends or family members in Texas? Good job offers? Maybe they're just ready for a change.

Allen, TX is a great place for a young family. Warmer climate, thriving economy, reasonable housing prices, good schools etc...

Old 05-18-2009, 04:04 PM

37 posts, read 194,615 times
Default Moved from CT

99% of my husband's family live in CT, but we packed and moved to TX. They want to move to FL for same reason. So they understood why we wanted to move and supported us. They already visited us once, so we are planning to visit them soon. Since DFW is AA's hub, we have direct flights to most major cities.

So far, we haven't got a ticket for not snow plowing sidewalk, no crazy heating bills, no state income tax, no car tax, property tax is almost half of what we used to pay, and no long dark winter...

Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,795 times
Default Re: relocating fom new england to allen tx

My son inlaw's brother moved there 2 yrs ago & I know that's really why he wants to move. He has a great job in the carpenters union in Ma. she has a good job also. Money is free flowing w them. I do know that. My daughter really doesn't want to move so far, but that's part of being married. They are selling their Condo here for a $30,000 loss, so he is going to borrow money from his work annuity, which he HAS to pay back monthly. Neither of them have a job in Tx. They'll be living w an aunt they barely know...etc... It's the fact they aren't looking at the important stuff I wrote about above.. It's a last minute decision & they don't think a thing about not having anything other than his brother there.
I know Tx is a beautiful state but..........Everyone thinks they're crazy for selling their condo, quitting EXCELLENT paying jobs, my grandaughter leaving all her family & not even having a job to go to.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM

295 posts, read 949,262 times
Yeah that sounds very spur of the moment. You can't take a relo lightly. I moved with a relo package and many of my expenses paid for, a job that was paying more than what I was making and STILL debated the move. We can say we're now happy here in Keller (or should I say Fort Worth so I don't anger the Keller-ites that say I'm not in Keller? haha) and enjoying life but I cannot imagine moving without a job. It's just too big a risk when you have a family to care for.

Just my .02.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,505 times
Biggest reasons I can think of are dramatically lower cost of living and weather. If he's a carpenter I'm sure it won't take him long at all to find a job in DFW. Still, you an afford a much larger and nicer home and that sells a lot of people on the area who move in from California or the Northeast.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:00 PM

30 posts, read 95,727 times
Allen, TX is a very nice suburb east of Dallas. Very family oriented, great schools, shopping, all kinds of amenities. Very low cost of liviing compared to up north. I agree...not so good idea to move and leave jobs for no jobs -- when so many people want jobs! I have to say, though, if it can be done, it can be done in TX! Been here 17 years and love it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed123 View Post
Allen, TX is a very nice suburb east of Dallas. Very family oriented, great schools, shopping, all kinds of amenities. Very low cost of liviing compared to up north. I agree...not so good idea to move and leave jobs for no jobs -- when so many people want jobs! I have to say, though, if it can be done, it can be done in TX! Been here 17 years and love it.
NO! It is NORTH of Dallas straight up I-75 going towards Oklahoma.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namvetwife View Post
My daughter, son in-law & grandaughter are planning to move to Allen, Texas soon. I know they haven't looked at the WHOLE picture on making this move. They have always lived in New England,

There's your answer right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth