U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 AM

36,781 posts, read 40,940,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy24kids View Post
Florence Elementary in Keller has Southlake residents as well as Bear Creek Intermediatte, Keller Middle and Keller High. The SL area that feeds into the above schools are just North of 1709 and West of Pearson. A small section there is Southlake.
I have got to ask..... are you the mom to 4 kids or the mom of 24 kids ? If it's the later, all I can say is "wow".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 AM

6,584 posts, read 23,677,229 times
I think this is why folks seek out "diverse" schools. They are looking for economic diversity as well as racial and ethnic diversity. There's less pressure to keep up with the Joneses materialistically and academically.

Also, these monied places - Highland Park ISD, Carroll ISD and even places like Flower Mound - lots of parents have the money and savvy to supplement education through outside tutoring, therapy, camps, trips, medicines, homework helpers, SAT training, etc, plus the pushiness to make things happen inside of schools, such as firing "bad" teachers. If their child doesn't fall in, parents have the money to pay for a private school, possibly an LD school such as Shelton, leaving the public school even less diverse.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:20 PM

357 posts, read 989,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I have got to ask..... are you the mom to 4 kids or the mom of 24 kids ? If it's the later, all I can say is "wow".

LOL, I'm the proud parent of 4 children.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 AM

49 posts, read 242,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflycafe View Post
Well, perhaps I've answered my own question. I just think some of the neighborhoods are so cute over there with the old trees and big lots (Southridge Lakes and Stone Lakes come to mind) and I can't imagine people in those neighborhoods being too pretentious. I just like to go outside in the evenings and throw the frisbee and football with my boys and talk with nice folks.
Add Myers Meadow to your list, too. Folks here are very down to earth, and do not buy their teenagers 911s for graduation presents. Lots are larger than most, and folks generally take good care of their homes. IMHO, this HOA is some of the best bang for the buck you can get and still be in Carroll ISD.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 AM

77 posts, read 207,158 times
Default LOL Southlake ...in PA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
ok heres my take, we have moved quite a bit and have had kids in schools within 3 states and lived in various towns etc... (our town in PA was almost identical to Southlake....we now live in Keller)
My kids are in all 3 levels of school...elem, MS and HS. (so I do have a bit of perspective on the changes that exist in each)

Yes. Carroll schools are great, no question. But with that greatness comes ALOT of pressure to maintain it, that pressure runs downstream from the Superintendant to the teachers. The parents are a huge driving force and are very invloved etc...
The pressure to maintain TOP preformace in state tests is top prority. Teachers are pressured by the Principals who are pressured by top school officals.
Sometimes this leads to a very tunnel vision in teaching and dealing with kids etc...

The senior HS pricipal left at the begining of summer...quoted as saying "although Carroll is a exceptional district with exceptional students trying to lead under a microscope of that intenestiy is very difficult."

1. elemtary school:
you will not notice much difference between say...shady grove elem in Keller and any southlake elem. Strong PTA, lots of parent volunteers, kids love school, lots of birthday parties etc... Kids are kids and at this age they really don't notice if your jeans are from walmart or nordstroms. Your childs friends will come over to play and vice versa no matter what type of neighborhood you live in or what type of car you drive. They don't care, they just want to play and have fun etc...

2: Middle school:
NO matter where you live or what your socio-economic status is MS is hard, and kids can be cruel (girls more than boys)
By this age the kids are Extremely self aware of thier appearence and the main thin is TO FIT IN. so, if your child has a real orthodonic need... It had better be in full swing by 7th grade. braces etc... are the norm for 7-8th grade.
Clothes do matter and kids notice...
Southlake the norms are: Abercrombie, Hollister, juicy, ed hardy, coach, cell phones, etc... (keller as well to some extent)
They notice the cars you drive and what neighborhood you live in etc...
Southlake 6-8th graders hang out in town center in masses dropped off by parents with quite a bit of spending money. (keller from what I noticed it more of 8th grade and some 7th)

HS:
by now kids have mellowed a bit on the clothes status. walmart v-necks t's are cool, when paired with Lucky (or simular) brand jeans. Its all about the jeans! Coach purses and big bags. (no back packs...it's all about the bag!)
But the appearence thing really bugs me (mostly girls) majority of the HS girls (and this is Keller too) Tan and get highlights in thier hair. (I am a mean mom because I do not allow either of these) lots have manicure with acrylic nails (french tips) again we don't since my daughter plays tennis and I have told having nails and tennis don't mix.

The mall (towncenter)...these kids have money, They go and shop and eat out and go to the movies all the time. I don't pay for this, so my daughter has had to say no if she is out of money. She gets an allowence for chores around the house about $20/month. Most of her friends get 20/week. Just go to Towncenter on any friday or saturday night (when no football game is being played) and just try to get into a resturant, starbucks, etc...

The 16th birthday.... a car. We are NOT buying our kid a car. we are in the minority here in Keller (my 15 year old will have use of my husbands jeep that sits all week since he has a company car.)
These kids are getting NICE cars and if it this bad in Keller, I can't imagine what it's like in southlake.

So... I am very glad we didn't end up in southlake as our realtor was pushing. We would have been in an entry level home in the older section of southlake, at the top of our budget. I am not one who likes to play keep up with the jones'. We don't buy a new car every 3 years, we drive ours until they drop out from under us!
We don't take 2-3 extraveant vacations a year...
Our kids can't play every sport and do every after school activity offered. and with the ones they love we can't afford to put them in club level, travel, etc...

So thats is my opinion, I like southlake, it very pretty and the city has done a fantastic job in planning etc... We use the tennis facility and love to go to Towncenter. But... it's just a little too pretentious and superficial for me. Not that EVERYONE who lives there is that way.... just the overall feel I get ( I mean hey there are trailer homes and some pretty run down houses in southlake!)

You stated...wait...lemme catch my breathe...you said in Penszulvainya, you live in a town that was almost identical to Southlake? So you're sayin they were a perennial football powerhouse with a multimillion dollar stadium? Your town.....what was it's name? What was their schools football record? How many players got recruited to Div. 1A ? If you don't know these details, you are very misguiding the original poster.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 47,733 times
Thanks, NSany...Myers Meadows is nice too. We looked around Timarron yesterday as well. I would LOVE to be closer to 114 (than we are in Keller) since my husband works in downtown Dallas. The commute is a beating. Own a small business in these parts too so don't want to move to Dallas. Decisions, decisions.

There's football in Carroll ISD? I had no idea!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 AM

3,040 posts, read 11,032,986 times
Quote:
So you're sayin they were a perennial football powerhouse with a multimillion dollar stadium? Your town.....what was it's name? What was their schools football record?
Believe it or not football wasn't even mentioned in the OP concern. And yes you can have a town that is VERY much like southlake and not be a fottball powerhouse with a "million dollar" statium, frankly I'd rather see my tax dollars better spent.

I don't judge a place by its football team and record as being the best place to raise my children, rather i look at kids going on to 4 year universities, SAT/ACT scores, etc...

But in terms of Education, Diversity, socio econmonic weatlth, etc... the township in PA I lived in was VERY simulair to Southlake. It's even refered to as the "BUBBLE" nothing bad gets in etc...
Son no they have a bad football team. HS football is not king in PA like TX. Hockey is big, and so is lacrosse and soccer. Pro Football though is huge.

The name of the town was Peters Township.

Dragonfly....
have you looked at Coppell at all? It would be a much better commute and they have Great schools. And in your price range you'd have bigger lots over there (coppell has very small lots size generally)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM

27 posts, read 290,303 times
One of my dear friends lived in Southlake in Timmaron for a few years. I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident, but they ended up moving to Keller because of the pressure put on their kids to "keep up"...plus they had a very difficult time getting to know their neighbors who all seemed to keep to themselves. I'm sure the kids still deal with pressure at Keller High (kids are kids where ever you go), but I don't think it is as intense as Southlake. They did like their home and the convenience to Southlake Shopping Center/Square, but I think that's where contentment in SouthLake ended for them.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM

15 posts, read 47,733 times
Might be isolated, might not. Why is it that people with some coin in the bank (generally) keep to themselves? I have some friends that live in Danbury Park (700k+) in Keller who said everyone completely keeps to themselves. They used to live in another, somewhat less extravagant, neighborhood (300k -500s) and people were super friendly.

Yes, I'm being super general here - I KNOW THERE ARE FRIENDLY PEOPLE WITH MONEY. But you hear this a lot.

I wonder what that's all about.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 AM

394 posts, read 1,144,590 times
I think that when people keep to themselves it is sort of a protective mechanism. If you look too closely you'll realize that they are mererly human beings - just like you - and far from the monied ideal set forth in shows like The Real Housewives of NJ. Restated, the real fear is that you may be more truly "authentic" in terms of net worth than they are. I considered living in Colleyville, which still appeals to me over a place like Southlake. Colleyville just feels right. However, when looking at homes, no one walked over to introduce themselves or to just say "howdy." When I looked in both Bedford and North Richland Hills, people in the neighborhoods actually walked over and talked with me, my wife and kids. We got to pet their dogs . They gave us the "rundown" on various homes that had lingered on the market - which included most of the homes that we looked at since we needed to be able to move in the short term (four months) after leaving NJ.

All of these communities were very new, so it may be that people really want to start off on the right foot in newly established neighborhoods? I don't know . My community in Bedford is/was a revelation. From the very start people were forthcoming with information and very welcoming to us. Coming from NJ it still blows my mind how nice it is to be on friendly wave-in-the-morning/talk-in-the-evening terms with everyone. I'm just about certain that kind of openess bears no relation to one's net worth, but is more related to one's self worth.

Funny, really.

Thinking back to the home search, one reason that I rejected a neighborhood in Arlington was the the house across the street had a three car garage, but made it a point to arrange their two Mercedes, Audi and BMW in the driveway. I told my wife that was an overt challenge to the neighbors (these folks had something to prove). What's more humorous is that this particular community had an HOA that was unable to generate the funding to (a) maintain the gated access and (b) the homes languishing were all tract homes w/ absolutely nothing of interest outside of square footage... not that I'm judging .

Live and learn. The grass will never be greener again.

-Eric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth