Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 16,777 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I jumped in the car on a Saturday morning and left St. Louis, MO and headed for Texas. My wife has always wanted to live in Texas and I'm seriously ready to get out of Missouri. We went to Keller, Fort Worth, Benbrook, Granbury, Weatherford and San Angelo. It was a crazy trip. We came back to MO the next day. From what we saw and from our research, we think we would like Granbury and Weatherford the best. Benbrook and other areas, not right in Fort Worth, would probably be good too but we just didn't have time to check them all out.

Here is where I need help. We want to move to Texas in the worst way but I need to find work first. I'm finding that a very difficult thing to do from Missouri. I've looked into some sales jobs but thus far nothing has come to fruition. I've been a Baker for the last 12 years but I have a good aptitude for a lot of different things. I've done different things in construction over the years, all the way from Standing Seam metal roofing to Deck building and more.

I'm 47 years old but I'm a very young 47. I'm very healthy and fit and have a strong work ethic. I currently work a 6 day work week and I've not even taken a vacation in years. I don't think that's a good thing either, it's just that there is a lot of dough in the bakery business but not much money so I work all I can. I've also been in the sales industry previously and I really believe I can do well if I can find the right product or service. I did send in a Resume to The Cliffs Resort to do land sales but have not heard back as of yet. I need something where I can make at least $45K a year maybe a little less if my wife can find something as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. A wannabee Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 PM

39 posts, read 91,166 times
I need a job there too! I'm looking from Mississippi...But, I was born and raised in Fort Worth. I haven't figured out how to look if I'm not there--either.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 AM

Yea, I really can't afford to take time off to go down there again at this point. Even if I find something I'm thinking not many potential employers are going to hire someone sight-unseen from just a resume or application. I'm thinking about making a sort of Video Resume so at least they could see me. It would be cool if you could get a prospective employer to meet you on a video chat but that would probably be a lot to hope for.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 12,274 times
We are in the same boat but are taking the $ from our house sale and plunging there without jobs. I can find one easy in Customer Service if I had to get by. But hopefully hubby will find one in financial advising soon. I can't wait to get there either. And from this post and some others we've settled on the same cities you guys have.

Rebecca

Old 09-30-2009, 07:48 AM

Well, we've figured it out. Since my wife lost her job we haven't been able to keep up with the mortgage anyway so we're going to let the bank have the house "deed in lieu of foreclosure" then we're putting everything in storage and going to live in a hotel. We are doing our own business in the credit/debit card processing industry to make a living and I think it is going to go well. I think we've settled on Weatherford for now, mostly because I believe there's more opportunity there with our business. Well, good luck to you all. I think we are crazy personally but if I don't do it now it will soon be too late.
Jeff

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
You folks are far braver than I would be. Realize that although our economy isn't as bad as a lot of areas, this isn't Shangri-La.

We're in a recession and the unemployment rate in D/FW is 8.3%. While that's better than a little more than half the metro areas the Bureau of Labor Statistics surveys, it's 200% higher than it was in May of '07 and jobs are not as plentiful as you might think. Layoffs are still happening and I know people who have been out of work a year or more.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 AM

Yes, I realize what you've said is true but the business we are doing is helping businesses save money on the processing fees. I've not been in a sales business for a while and ultimately that's what this is but it's pretty recession proof. In fact, our business is to help small business save money and that is something there is definitely still a market for. St. Louis unemployment rate is really bad but even here we could make a good living in this business. I guess we're going to find out! I may come back with my tail between my legs but I don't plan on it.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You folks are far braver than I would be. Realize that although our economy isn't as bad as a lot of areas, this isn't Shangri-La.

We're in a recession and the unemployment rate in D/FW is 8.3%. While that's better than a little more than half the metro areas the Bureau of Labor Statistics surveys, it's 200% higher than it was in May of '07 and jobs are not as plentiful as you might think. Layoffs are still happening and I know people who have been out of work a year or more.
Wow .. you can say that with a straight face ? You are obviously out of touch with the rest of the nation

8.3% is a major job market for most of us I am in Detroit and looking to relocate to TX, do you know what our unemployment is ? State - 16.1%, Detroit specifically 21.2%.

Thats 1 out of every 5 adults looking for a job. The last two jobs I interviewed for said I was one of hundreads and I work in a very specialized area. TX here I come !

Old 10-06-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichert View Post
Wow .. you can say that with a straight face ? You are obviously out of touch with the rest of the nation

8.3% is a major job market for most of us I am in Detroit and looking to relocate to TX, do you know what our unemployment is ? State - 16.1%, Detroit specifically 21.2%.

Thats 1 out of every 5 adults looking for a job. The last two jobs I interviewed for said I was one of hundreads and I work in a very specialized area. TX here I come !
It is true... double digit unemployment is becoming the norm so Texas does look pretty good from that perspective. We aren't going to be able to get down there as soon as we had hoped. However, I think we will definitely make by the end of the year if not sooner.

Good luck to you trichert!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 AM

14 posts, read 30,886 times
i ahve a FT job paying almost $17/h right now in IN. I should have enough $ to carry my son and I for 4 months (with no additional income). I am trying to get a PT job at WM, CVS, mcd's (one that has a location in weatherford). Once there, i am hoping that they can transfer me to the waetherford location at FT. now, i'm in weatherford, have a FT job and can look (from weatherford) for a good FT job (probably in FT worth) in a medical office as a maanger or supervisor or something.

that's my idea, anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth