Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 PM

7 posts, read 27,515 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate feedback from parents with children in the public school system.We'll probably be moving to the Northwest ISD area.Coming from South Florida, I would never dream of sending my kids to public schools down here.My questions are regarding the school system's bend on social issues/curriculum.I don't need anyone teaching my kids about "alternative" lifestyles or how to use birth control. I don't need "re-written" history/social studies to appease the politically correct.Is the parents' role respected and encouraged?Are the kids allowed to say "Merry Christmas" and have Christmas pageants, or is Winter Break/Soltice the required terminology? Don't get me wrong, I have a heart for everyone.However, my husband and I are "training up" our children.We don't need anyone doing it for us, and the school's focus should be on academics.Do I need to check into the Christian schools?

Old 04-08-2007, 08:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
if you want your child to have a Christian bent to their education and you are "training up" your children, please home-school them...there are many people in Tarrant Co and Texas and the country doing so...avoid any confrontation between your personal, religious philosophy and the tenents of a secular public-school education paid for with tax money from a wide ranging public who may not agree with your points of view...

Old 04-08-2007, 02:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
if you want your child to have a Christian bent to their education and you are "training up" your children, please home-school them...there are many people in Tarrant Co and Texas and the country doing so...avoid any confrontation between your personal, religious philosophy and the tenents of a secular public-school education paid for with tax money from a wide ranging public who may not agree with your points of view...
Most Americans, your wide ranging public, (who by the way are paying for those schools) happen to be Christian, why should they be the ones who keep their kids out of the schools so the minority isn't uncomfortable?
Elkarim simply does not want the liberal morality imposed on their children. It does not sound like they will impose theirs on anyone, save their own family. Public schools should be reserved for academics, not some warped politically correct agenda.
The question was are the schools in Northwest ISD conducive to that?
Quote:
I would never dream of sending my kids to public schools down here.My questions are regarding the school system's bend on social issues/curriculum I don't need anyone teaching my kids about "alternative" lifestyles or how to use birth control. I don't need "re-written" history/social studies to appease the politically correct.Is the parents' role respected and encouraged?
I would like that answered as well.

MBG

Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Most public schools teach abstinencse as dictated by the government and some school systems even forbid the mere mention of birth control. Which is a pity as it is one of those things just like math, science and reading that they will more than likely need to know about later in life and there are too many parents out there that are clueless in that area too. But that is a whole nother topic. Anyway, as I said b.c. is not a topic in the schools in Texas or else they could lose some funding. My kids happily go to the public school system and thankfully the days of even mentioning "going to church" have changed from my days here in the Texas public schools. Back then it was "hush-hush" and ridiculed. Now my kids can openly discuss going to church, Jesus, etc with their classmates (of course not during class time) and not be ridiculed or made to feel different or inferior. Many times if you get to know the teachers you will find out where they go to church. I know where most of my kids teachers attend and there are MANY teachers in the public schools that are Christians. They follow their beliefs no matter where they are and that means w/ love and respect. They don't have to pound a Bible onto someones head or anything but live their life according to Him. We have some great teachers in the public schools and I'm glad they don't hide out in their homes home schooling or in private schools. Afterall are we not as Christians supposed to spread the Word? As for the "Winter Break", that is what it is called and so is the "Holiday Party". Many of us still say "Christmas Break" and "Christmas Party" and don't get in trouble for doing so at all.

Don't think your going to escape everything by sending your kids to Christian schools either. You can find plenty of immorality there too. You can also find the extreme Christian schools that are waaaay out there. You will also find that the private Christian schools are also home to many kids who may have gotten in trouble or kicked out of public schools but mom and dad have enough money to send them to private. Then just the kids that are in private schools and parents think they are "hidden" from any "worldly dangers", lol. Sure. The kids in private Christian schools also have the same issues as kids in public schools.

Give the public schools a chance and you just may find you like it.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
stand by my first post--the original poster has an agendo--where are your children going in FL now since you distain the public schools there...your signon suggests a Muslim background but that is neither here nor there...

simply because people pay taxes does not mean they have rights that supercede the Constitution---Separation between church and state ON EVERY LEVEL is required by the Constitution---this tenent has been ignored and overridden by the current adminstration (especially) in attempt to pander to the religious right -- everyone is supposed to receive a public education free of religious bias---
I can only speculate at what you consider "rewritten" history--the Holocaust, the genocide of the Native American culture, the necessity for equal rights for all classes of Americans ??? and would I be wrong to belive you consider Darwin's Theory as misleading and one-sided???

Educational guidelines are set by individual states as well as Federal govt and local school boards--sometimes these local boards do not use good judgement in setting their curricula guidelines because they are swayed not by educational standards but by the emotional/religious/cultural mores of their location and era---do you want to return to American education before desegregation or Title 9??

ELKARIM--just because you pay taxes does not make you the ultimate voice about what should happen in public schools...your children don't have to be "taught" about alternative lifestyles if you allow them to watch television, listen to music, walk a public street or shop in malls, talk to other teens or younger children---as MOMOF2 wrote, sending them to "church" schools is not a guarantee that they will emerge unscathed either....

If children choose to adopt lifestyles and beliefs that their parents shun or find objectionable--maybe there is a reason...

Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
stand by my first post--the original poster has an agendo--where are your children going in FL now since you distain the public schools there...your signon suggests a Muslim background but that is neither here nor there...

simply because people pay taxes does not mean they have rights that supercede the Constitution---Separation between church and state ON EVERY LEVEL is required by the Constitution---this tenent has been ignored and overridden by the current adminstration (especially) in attempt to pander to the religious right -- everyone is supposed to receive a public education free of religious bias---
I can only speculate at what you consider "rewritten" history--the Holocaust, the genocide of the Native American culture, the necessity for equal rights for all classes of Americans ??? and would I be wrong to belive you consider Darwin's Theory as misleading and one-sided???

Educational guidelines are set by individual states as well as Federal govt and local school boards--sometimes these local boards do not use good judgement in setting their curricula guidelines because they are swayed not by educational standards but by the emotional/religious/cultural mores of their location and era---do you want to return to American education before desegregation or Title 9??

ELKARIM--just because you pay taxes does not make you the ultimate voice about what should happen in public schools...your children don't have to be "taught" about alternative lifestyles if you allow them to watch television, listen to music, walk a public street or shop in malls, talk to other teens or younger children---as MOMOF2 wrote, sending them to "church" schools is not a guarantee that they will emerge unscathed either....

If children choose to adopt lifestyles and beliefs that their parents shun or find objectionable--maybe there is a reason...
Thank you for your passionate replies. It's wonderful to hear from citizens who are concerned for the well-being of all, and a great reflection on Texas.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Most public schools teach abstinencse as dictated by the government and some school systems even forbid the mere mention of birth control. Which is a pity as it is one of those things just like math, science and reading that they will more than likely need to know about later in life and there are too many parents out there that are clueless in that area too. But that is a whole nother topic. Anyway, as I said b.c. is not a topic in the schools in Texas or else they could lose some funding. My kids happily go to the public school system and thankfully the days of even mentioning "going to church" have changed from my days here in the Texas public schools. Back then it was "hush-hush" and ridiculed. Now my kids can openly discuss going to church, Jesus, etc with their classmates (of course not during class time) and not be ridiculed or made to feel different or inferior. Many times if you get to know the teachers you will find out where they go to church. I know where most of my kids teachers attend and there are MANY teachers in the public schools that are Christians. They follow their beliefs no matter where they are and that means w/ love and respect. They don't have to pound a Bible onto someones head or anything but live their life according to Him. We have some great teachers in the public schools and I'm glad they don't hide out in their homes home schooling or in private schools. Afterall are we not as Christians supposed to spread the Word? As for the "Winter Break", that is what it is called and so is the "Holiday Party". Many of us still say "Christmas Break" and "Christmas Party" and don't get in trouble for doing so at all.

Don't think your going to escape everything by sending your kids to Christian schools either. You can find plenty of immorality there too. You can also find the extreme Christian schools that are waaaay out there. You will also find that the private Christian schools are also home to many kids who may have gotten in trouble or kicked out of public schools but mom and dad have enough money to send them to private. Then just the kids that are in private schools and parents think they are "hidden" from any "worldly dangers", lol. Sure. The kids in private Christian schools also have the same issues as kids in public schools.

Give the public schools a chance and you just may find you like it.
Thank you for your reply. Your information is very helpful.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,676 times
My point was and still is, that no ones agenda should be taught in the schools, schools should be reserved for academics.
And really, I think parents have the right to instill values in their children, without the school interfering with such teachings. I know when I was teaching in the public schools (Southern California), there were times when I was asked to teach certain topics that had no place in the schools.
No one here is saying that Christianity should be taught in school, but either should any other religion, or lifestyle, counter to to ones faith, or beliefs. Character education is another story.

MBG

Last edited by midnightbirdgirl; 04-10-2007 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM

MBG-I've heard the same from several other teachers from around the country in varying school systems.Thanks for your concern.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,003 times
we moved up to the Northwest ISD about 3 yrs ago. We were in the Keller ISD before that. I have 3 children in all 3 levels of the school, elementary, jr. high and High school. The only problem we have with the school district is there really go by the 90% days in school. 2 of my children have come home with notes saying they have a large number of absents. Each school handles it differently. The elementary just wanted Dr. notes but the jr. high only allows 18 days a year. It's been a rough year. Any way, if I remember correctly they say Merry Christmas and my kid have not said anything about evolution vs. creation. I would, if you are able, to check out the Christian schools, too. We are having trouble getting the help our son needs. He seems to fall between the cracks and doesn't always receive the help he needs.Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: