U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 9,600 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just accepted a new job in Ft. Worth and my wife and I will be moving very soon. We will be down there next weekend to look for a place to live and we need help in locating an area/neighborhood. We are thinking about Arlington or North Richland Hills because my wife will be looking for work and we thought being somewhere in the middle will work well for our situation. We are a young couple with no kids and looking for an area that will be close to shopping, dining, arts/culture, etc... We are going to rent first and I would say we want to stay in the general rent $ we have now, $700-$1000 MAX!

Does anyone have suggestions? As I stated earlier, we will be there next weekend and will have to lock something down soon.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 AM

33,225 posts, read 52,558,207 times
check where your job site is--
what type of commute do you want
there is no public tranportation outside of FTW itself so you will need two cars

Bedford is an area that is fairly well located to FTW and has some apts with trees on property--
try for north of Airport Frwy in Bedford and N Richland Hills
north Arlington or south around Parks Mall area
there is apt complex in Hurst that gets good reviews that is south of NE Mall -- think it is by the drivers' license bureau right off 820 S and Glenview
if it is as nice as the reviews--that area has good access to freeway, lots of retail/shopping/restaurants--not that close to grocery store would be the biggest negative probably...

check out Google maps for specific towns and search for apts
-- you will get lots of hits
some of the posts are probably not legit
hard to get any prices on line--they want you to call
definitely ask about special pricing

MAKE SURE that you get to choose your electric provider--get the info from them up front...
if you can't that means that the apt is selling you the electricity and they do not really have anyone regulating their prices...they can charge you above what they pay to whomever they get the electricity from and make a profit off you...
apts are notoriously poorly insulated so most people DON"T WANT a WEST or SOUTH facing lot of windows in this area

most apts will have some covered parking but more uncovered--

call the local police before renting and ask about calls to the apt complex--some of them just have lots of trashy people renting--especially with economy like it is--and once they are in the apt and paying rent the management does not usually like to hassle them...
my son rents apt in Lewisville and has been in two others in immediate area over the past 3 yrs--one of his neighbors has had police call on them at least 3-4 times since my son moved in for being loud/abusive to wife...
had his car stolen out of the lot of another apt--
so get police info before signing...don't trust manager or what the apt looks like...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,600 times
Thanks for your help. My job is located south of Fort Worth and TCU area (just outside the loop). I do not mind a 20-30 minute commute, I am used to that. We are wanting somewhere in the middle of the metroplex. I was looking into the far east fort worth area and North Arlington (I was glad to see a Whole Foods in that area). Are there any other places we should be looking? We have been reading some very bad reviews about apartment complexes throughout the Metroplex. Does anyone have some they could recommend.

Thanks for recommending calling the police department. I am going to do that tomorrow before we come down so we can narrow our search.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM

119 posts, read 480,570 times
if you decide on bedford, your commute is going to be hell. but then again not sure what time you start working. if you must have that area, stick with staying close to i-30 and far, far away from cowboys stadium. in other words i-30 and west of 360.

a 20 or 30 minute commute is what will take you from loop 820 an 35w to get to TCU. of course it can vary here and there. and of course i am talking peak traffic too.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM

did not know job site when I recommended Bedford--BUT if they did move to Bedford--the commute would be 121(183) to 820 S and go around to 20 that way--
I would not want that drive because of the bottleneck around the 820 merge which is usually a problem any time of the day and can be almost dangerous at certain times...

frankly--the far east side of FTW is not where I would recommend--parts of that area are just not very attractive or safe--most of the apts are older and really not where you would want to be

North Arlington can be hit or miss--nicer apts are probably off NE Green Oaks
there is complex by Lincoln Sq called Arlington Oaks that has some decent comments on Google Maps reviews
but most sites that post apt reviews are kind of hit/miss--don't place lot of weight on accuracy of some posts

frankly with your job location and not having kids I would check out the area around Hulen in SW FTW--or maybe south Arlington around Parks Mall--

you don't mention price--nicer complex-- one bedroom is probably 800-900, two bedroom is more like 1K no matter which location you are in
cheaper apts are not about what part of the metroplex sometimes but just age, ameneties, size

as I said look for some crime maps of the FTW area and check out types of crimes and where they are located--
call the local police and ask about specific apts before you lease
VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE you can choose the electric provider and the apt does not control company that you buy electricity from....
try for 6 mo lease incase your wife gets job that makes THIS apt not that well located and you can move--maybe to rent house...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 AM

8 posts, read 21,794 times
Traffic on 183 is almost always terrible, so that makes the commute tough. If you go to North Arlington, that area is hit or miss. Another thing to consider is the new stadium. Traffic is going to be horrible on Monday Night/Sunday night games and sundays in general.

I have friends that live near 20 and bowen/cooper, and love it there. The parks mall is close, and all the new shops that are popping up, plus the drive on 20 to get to the TCU area won't be too bad.

If you want to be close to shopping/dining/etc, the TCU area itself is pretty nice. I live in the hospital district not far from that area. Another place to look at would be the Arlington Heights area, north of 30 in Fort Worth. Its close to all the museums, and all the new bars/shopping/etc thats being built off 7th st west of downtown.

Since I live in FW, I'm kind of partial to it, so those would be my suggestions. I'm in a similar situation, no kids, live with gf, so those things were important to me too when we were looking on whre to live.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:39 AM

what type of work is your wife looking for--

my husband works just off Sundance SQ in downtown ftw and drives from Hurst--it takes him about 20 min in morning and little more in evening--and the area around NE mall is the problem but he gets off close to there...
it is possible to go through downtown and get on surface street to get to your work area w/o having to go on freeways--so it is certainly possible to commute from the mid-cities...

there are even apts in downtown ftw or condos that you might be able to rent or smaller homes in some of the older neighborhoods...but homes probably not for under 1K

Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,409 times
My family moved here 2 years ago and we live in ft worth near 35w. It is a great neighborhood and my sister and her family just moved here from upstate new york and have rented an apartment just off 35w and western center. They have a two bedroom two bath with a pool and all the ammenities for $900.00!! Close to everything!!!! Were are you going to be working?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth