Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

We are getting ready to get our other house ready for sale...
we will change flooring in bathrooms from carpet to tile but we are also considering going to stained concrete...and maybe just doing all the floors with that finish...
Personally I really like it--if we had built a new house I would have done my floors that way vs tile or carpet...
I like the lusterous look of the floors I have seen done but I know that some people don't get the look...or understand that stained concrete is not cheap..

would it be better to just go conventional--tile in bathrooms and carpet elsewhere--for resale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Watching many of the HGTV shows, I find their advice regarding floors to basically do nothing to carpet but get it cleaned thoroughly, as it tends to be something most people replace when they buy it. So if you replace it, you may easily be just wasting money. For tile, if it's in really bad shape, then replacing it can be a good choice as long as you go with something neutral and not overly expensive, as it may also be something that is replaced.

Personally, as far as stained concrete goes, I would never have that in my home due to the stress it puts on your feet when standing for long periods of time. Not to mention anything dropped will be more likely to break on it than on tile.

I have a friend who installed beautiful rock tile and hates it with a passion...due to the above issues stated. She wishes she had thought it out more.....

So, I'd say making it stained concrete might limit those who want to buy.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
I agree that the stained concrete floors are not for everyone. They are pretty if done correctly but they are not all the comfortable to stand on.

I have a few friends who like it but most do not. It's cold and when you get out of bed it's a bit of a shock to the feet.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM

28 posts, read 167,146 times
While I'm not a big fan of stained concrete (I love my soft and warm carpet), it seems to be the new thing around here. We have several friends who have done it themselves in their homes recently and when visiting for parties I've heard people comment on how much they like it. My sister who is very much into interior design is thinking about doing it in her home, too. We also looked at a few new construction homes recently when we were looking to buy and several of them had stained concrete. I don't suppose they would be putting that in if it weren't something people liked. I'm thinking it's a matter of personal preference for most and you will find as many who love or hate it as those who love or hate laminate flooring. So as to how much value it would add or take away from your home, I think it would be difficult to say right now. I don't think it's something people have been into long enough to decide if it's just a craze (ie shag carpet) or something that will stick around. If you like it and aren't planning on selling soon, then why not go for it? It's not very expensive and you can always put carpet over it later.

Edit: I just reread your post and realized you are selling. If it were me, I would go for carpet or tile in that case, but that's JMO.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Carpet in bathrooms is digusting, IMHO. It harbors so many bacteria, etc. You can throw rugs in the wash, but not carpet! (When I was buying, I would not even look at a house with carpet in the bathrooms!) So, changing from carpet to tile is a GOOD thing!

Stained concrete is something that some people love, but most do not. Honestly, tile is a happy medium.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:55 PM

22 posts, read 64,174 times
You definitely need to change the bathrooms, but it is not clear why you are changing the other rooms. Since we are talking about resale, you need to determine if it is worth it to change the floors at all. If you determine it is needed, then you need to determine the appropriate budget for the price range of your house. Right now we are missing that piece and it certainly can impact your decision on flooring.

Concrete floors in general are not as popular, but they are gaining in popularity especially in common areas. They can be harder on the body and colder, as mentioned in other posts. The design is also very important because it will attract a lot of attention since it is not as common as tile, carpet, or hardwood floors.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
I would go with tile for resale, but I love stained concrete floors and you're right it is not cheap.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Concrete stain in a garage A+

Concrete stain in a house - eh, take it or leave it.

Tile - bathrooms YES A+ and make it NEUTRAL

Carpet in bathrooms F

Ceramic tile throughout a house - C

Slate tile or some other higher end tile throughout a house - A

Carpet in the rest of the house.... for resale only clean it really good unless it is mauve, blue, green or some other bold color or scultpured shag. If it is in fairly decent shape and a neutral color....... just clean it.

We are having our new addition which is a 5 car garage stained. It is running about $2K and these are brand new PERFECT floors w/ little to no prep work. Since your in an existing house and would be pulling up carpet...... forget it. The prep and all could kill a budget. Your better off cleaning the current carpet as long as it will not turn off buyers the second they see it because of color and giving them a carpet allowance.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:30 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
we don't think the carpet will clean up in some areas very well--and it is pointless to replace one room and not the others because of matching colors

now we have had significant water leak from a/c in attic--carpets have been taken up/pad removed--
there are some stains I don't think will come out

we need to paint throughout, do some work in bathrooms and considered removing the popcorn accoustic which seems to be big drawback for these older homes--which would be easier to do w/o carpet underfoot...
we were just debating if we could get the slab stained cheaper than doing the carpet replacement if that would be better option--

Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
we don't think the carpet will clean up in some areas very well--and it is pointless to replace one room and not the others because of matching colors

now we have had significant water leak from a/c in attic--carpets have been taken up/pad removed--
there are some stains I don't think will come out

we need to paint throughout, do some work in bathrooms and considered removing the popcorn accoustic which seems to be big drawback for these older homes--which would be easier to do w/o carpet underfoot...
we were just debating if we could get the slab stained cheaper than doing the carpet replacement if that would be better option--
You are talking quite a bit of money to invest for selling and it really would be a smarter decision to get it professionally cleaned-they can do amazing things. Then give that carpet allowance mentioned by another poster so that you aren't wasting money on new carpet that just might be torn right out by the new owner. I'd still switch out the bathroom carpet for tile.

Also, I believe the price for removing popcorn ceilings can be quite prohibitive and often means replacing the entire ceiling.....would that give you a big return on the money? I'd get some quotes and do some research to see if that will be a benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: