U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 07:33 PM

15 posts, read 74,399 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people say they would live close to TCU if they were young and single. I work downtown FW and I'm about to start looking to buy a house. Is it possible to find a decent house that does not need a lot of work for under 130K that is close to TCU? If so, how could I search some of these houses online (zip codes, etc.). Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 08:30 PM

55 posts, read 136,468 times
check out realtor.com - zip 76110 and 76109

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 AM

33,205 posts, read 52,485,431 times
will PM a great RE site to use for searching--has map orientation and you can also search by subdivision in FTW

I think your price point might be hard to find--lot of properties in that area could be rent houses for college kids--and/or you could buy into street where one of those is next door...
people complain from time to time about rowdy behavior and loud parties...parking on the lawns to give neighborhood seedy look...

Old 06-15-2009, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 21,784 times
Check out zip codes 76104 and 76110. Don't look at anything south of berry or east of Lipscomb. That is the Fairmount neighborhood, where I live. Its close to downtown, close to the 7th st area, and close to TCU also. You should be able to find a home in that neighborhood for under 130k. Its a mixed neighborhood right now, lots of nice houses mixed in with houses that still need work.

The area is changing everyday. There are plans to put in a railcar to connect that neighborhood with downtown and the museum district.

For the TCU area, look at zip code 76109. It might be hard to find something for under 130k, The homes close to Berry and University typically go for a lot more. You may be able to pick one up over by Bluebonnet circle for that price.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM

62 posts, read 273,299 times
One thing to look for, especially in that area is if it's a pier and beam built foundation. See if it's had it's water lines replaced with copper over the old galvanized piping that's under nearly all of those homes.

You'll appreciate having had it re-piped in the long run trust me. I use to do repair plumbing in that area and in those old homes the water pipes were the biggest problems, that and make sure the foundation is solid. Anything else can be repaired easily enough.

That really is a cool area although maybe a bit over priced for what you get but, it's all about the location over there.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:12 AM

58 posts, read 192,019 times
I've done a lot of looking and you will not find a good home for under 300k near TCU. (76109). Yes, if you start drifting away you can be just 1/2 mile away or whatever for 130k (particularly if you go east on Berry), but the difference in neighborhoods quickly changes during that 1/2 mile.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:26 AM

33,205 posts, read 52,485,431 times
BUT there are some areas undergoing revival that might be in that price range--frankly if I were in that situation w/o kids--that is something I would consider--think inner area around FTW is going to be developing pretty quickly due to nearness to city center and museums--and some of the better schools are in those areas...
you just have to be very careful about the street--as czechgrazer said one street over can make a big change
but Fairmont might be worth checking out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: