U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 36,736 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife, 16yr old son and I area planning to relocate to the Fort Worth area soon. We are currently in Geneva, IL (far west suburbs of Chicago) and have just listed our house for sale.

We are looking at areas northwest of FortWorth. We have family in Copper Canyon (west of Lake Lewisville) and also in Weatherford. Ideally we would end up about mid-point between those locations and north a bit.

I work from home but my company does have offices in Plano and Irving just east of DFW airport. I need relatively reasonable access to DFW (within 1 hour commute) as I don't do it often.

As far as local, we are looking to get more property and out of subdivision. We have been on 1/4 acre lot for about 20 years and ready for some breathing room. We don't need horse facilities, and would prefer wooded/treed natural lot with private backyard. We are looking at 2-5 acres and don't want much yard maintenance.

We would like to be nearby ammenities (shopping/restaurants) but don't want to be right in the middle of them. We are very active in church here and plan to get involved wherever we end up. We are not seeking a "exclusive" area where materialism and keeping up with the Joneses is the thing. More laid back and casual :-)

As far as price range, anywhere in the $300-500k would be okay. We are seeking newer brick and stone exterior with large open plans. Likely 2000-3000 sq ft, 3br, 2.5 bath w/home office, and extra rooms for music, etc.

Please recommend areas that you think would be a good fit for us, and also if you know of a realtor who really knows this area and could help us in our long distance search.

thanks!
Ken
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM

36 posts, read 107,241 times
Wow. There's a ton of stuff available northwest of Ft. Worth that's in your price range AND that will accommodate your preferences. Your price range is great; and since housing/land in the area is very inexpensive (compared to most places) you will probably be able to find something around $300 easy. On another note -- We just got back from spending the memorial day weekend on Lake Weatherford - it was awesome. If you buy something in NW Ft. W. , you will only be a short drive to the Lake. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 AM

32,597 posts, read 51,179,354 times
I will PM you a good MLS site for areas in Tarrant/Denton/Dallas county
not so good for Aledo area--that is about as far west as you can go to get to DFW airport in your hour timeframe--you can search for homes in your price range on larger lots

you need to check a map and find towns within that hour limit--google maps is one way
then run search on this and dallas board for those towns to get basic info

there is so much to go over--
ISDs don't run strictly by county or city limits--they mix and mingle--so you need to read about different school districts in those areas as well unless you are homeschooling...

Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM

394 posts, read 1,145,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith8000 View Post
We are looking at 2-5 acres and don't want much yard maintenance.
You will definitely find what you are looking for to the south or NW of Fort Worth. I'm not sure how you'll get away with having between 2 and 5 acres and not much yard maintenance, though.

When we moved down from NY/NJ last year, I was dead set on living on an acre or more. After looking at a few properties and the communities to the south of Fort Worth where that type of property was available, we changed our mind. Proximity to food and shopping won out for us... and being close to Home Depot, Lowes and Sears is a must - even on our 1/4 of an acre I can find myself at Home Depot four or more times a weekend.

I would consider Colleyville. A lot of homes there have really nice large yards (not much over 2 acres, though), wonderful proximity to civilization AND easy access to DFW airport.

-Eric

Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM

989 posts, read 2,320,748 times
You'll have a palace for $300-500k.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:14 PM

3,043 posts, read 11,039,103 times
Quote:
I work from home but my company does have offices in Plano and Irving just east of DFW airport. I need relatively reasonable access to DFW (within 1 hour commute) as I don't do it often.
if you need to get into he offices NW FTW would be a horrible drive.
Yes, from that area you are within an 1 hour to DFW airport.

you might be able to find a place in Colleyville on an acre or so for your price and the location would be excellent for the airport and getting into the offices if needed.

Aledo is a neat little town with good schools and lots of neighborhoods that are on acreages.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 AM

10,562 posts, read 22,480,151 times
Colleyville will have what you want, but to stay in your price range, the lot will probably only be an acre.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:21 PM

8 posts, read 36,736 times
Thanks for the input so far. Just in case I was not clear.....we are looking to be out a ways from the hussle/bussle. Though Colleyville looks like a nice area with beautiful homes, we are looking for more space, less traffic, lower taxes (no kids in school anymore), etc. That is why we are looking more out towards Haslet and north of there.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:03 PM

32,597 posts, read 51,179,354 times
then you are going to have to decide how much of a commute you are willing to put up with if you are looking west/north of Haslet--like around Rhome or Decatur
but I don't get how you can have 2-5 acres and not have much yard maintenance--
are you planning to just let it be wild?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,145,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith8000 View Post
Thanks for the input so far. Just in case I was not clear.....we are looking to be out a ways from the hussle/bussle. Though Colleyville looks like a nice area with beautiful homes, we are looking for more space, less traffic, lower taxes (no kids in school anymore), etc. That is why we are looking more out towards Haslet and north of there.
I get you. I don't know a lot about the area that you've zeroed in on from afar. I can only offer my own experience, which is that after living in "armpit," NJ just outside of the city I too longed for a simpler life w/ more space and less hassle. I did look at those larger properties that I thought would be then ideal for me, but found that those unincorporated areas with lax or nonexistent zoning, private wells and questionable utilities really wasn't what my mind's eye was expecting before I got here. Civilization has its benefits.

I reluctantly agreed to take a look see in the more developed northern burbs. After the shock of traffic on the local hwy wore off, I found some really nice and surprisingly peaceful neighborhoods... and I learned to avoid the traffic snarls just by taking surface streets. Seriously, avoiding the hwy is not a compromise at all.

My only advice is don't limit your search. I honestly think that you may be surprised by what you find in the Colleyville/Southlake area.

-Eric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth