U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,866 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to fort worth. I have 2 children, 5, 8. I will be working for a company located on 6201 S Freeway. what areas would you recommend we look at. i would like an area with parks, bike paths, good public schools. our budget would be in the range 350K-450K
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 AM

10,563 posts, read 22,480,151 times
South Fort Worth isn't a particularly nice part of town, but you're not far from better neighborhoods. Wuth that kind of budget, I'd look near TCU and the Colonial Country Club. These are beautiful older neighborhoods with large trees and well-kept homes. If you want a suburb, look towards Aledo or Mansfield.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 PM

584 posts, read 319,622 times
With your work being on S. Freeway, I would consider Mansfield. Good schools, and 20-25 minutes to Fort Worth and Arlington. Also, I have heard that nearby Joe Pool Lake (just east of Mansfield) and the surrounding parks are beautiful with lots of outdoor recreation activities.

Good luck to you!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 PM

32,596 posts, read 51,179,354 times
schools are not the best in south
Aledo might be better
and some parts of FTW ISD have good elementary schools--you just have to do some investigation and check the residential catchment
you can drive almost the same amount of time and be in Birdville/HEB/Grapevine-Colleyville and have much better schools for same amount or less money
good public parks

Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM

50 posts, read 183,291 times
I live in Aledo and I'm very happy with the school system. We are near enough to FW to go and participate in everything the city has to offer, but we are enjoying living in the countryside...I'd highly recommend it :-)

Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 AM

394 posts, read 1,145,377 times
Loves2read makes a good point - consider it. HEB is where we chose to live after strongly considering Mansfield to the south (it had the "buzz" back then). However, I think that in your situation I'd stick to the south side since it's close to the office and - I think - quality of life & daily commute go hand in hand. I think that you should consider Mansfield - not so much for the schools or even the town/amenities. I just know that given your budget you could find something in the area that meets your needs. I also know that you could find a great home to the north with much better schools, however, for me the commute would be a deal breaker.

Good luck. You could stick to the bottem end of your budget and do very well in the Mansfield area. Taxers are disproportionately high down that way, though. So do try to stick to the bottom end of your budget. Taking your commute out of the equation, you would truly be better off to the north of Arlington.

I'm "flip/flopping," aren't I?

-Eric

Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 PM

27 posts, read 290,330 times
If driving is not an issue, consider Colleyville/Grapevine/Southlake/Keller. These all provide great schools and good quality of life. Each of these is a very community-oriented suburb. If you are willing/able, you might consider getting a short-term lease aparmtment in the area to get a real feel of what it is like to live in the community before settling into a home/community.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM

350 posts, read 1,187,127 times
Mansfield's a good bet. Kennedale is also convenient from there and there are some nice homes at great prices there. The location you gave is a LONG way from the NE Tarrant communities mentioned. I don't know much about Aledo schools but that's a great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth