Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:03 PM

15 posts, read 52,232 times

Advertisements

I am a current resident of Keller and have my home on the market so my family and I can upgrade to a bigger/nicer house. We love most things about Keller (but not the apartments and gas drilling) but are also considering moving to Southlake. We go to church in SL and do most shopping there. But two incidents a long time ago have me thinking.

One time during my son's 'academic' (for lack of a better word at that age) review I was told at the end of the discussion...something along the lines of "Wow, that was easy. Keller folks are so much more laid back. We usually get an earful from the Southlake parents!" I was shocked because there was nothing to complain about during the discussion! Another time I commented how much my son loved his class to the teacher and she begged me to tell the director since 'We get so many complaints that the 4 year olds aren't reading yet.' Both times the teacher wasn't disparaging to the other parents, just a bit beat down!

I love the lots and city planning in Southlake. The schools are (of course) good. One gets rude people wherever they go, but as corny as it sounds, I value a friendly neighborhood! The people of Keller are some of the friendliest I've ever met. I also worry that a 450k house will be considered poor by comparison!

Thanks and I mean no disrespect. I admire both cities just wanting another take!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:36 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
Also there is an area that used to be called roanoke and northlake and people fought to be called southlake. So now it's southlake.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM

394 posts, read 1,256,535 times
Stick with the great neighbors. Every sitation is different and you can't predict the future..., but I'd rather live towards the upper end of a modest town with great neighbors than towards the bottom end in an upscale town. The problem being that the "climbers" are the ones who have the problems... and you know what end they live on. Constantly being judged sucks...

Then again, your home will likely retain its value in Southlake... So maybe a little adventure carries relatively low risks for you? Go for it.

I'd much prefer Colleyville.

-Eric

Old 08-19-2009, 08:11 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
ok heres my take, we have moved quite a bit and have had kids in schools within 3 states and lived in various towns etc... (our town in PA was almost identical to Southlake....we now live in Keller)
My kids are in all 3 levels of school...elem, MS and HS. (so I do have a bit of perspective on the changes that exist in each)

Yes. Carroll schools are great, no question. But with that greatness comes ALOT of pressure to maintain it, that pressure runs downstream from the Superintendant to the teachers. The parents are a huge driving force and are very invloved etc...
The pressure to maintain TOP preformace in state tests is top prority. Teachers are pressured by the Principals who are pressured by top school officals.
Sometimes this leads to a very tunnel vision in teaching and dealing with kids etc...

The senior HS pricipal left at the begining of summer...quoted as saying "although Carroll is a exceptional district with exceptional students trying to lead under a microscope of that intenestiy is very difficult."

1. elemtary school:
you will not notice much difference between say...shady grove elem in Keller and any southlake elem. Strong PTA, lots of parent volunteers, kids love school, lots of birthday parties etc... Kids are kids and at this age they really don't notice if your jeans are from walmart or nordstroms. Your childs friends will come over to play and vice versa no matter what type of neighborhood you live in or what type of car you drive. They don't care, they just want to play and have fun etc...

2: Middle school:
NO matter where you live or what your socio-economic status is MS is hard, and kids can be cruel (girls more than boys)
By this age the kids are Extremely self aware of thier appearence and the main thin is TO FIT IN. so, if your child has a real orthodonic need... It had better be in full swing by 7th grade. braces etc... are the norm for 7-8th grade.
Clothes do matter and kids notice...
Southlake the norms are: Abercrombie, Hollister, juicy, ed hardy, coach, cell phones, etc... (keller as well to some extent)
They notice the cars you drive and what neighborhood you live in etc...
Southlake 6-8th graders hang out in town center in masses dropped off by parents with quite a bit of spending money. (keller from what I noticed it more of 8th grade and some 7th)

HS:
by now kids have mellowed a bit on the clothes status. walmart v-necks t's are cool, when paired with Lucky (or simular) brand jeans. Its all about the jeans! Coach purses and big bags. (no back packs...it's all about the bag!)
But the appearence thing really bugs me (mostly girls) majority of the HS girls (and this is Keller too) Tan and get highlights in thier hair. (I am a mean mom because I do not allow either of these) lots have manicure with acrylic nails (french tips) again we don't since my daughter plays tennis and I have told having nails and tennis don't mix.

The mall (towncenter)...these kids have money, They go and shop and eat out and go to the movies all the time. I don't pay for this, so my daughter has had to say no if she is out of money. She gets an allowence for chores around the house about $20/month. Most of her friends get 20/week. Just go to Towncenter on any friday or saturday night (when no football game is being played) and just try to get into a resturant, starbucks, etc...

The 16th birthday.... a car. We are NOT buying our kid a car. we are in the minority here in Keller (my 15 year old will have use of my husbands jeep that sits all week since he has a company car.)
These kids are getting NICE cars and if it this bad in Keller, I can't imagine what it's like in southlake.

So... I am very glad we didn't end up in southlake as our realtor was pushing. We would have been in an entry level home in the older section of southlake, at the top of our budget. I am not one who likes to play keep up with the jones'. We don't buy a new car every 3 years, we drive ours until they drop out from under us!
We don't take 2-3 extraveant vacations a year...
Our kids can't play every sport and do every after school activity offered. and with the ones they love we can't afford to put them in club level, travel, etc...

So thats is my opinion, I like southlake, it very pretty and the city has done a fantastic job in planning etc... We use the tennis facility and love to go to Towncenter. But... it's just a little too pretentious and superficial for me. Not that EVERYONE who lives there is that way.... just the overall feel I get ( I mean hey there are trailer homes and some pretty run down houses in southlake!)

Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflycafe View Post
I also worry that a 450k house will be considered poor by comparison!
If you are worried about this then do not move to South Lake. Who wants to be around folks who think your house is "poor?"

On the other hand, you will probably not end up being close friends with people who think that way.

The thing is, no matter where you live you will find good folks and some folks who you would prefer not to know.

Based on what you have written it seems to me that you have your priorities straight and you love your kids and are involved in their lives.

I'd go for it. Find your dream house and move to an exceptional school district in a town that is beautiful. I know folks in South Lake and most of them are salt of the earth who happen to have a lot of money.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,424,364 times
I have the same take as 5stones. We could afford to move there as well, but didn't want to go along with all the pressures it would be to keep up for our kids. I grew up in that environment and I don't want that for my kids.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
FMI --- what part of Keller has students in Southlake/Carroll schools?
I know part of Grapevine is zone for Carroll ISD but am curious as to what part of Keller would be
and were are the apartments that are close enough to bother you since I can't picture any apts that might be congruent to Southlake...

Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

15 posts, read 52,232 times
Thanks guys...good thoughts all around. I really appreciate the breakdown, 5stones. Just since I wrote the original post I passed two teenagers on 1709...one in a brand new 911 turbo and another in a Mercedes CLK. You gotta be kidding me! Although all kids (and adults!) go through the materialism phase, I would hate for the bar to be set so high. Geez! I don't care how much money I have sitting in the bank, how can you teach the value of a dollar and hard work if your starting point as a teenager is a 90k car!? Heck, it's even an issue in my current neighborhood. I live in a nice, but modest, place and my neighbor just bought her teenager a used BMW as her first car. My dad was president of an oil company and I was lucky to get a used Jetta with a door covered in primer paint! <<soapbox closed>>

Well, perhaps I've answered my own question. I just think some of the neighborhoods are so cute over there with the old trees and big lots (Southridge Lakes and Stone Lakes come to mind) and I can't imagine people in those neighborhoods being too pretentious. I just like to go outside in the evenings and throw the frisbee and football with my boys and talk with nice folks.

Oh, and the original post is a bit confusing. After rereading it I see that I didn't mention the school I refer to is a Mother's Day Out program for pre-schoolers. I can't find the edit button to change!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
FYI
once a comment has been posted after yours you can't edit it any longer

Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 AM

358 posts, read 1,075,001 times
LOves2read,

Florence Elementary in Keller has Southlake residents as well as Bear Creek Intermediatte, Keller Middle and Keller High. The SL area that feeds into the above schools are just North of 1709 and West of Pearson. A small section there is Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth