U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM

54 posts, read 133,772 times

Advertisements

If you like HOAs, move to Keller.

If you want to be in an area that lacks the cookie cutter feel of new neighborhoods, move to Grapevine, Colleyville, or Southlake.

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM

3,033 posts, read 11,026,984 times
Southlake has its share of HOA's!

And I really don't know of many neighborhoods in Keller that are cookie cutter new homes? Most of the neighborhoods have very diverse looking homes.

Colleyville probably has the fewest number of HOAs.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM

I looked at homes in a lot of neighborhoods in Grapevine before moving here, but I can't remember any that had a HOA.

Maybe that's why I LOVE IT!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 AM

32,540 posts, read 51,070,183 times
there are neighborhoods in all those cities that have HOAs
maybe you don't remember because the RE did not mention them

MOST newer subdivisions have mandatory ones--many older ones have voluntary ones--ours in Bedford was a voluntary one but there was only one family that persistently did not pay dues--

Old 01-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
there are neighborhoods in all those cities that have HOAs
maybe you don't remember because the RE did not mention them

MOST newer subdivisions have mandatory ones--many older ones have voluntary ones--ours in Bedford was a voluntary one but there was only one family that persistently did not pay dues--

I disagree with the bolded, but don't care to argue it.

This is a thread about the people of Southlake who I've found to be warm, inviting, and friendly. Just like most of the people in this area.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:02 AM

I just meant that some RE agents are familiar with some neighborhoods more than others--the MLS info sheet states whether there is an HOA--voluntary or mandatory and what the dues are--so if you got an MLS sheet that info should have been available--some RE agents don't consider HOAs to be germain issue to people who are home shopping unless they have issues that might be in conflict--like running a home based business or having a short-wave radio they want to have antenna for...

This is a thread about the people of Southlake who I've found to be warm, inviting, and friendly. Just like most of the people in this area.
The thread is not totally about Southlake inhabitants...my comment was directed to one made by poster--not the OP--and there was nothing derrogatory about Southlake residents--at least that I was aware of...

Old 01-23-2010, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,219 times
Default Best Southlake Neighborhoods

My family is relocating to Southlake, TX. Southlake seems to be a great community with many wonderful neighborhoods. Can anyone recommend the best communities for homes under $575K. Are there any areas to stay away from? I read in one of the post that the SE portion of Timarron may receive heavy air traffic. Also, any information comparing Timarron, Princeton Park and Tuscan Ridge would be helpful.

Thank you!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 PM

168 posts, read 526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedtoDFW View Post
My family is relocating to Southlake, TX. Southlake seems to be a great community with many wonderful neighborhoods. Can anyone recommend the best communities for homes under $575K. Are there any areas to stay away from? I read in one of the post that the SE portion of Timarron may receive heavy air traffic. Also, any information comparing Timarron, Princeton Park and Tuscan Ridge would be helpful.

Thank you!
My opinion only (as a Southlake resident of 4 yrs)...

- A lot of people move here for the proximity to DFW airport. It takes me 15 minutes (not rush hour) to get to the airport...or more importantly, 15 minutes to get home from the airport after a trip. You cant have this proximity without the planes. Dont let anyone fool you, there is plane noise throughout Southlake. Sure some a little bit better or worse, but not enough to make a huge difference. The flight paths change based on wind conditions. Its the landings that are the noisiest and the issue. After a few months of living in our house, we just got used to it and we hardly notice it now, even on bad days.
- You will have lots of great options for a "used" home in that price range. If you give some more information about priorities, I could help give some opinions about the different neighborhoods. Do you have kids? What ages? What value do you place on walking them to school vs. driving them (still very close distances of course). Do you need trees? Big yard? Small yard? Older house? Newer house? Etc. I tend to think of the North side of 114 as more "rural feeling"...less traffic, newer homes, bigger lots, some cattle roaming around, etc. For what its worth, if I was going to spend $575k I would spend it on that side of the highway. Still 5 minutes to all the stores, etc. but just a little insulated. But I have friends that value the golf course at Timmaron, and the elementary school there is very well known and walkable from much of the neighborhood (Rockenbaugh)...

So tell us what you are looking for?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:00 PM

agree that noise from planes is problematic for Southlake but it is probably something that you can get used to--just depends on how much you are outside and what times of the day because planes aren't landing after certain hours at night

to me--just from driving through there, shopping, and looking at homes--not living there--the area NORTH of 114 is noisier because of flight paths
I don't notice much flight noise at say Southlake Town Sq when we are shopping there -- walking in and out of stores--or at the neighborhoods in that immediate area
and when I was house shopping I noticed a lot of noise at Kirkwood Hollow--north of Dove Rd--
but we were only there that one time--

will PM an excellent RE site that has good organization and some nice features not on every MLS site

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM

168 posts, read 526,027 times
Interesting. When do you shop at Town Square? During the week? Or on the weekends more?

There are more flights during the week than on weekends, so that may be why you dont hear/see them when you shop. Again, I think that this is something very hard to predict. I live north of 114, and I think that it is far worse south of 114...why? because the planes are descending, so they are even lower once they get closer to Southlake, etc. I really just believe that planes cant be avoided in Southlake, but you get used to it really quick and we dont even notice them now.

For the OP price range, Kirwood Hollow would be my top pick, especially if elementary kids are involved... that neighborhood has a particularly tight parents/kids community and brand new Durham elementary is about to go in right behind it for next year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth