U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 PM

6 posts, read 18,887 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all. We are relocating to the DFW area and really need some help on where to live. My husband will be working in downtown Fort Worth. I will be working on North Central Expy in Downtown Dallas. We are attempting to find the idea spot in the middle. We have a daughter going into 1st grade and a son who will be a Senior in HS. Schools, safety and low crime are my #1. Also, it would be better for everyone if we live closer to my office so I can be available when necessary. Right now we are looking at Bedford and Grapevine. I have all of the info from greatschools.com and have done the research. We're only looking to spend around $170k for a home. What do you think? Is there a better place?

Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:00 AM

11,878 posts, read 34,549,901 times
Being that you both work in downtowns, I would locate myself in the mid-cities of Bedford, Hurst, Euless (or Irving, which will be closer to Dallas) somewhere near to the DART RAIL/TRE lines. This way, you could take the trains to work everyday. It would be cheaper than driving, and probably save you both tons of time on the road. Having said that, some of the areas along the DART/TRE corridor aren't the best, but there are some areas that are pretty nice. I normally don't recommend living in Hurst South of 183, but in the far southern end of Hurst, near where the TRE substation is located, there is a nice area near Rickel Park with new homes, and the area appears to be clean and safe. From this housing subdivision, you are literally less than a mile from the Hurst substation for the TRE (15/20 minutes to Dallas - 15/20 minutes to FW). It's at least worth a look, and I think the homes in that area are between 125K and 170K. Below are some pictures of the area, in one of them you can see the houses in the background of the park. Good luck!

You can just see parts of the subdivision in the background of these pictures taken from Rickel Park. Sorry, you can't see much, but the houses are new, and in a beautiful area with lots of hills and trees.

Below is a map of the DART/TRE Rail lines between Fort Worth and Dallas.

The DART/TRE Rail lines are clean, efficient, and safe. I LOVE riding these trains. Heck, I love trains!

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/

Looking at that TRE map, Irving would probably be about halfway between DT Fort Worth and DT Dallas.

Last edited by Synopsis; 04-27-2007 at 12:11 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 04:00 PM

Wow, what a fabulous response. In today's search we found a home in Bedford that just might interest us. The rail is a fabulous idea so I'll look at the schedule from there. When I checked on it before, I was under the impression that it would take a very long time to get from Hurst/Bell to Downtown Dallas. The link showed me somewhere around 1 1/2 hours so I gave up on that idea. Boy, I'll be happy to find out I was wrong! I'll look back into it. I would LOVE to take the rail. Thank you for your help!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM

You're welcome! Oh no, the rail generally takes around a half hour from Hurst/Bell to downtown Dallas. And the TRE is a superb double-decker that is clean and a fun ride.
The TRE going East into Dallas in the AM leaves Hurst/Bell at 7:06 am and 7:26 am. The earlier one takes 40 minutes and the 7:26 train takes 31 minutes. Those may be conservative estimates. When I took the TRE it was around 25 minutes.

http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/newweekeb.html

Old 04-28-2007, 07:16 AM

32,537 posts, read 51,063,879 times
Where would your job be on N. Central Expressway---that covers a lot of territory---even if you were able to ride the train into Downtown Dallas--what bus would you need to catch to get to work--there are is no subway/el train in Dallas--you would need bus service from the station to your job...

Old 04-28-2007, 07:54 AM

That's a good point loves2read. If her job is not IN downtown Dallas, things would get more complex. There are light rail lines and buses that go to and fro from downtown Dallas, but that would add more to the commute time and complexity of things (switching lines, etc.).

Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM

we live in Bedford and my husband was working in downtown Dallas about 12 years ago. Initially he had a company car w/gas and parking paid --then they took it away. He started driving into Irving to bus depot for DART--that was before the Trinity rail--for service into downtown--there was an Express bus that did not stop until it made downtown around where he was working--
He hated it--noisy--hassle if there was rain/cold weather when walking through parking lot--made it hard to work late---and took more time that driving on his own---but he did save some money---
then he got laid off and did not work in Dallas...

Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 PM

PS--about the housing south of Hwy 10 or Pipeline-or in Euless S of Airport Frwy--there are a couple of new developments planned to go in that will be pretty big and there is already one off Pipeline (which is really in Fort Worth city limits although the school dist is HEB)--same as Bedford and Hurst--
There is problem w/flooding due to Trinity River in that area---I would be very careful about any house I bought in S of the Airport Freeway in Hurst, Euless, Bedford or that part of FTW ... people have complained for years and while some areas have had some flood relief construction--some areas still have problems...
I would be little worried about those development holding their prices---most of the trouble w/mortgages failing is in newer home developments where builders were using shady practices to get unqualified buyers and then reshipping the loans to a secondary buyer--they got their money up front and the secondary mortgage cos got stuck w/lots of failing mortgages...

I think you can find houses in your price range N of the Airport Frwy and even though they are older homes, I think many of the neighborhoods have held up fairly well...
Hurst has had more new construction for shopping and hotels with a new one going in by the City Hall--more tax revenue than Bedford does--really nicer park setup---nicer water park--and fewer problems w/city council problems and funding govertment...Bedford has HEB hospital--a good library that the city wants to put under private management to save money which would really be a cut in services...pretty good police response time--(avg 4.4 minutes)...
I have suggested several times to contact the police in the city you are looking and check w/them about specific areas of town for things like burglaries and vandalism ...the crime sheets posted each week in the paper have gotten longer in past 10 years for Bedford and Hurst (Euless had more to start w/)--not to say that crime runs rampant---but there are problems...just be aware where the hot spots are to try to avoid problems before they happen...
Bedford Heights Elementary in Bedford is excellent as is Meadowbrook, Lakewood and Spring Garden--I know many people assume Lakewood is not in top tier but it is very well-run school...Principal is leaving this year and that might make a difference --but Spring Garden and Bedford Heights will have new principals as well...
Harwood Jr High is rated Exemplary I believe but there are several new programs offered at Central jr high that might interest parents...Bell and Trinity HS have the IB program as well as many strong AP and G?T classes--Bell has one of the top bands in the state (and the country as their record shows if your child is a band kid)...Most people would tell you that Grapevine HS is the lesser of the Grapevine Colleyville HS but think there are lots of issues going on in that district about what makes a good school...
Just know that Paschal HS which is FTWISD school had 18 National Merit Semi-finalists listed in the paper last week--most of ANY area school dist including Carroll and Lewisville and Grapevine-Colleyville....so there can be good teaching going on in schools that are not rated Exemplary by TEA---Paschal received on Acceptable--the least passing score...

Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM

Smile Great news about the commute

Hi y'all. Sorry that I have not had time to respond. Ok, I am so thrilled to hear that the rail can get me there and back. I am going to look into it. My office will be right by the Doubletree on North Central Expy. 8150 N. Central Expy. We are looking at a home on Briar Rd. in Bedford. I really appreciate all of the great info you have sent along. I can't want to hear what else you can tell me. The schools are Stonegate, Central and Bell. Tell me, tell me, tell me anything you think I should know. Thank you SO much loves2read and Synopsis! You're awesome!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 AM

You said you had a child that is a senior===that is a tough year to transfer. Music and art are strong fine arts programs at Bell...they have the IB program but that won't work for you because of the time issue...strong AP & G-T classes in math, social studies, English, science as well as regular level...good foreign language and ASL classes..The band is nationally ranked, choral program is very strong---theater not as strong, newpaper/journalism good---there is good computer/technology set up. Students have access to computer classes and use computers regularly for English writing and in other classes for research and projects...

Seniors can go off campus for lunch--which can cause problems w/tardies and driving issues in the parking lot...some kids walk across the street and freeway to eat...

Bell's campus has second story classrooms in one wing and is fairly self-contained....Trinity's campus is more sprawling (really pretty) but H--- in rainy weather and takes longer to get from wing to wing.

Bell and Trinity's year is broken into three semesters of 12 weeks instead of two semesters like most school---called Trimesters. It is great for some things and not so good for others but it gives students the ability to work hard and graduate early, which some seniors really appreciate. They work hard to graduate in December or February because they want to work full-time to save money for college the next year.

The class periods are little longer each day but they do not run that split schedule where students alternate between A and B classes--which I personally hate and think is a really bad teaching setup.

Bell does something very unique in the English curriculum called the Senior Project. Some students take advantage of it to make truly impressive strides in personal knowledge and skills and some students don't want to be challenged and try everything they can to avoid doing any real work.

The Senior Project involves a full two-semester time span where each student picks a topic that he or she has no prior personal experience with. They narrow the focus, research the information, write a research paper about it, do 20+ hrs of personal expeience on the topic, and then do a 15 minute presentation with visuals to a jury composed of teachers and other adults from community like parents, grandparents, business people.

Each judge has a scoring sheet designed to evaluate the presentation in different areas and can question the presenter. The students know what they will be judged on and spent time in class preparing for the presentation--they even go to other classes and actually do mock versions and get critiques before they have the real one.

The scores are averaged and the student's grade from the presentation, the research paper itself, and all of the work leading up to the final presentation/research paper are part of the grades taken in the two semesters of senior English. It sounds intimidating, but they have done this project for almost 10 years now and have broken it down into so many smaller steps that they have a great plan--the students have a wonderful opportunity to learn real world skills that can make a true difference in making them ready for the world outside high school....whether it is college or a job....
Some students do fun things like sky diving and scuba diving, salsa lessons, guitar lessons and write their papers on things like ecology of the oceans, Hispanic influences on 20th centrury music, music therapy's role in treating mental illness...some students shadow attorneys or nurses or coach little kids' soccer or baseball teams if they are interested in those careers....
and some students just cheat and don't do anything...and miss out on opportunity to learn classroom and real world skills...

Many students come back to visit after graduating and so many say that the senior project was the best thing they did in school...
So I would encourage you and your senior to approach this work with an open mind---it can be a wonderful experience...

Looked at what I guess is the house you are considering on Briar---nice on the photos--backyard is really pretty.
Bedford Rd and Forest Ridge are good traffic arteries though the MidCities--you can get to the Mall, restaurants, and other shopping easily, Albertson's grocery and a Sack N Save are just a couple of blocks away as is 121/183 into FTW and DFW...also close to the library...should be pretty easy to get to the rail station further south as well...the Diamond Shamrock on Bedford Rd and Forest Ridge usually has the cheapest gas around...

Good luck--I think Bedford has many positive aspects even though it has had some rough times with residents in conflict over issues like tax rates and how to handle city services...
I encourage you to register to vote and take part in elections...most people don't--they just complain or even worse, don't pay any attention at all to what is happening in their town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth