Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:28 PM

16 posts, read 79,990 times

Advertisements

We moved away from Ft. Worth 2 years ago to be closer to family, husband got laid off from his job and now it's looking like his old company is going to offer him a job again so we'd be moving back to the Fort Worth area.

We previously lived south of 820 in Crowley ISD. Not planning to do that again. Here's our criteria this time:

- we aren't much for taking care of a yard but we will if we have to
- kids going into 2nd and 9th grades so good (public) schools are a must
- I like interesting areas and not cookie cutter neighborhoods
- wanting to stay under $200k
- husband's job would be on west side

Given this criteria, I've located some townhomes in the Home Town neighborhood of NRH in Birdville ISD. We'll be driving down this weekend and will be looking at this option but my husband is understandably concerned about the traffic.

I've also considered the TCU area where Paschal High School is. Love the area and there's a few homes for sale in our price range. Upkeep would be our major concern since older homes require more of that.

I've also tried looking at other areas north of town but they seem like they'd have the same traffic issues as NRH so I'm not sure what we'd be gaining by being even further away.

Any thoughts on areas we should look at? We'll be in town this weekend and would like to drive around a bit to get a feel for what makes sense for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,582,835 times
As far as Home Town, they are certainly not cookie cutter and have virtually no lawn, however I don't think there are very many, if any, in Home Town that are in your $200,000 price range. All the ones I saw listed for sale are over $300,000 and some over $400,000.

From there, it depends on what part of west Fort Worth he'd be driving into, as far as what kind of traffic. 820 heading west in the morning isn't near as bad as heading east, but you could still be talking 30-45 drive easily one way. And that's not taking into consideration the construction, whenever it finally starts. There are alternate routes if he'd be driving due west and north of 820, such as Mid Cities/Watauga/Western Center Blvd which of course means lots of stop lights.

TCU area can be totally hit or miss. Some homes are historic and kept up very nicely and well over your mark of $200,000, others.....not so much.

Most of us natives recommend renting until you get to know the area well enough to make a good decision regarding commute, then focus on a happy compromise for the commute and schools.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 79,990 times
Thanks for your reply, hypocore.

I would normally be ok w/renting but I don't want to change my kids schools yet again (especially the teenager who will be attending high school). I'm really feeling like we need to find a place to be until she graduates. We lived in the Fort Worth area for nearly 8 years so we aren't unfamiliar with many of the areas but just not quite sure where we want to be this time.

In Home Town, there are 3 townhomes under $200k. In the TCU area, there are a few homes for sale under $200k.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
depending on how far on the west side your husband would be--
my husband drives from Hurst to Sundance downtown and gets there in 20 min or less--maybe little longer coming home
that is a little faster than when we lived in Bedford...
from Home Town you would go back east to get on 121/183 into downtown FTW
so commute would maybe be 20-25 min--depends...

there are a few townhomes in Hurst, a development called Durango Ridge that is new in Bedford, Crawford Farms in Keller ISD but FTW city limits has townhomes
but you might consider doing a search for lot size that is under .2 acre--that might call up a villa type home--zero lot line--minimal yard but no shared walls...
there are some in almost all towns in the area...

there are plenty of threads about how ISDs rank against each other
Paschal HS in FTW is excellent for student that is college prep
there might be some houses in your price range in its zone OR you can take your chances and try to get a transfer there from your own FTW school zone===but next year's has already happened...

will PM a good RE site to use for home search--

Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,582,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerkansan View Post
Thanks for your reply, hypocore.

I would normally be ok w/renting but I don't want to change my kids schools yet again (especially the teenager who will be attending high school). I'm really feeling like we need to find a place to be until she graduates. We lived in the Fort Worth area for nearly 8 years so we aren't unfamiliar with many of the areas but just not quite sure where we want to be this time.

In Home Town, there are 3 townhomes under $200k. In the TCU area, there are a few homes for sale under $200k.
Ah, I was looking at the actual houses in Home Town and not the Townhomes at the front of the development. I just headed towards houses and didn't even think about the other.

The Ryan Place addition and the Fairmount district homes listed on your link are actually quite different than being in the TCU area proper. Those two areas are typically quite nice as long as they've been maintained and renovated over the years. I've been in several in those areas and would choose it over the actual TCU area for houses.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:05 PM

394 posts, read 1,251,046 times
Just today I overheard a bunch of Arlington folk talking about how much they enjoy their community just south of I-20 in the area of Martin HS. I'm sure that you can get a nice, but older, ranch style home in that part of Arlington for less than $200K.

Good luck. The looking is the fun part... and as others have mentioned, renting is a very low risk option until you find what you want. I'm pretty sure that you don't want to move twice, though, and would like to make a perfect landing. That's understandable. I know how that is.

-Eric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth