Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Worth natives do you consider Fort Worth to be a Western or Southern City?
Southern 7 33.33%
Western 14 66.67%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subslug View Post
You ever just gotten tired of a topic?

This one has given me tired head so, I'll just agree to whatever the majority decides.

It's pretty hard to explain how or why a place gives you a feeling, it either does or it doesn't.

cheers
Good one, Subslug!

LOL Lord know I have. Gotten tired of the topic of Texas' regional affiliation, that is.

I have "fought" this "battle" for years...and in the end, nothing is ever "proven". Because? There is really nothing to "prove" There is simply no "right" answer to it. All one can do is present evidence to back up whatever the position is...and after that, it can be accepted or rejected. Or countered.

As you say, it is pretty hard to describe. My Texas experiences and "facts" have always been that it is essentially Southern. Other folks don't get the same import. And "Southwest" can mean different things to different people...

In the final analysis, I think it is just what one feels themselves to be. If you feel Southern, then you are. If you feel Western, then you are.

In the end though, we are all Texans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
MY BAD--I omitted the word NOT--meant to say that I would not change my mind--that Texas was NOT a southern state--
did not mean to agree with Texas Reb

Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
MY BAD--I omitted the word NOT--meant to say that I would not change my mind--that Texas was NOT a southern state--
did not mean to agree with Texas Reb
Oh heck, I think it was quite obvious, L2R, that we are polar opposites on this question. LOL To you Texas isn't Southern. To me it most emphatically IS essentially a Southern state. You stick with your opinion just as I stand solidly by mine. Nothing wrong with exchanging different viewpoints. As I mentioned earlier (as have others) there is no "right" answer anyway, right? In the end, we are just Texans agreeing to disagree *smiles*

Last edited by TexasReb; 06-20-2009 at 11:35 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 04:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I actually love the fact that our Texas flag is the only one that can be flown at the same height as the US Flag!
Sorry, but that's an urban legend which greatly contributes to the perceived arrogance of Texans by people from around the US.

snopes.com: High Flier

Old 06-21-2009, 06:51 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
In the final analysis, I think it is just what one feels themselves to be. If you feel Southern, then you are. If you feel Western, then you are.

In the end though, we are all Texans!
Well said. I agree with those sentiments exactly.

Peace all!

Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Sorry, but that's an urban legend which greatly contributes to the perceived arrogance of Texans by people from around the US.

snopes.com: High Flier
awww man, burst that bubble! lol

Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
Just for the fun of it I sent out an email to a group of online friends that live predominantly East and North of Texas and asked them whether they considered Texas to be a Western or Southern state. I did not give them southwest as an option. haha

Here's what they've said so far: 2 West, 6 Southern and 3 Southwest
(there are 6 more who haven't replied yet)

"how about a south western state." from Virginia

"Never thought about it before. It's farther west so that's my answer and why....LOL" from Illinois

"My first answer would be southwestern but if I had to pick one Id say Southern" from New York

"My answer is southern, because it were a confederate state during the civil war also known as the war between the north and the south. LOL" from Pennsylvania

"Never really thought about it either but I am guessing I would say Southern." from Virginia

"It is both, depending on the context. During the Civil War, I think most Texans identified with the South, but we also think of cattle drives and cowboys, which most of us relate to the West. I think of Texas as being part of the Southwest, which has characteristics in common with both as well as some unique itself. (Painted Desert, Pueblos, etc.)" from Colorado

"I think of Texas as being south because you can't go more south. I mean you run into ocean anyway." from Minnesota

"Interesting question......at first I thought "western". Reason being is I just think of the the all the old cowboy movies....Then I said, wait, isn't it a Southern State? Have to say I don't know why I thought of that.......maybe it has to do with the warm temperatures you get in Texas......and we all know that South means a warmer climate than us in the North." from Massachusetts

"I would never have thought of it as Western. Always thinking of it as South." from Indiana

"What she said )" (It is both, depending on the context. During the Civil War, I think most Texans identified with the South, but we also think of cattle drives and cowboys, which most of us relate to the West. I think of Texas as being part of the Southwest, which has characteristics in common with both as well as some unique itself. (Painted Desert, Pueblos, etc.) ) from Michigan

"Hmmm... I think it should be its own country! lol...okay okay... Western." from Minnesota

It was just an interesting thing to see what those who don't live here have to say. My own little experiment I suppose. haha

Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Just for the fun of it I sent out an email to a group of online friends that live predominantly East and North of Texas and asked them whether they considered Texas to be a Western or Southern state. I did not give them southwest as an option. haha

Here's what they've said so far: 2 West, 6 Southern and 3 Southwest (there are 6 more who haven't replied yet)
LOL That was fun to read, Hypocore! Thanks for posting it!

I have done similar ones "on my own" in the past, and yep, I noticed too that even if one specifically excludes "Southwest" from the list of choices, it is STLL going to be mentioned anyway!

On a related tangent, I have always thought that the "Southwest" choice -- even while very true as applies to Texas -- never completely answers the "question" (and of course, there is no "right" answer anyway) because the whole concept of the "Southwest" can be interpretted differently. For some (like me) it means the western part of the South. For others, it is defined as the southern part of the West. And there is disagreement as to where those two begin/end!

Anyway, again in the realm of just regional trivia, there was once a survey done where respondents across the country where asked to choose as to regional affliation. I will try and post the "map" later, but the choice of "South" among people from Texas was -- percentage wise -- about what your own friends "survey" indicates. Here is it:

From the Annals of the Association of American Geographers, In Vol. 7, Number 3 of this journal (September 1987), in the article Changing Usage of Four American Regional Labels, Professor James R. Shortridge (Department of Geography, University of Kansas) seeks, through a statistically random analysis of identification cards sent out with a product, to identify contemporary trends of regional self-identification in terms of the four labels “East”, “West”, “South”, and “Midwest.” Here is a ranked list in terms of percentage of people who chose “South” as their primary regional identification.

More than 75%: 1. Louisiana – 194/199 – 97.49% 2. Mississippi – 72/75 – 96% 3. Alabama – 122/130 – 93.85% 4. Florida – 244/277 – 88.09% 5. Georgia – 147/168 – 87.5% 6. Tennessee – 156/190 – 82.11%

More than 50% 1. Arkansas – 56/77 – 72.73% 2. South Carolina – 66/91 – 72.53% 3. Texas – 526/739 – 71.18% 4. North Carolina – 87/145 – 60%

Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Everybody is entitled to there but Fort Worth is not Western. Everything about Fort Worth speaks southern. WE IGNORE THE FACT FORT WORTH HAVE ONE OF THE HIGHEST CHURCHES PER CAPITAL THAN ANY OTHER CITY.
There is no need to shout. I'd like to point out that in West Texas, which most assuredly Western, many of the people in the little (and bigger) towns are extremely religious. The South has no monopoly on religiosity.
Quote:
And that terminology of where the west begin is trash.
That's your opinion, a bit too forcefully expressed. I don't consider it polite to refer to others' opinions as trash.
Quote:
I will admit this East Fort Worth and West Fort Worth are two completely different world.
We can agree on that. East Fort Worth is more Southern, more like Dallas, while West Fort Worth is more Western.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Here is about the best "modern day" map of the different regions of "South" I have ever seen. It recognizes the very real differences in most of Texas as opposed to the Southeast, but still makes the very accurate observation that the same is essentially Southern. Just that it contains a lot of characteristics of the "frontier West". A whole different thing than being grouped with the Rocky Mountain and/or interior Southwest in terms of regional affiliation vis a vis West and South.

Anyway, it is kinda neat, I think...

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr211/elikos91/south-3.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth