U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

I've seen many comments on the various schools in the region on these boards and from marketing material from new builders. I wanted to compare for myself how the schools stack up.

I also wanted to get your feedback on how I ranked them and other factors that you would personally consider in ranking the schools. I list some subjective factors that I personally consider but didn't use for ranking or have seen others on this board mention such as Minority population & National Merit Scholars

I admit that 3/8 of my ranking was linked in some manner to TAKS tests which I don't like but a lack of widely available metrics forces one in that direction.

Anyhow here is the list as well as the formula I used to rank the schools (only those with more than 400 students + Argyle):
DFW HS Rankings
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,060,981 times
Well there is GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community that has various rankings, plus parent comments. You may want to check out that site.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM

3,087 posts, read 7,001,795 times
I suppose if all one cares about is statistics, then it might be a helpful analysis, however to me you absolutely have to figure in human elements.
-Will my child fit in with that particular student body?
-Will my child flourish in that type of educational environment?
-Does that school offer classes my child is passionate about?
-Will my family enjoy living, and can afford to live in, that community?
-Will living in that community be convenient for our jobs?

And so on.....

Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM

394 posts, read 1,149,484 times
Thanks. Your analysis provides another tool for comparing schools in our area. I'm a "numbers person," so it works for me. I'm sure that others will poke holes in your analyses, but it's about as good as any other numerical comparison - depending upon your point of view. I like it. It always helps (me) to be able to compare things side by side.

-Eric

Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 PM

32,697 posts, read 51,408,162 times
some questions that Hypocore poses can't be answered except through experience and sometimes a child has a good year in one grade and not - so-good in another
but they are questions to attempt to help quantify your choices...
the child/family have as much to do with success in school as the school itself...

Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 13,335 times
Great Schools is a good start, but don't trust the rankings alone and base your opinions solely on them. Students have been known to alter rankings of schools using "parent comments" with various motives in mind. Some other rankings to consider are those by US News and Parade, but those are admittedly flawed as well.

Also, what factors specifically are you considering in ranking the schools, other than TAKS scores? (TAKS scores are an admittedly horrible measure of academic achievement, but unfortunately it's also one of the most readily available quantitative assessments available.) Are you considering the value of gifted education programs? Special ed? Behavior issues? Special recognition such as Blue Ribbon or Magnet designation? Safety of school location? If you're looking at high schools, graduation rate? Dropout rate? SAT/ACT scores? College acceptances? National Merit Scholars? AP/IB curriculum? These are all factors to consider, and may not all be considered in a typical school ranking, but the information can be easily retrieved with some searching to give you a better idea of how to rank schools with the factors important to you.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM

32,697 posts, read 51,408,162 times
rankings of ISDs came out from TAKS/TEA this past week

note that schools are now allowed to project the success of students and that projection carries weight in determining school's success/evaluation...
that is SO STUPID...
I don't know any school that will willingly say a student is going to fail--
a teacher might who has tried and had little success because of studen't antipathy to learning or family's wilful avoidance of student's problems in learning...
but a principal or admin person is NEVER going to say--that student can't pass TAKS...
even when the student fails and fails...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth