U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 7,955 times

Advertisements

Another one of these advice threads sorry.
I'll be relocating with my job in February of 2010 and we will be looking to buy a home in the general Dallas/FTW area. Its just myself, my wife, and our little boy who will be 1 next March. I'll be working out of Southlake,TX but that area is way out of our budget.

We're a young family looking for something in the 200k or less range house wise, in an area with good schools where we can plant our roots. I don't mind a little commute, so we have been looking for something that would be fairly central to Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington as my wife will be looking to go back to work once the little guy is a little older.

So far we have browsed around online looking at Keller, Bedford, Hurst and Irving. Was just looking for some opinions on these areas or any other areas that are good within the budget mentioned above.

thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 12:51 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,975,551 times
Add in Grapevine and North Richland Hills and within all those areas you are sure to find something that's a good fit. The problem is that it just covers so much area and neighborhoods. Also, since ideas of what place is best varies from family to family, so you really have to spend some time here in person to understand the difference between them all and make that decision.

So, my suggestion is to rent for 6 months to a year before settling, especially since your child is so young and your wife isn't ready to work just yet. Then you'll have a much better idea of where you might want to be.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:58 PM

394 posts, read 1,144,776 times
Hurst, Euless, Bedford, or North Richland Hills.

I relocated my family here from NJ just this past year after 15 years of working in "the city." It's been the best move of my life.

Come on down!

-Eric

Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 PM

36,790 posts, read 40,953,283 times
These are all good selections if you are working in Southlake. Irving is on the other side of the airport and I would eliminate it. Keller ISD or Northwest ISD are both top of the line as is Grapevine / Colleyville. I love Bedford for all the trees if you don't mind a 80's style home.

Be ready for a culture shock. People here actually say hello & are overall friendly.

Use your blinker when you drive & the correct spelling is Y'all not Ya'll.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 PM

10,551 posts, read 22,457,090 times
Grapevine would be perfect for you!! DH and I have lived here for 7 years now, and it is a really great city. We have very nice parks, library, and an excellent community rec center. Plus, the city hosts 2 huge street festivals each year. Grapevine has very low crime, and fairly low property taxes since we get most of the sales tax from DFW Airport. It's a 20-30 minute drive to both Dallas and Fort Worth, and even less to Arlington. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

You CAN find a house here under $200k (We live in one!) but you are going to have to have a good Realtor who stays on top of the listings and you'll have to be able to see houses the DAY they go on the market. PM me if you need the name of a good landlord for a rental house. We rented for 6 years before finally taking the plunge and buying!

GCISD schools are very well-regarded. http://www.gcisd-k12.org/

Old 08-29-2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks "Y'all" for the great replies, we have some researchin to do it looks like.

Always appreciate more insights

Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM

140 posts, read 243,623 times
Grapevine is kind of pricey because of its close location to the DFW airport. A friend of mine wanted a kind of central location because he wasn't sure where he was going to be working. He bought a house that is Euless. You go over airport freeway and the main street exit. Then go north about a mile or so and his house was in one of those side streets there. He seemed to like it. It's a good central location. Iving has become "Little Mexico", and no I don't really have anything against Mexicans. Just thought you would like to know.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:59 PM

140 posts, read 243,623 times
Keller is the best community out of all you mentioned in your original post.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM

What about Flour Mound? Someone at work told me this was a good area, with good schools. Seems thats pretty much the case after doing a little research, but curious what your opinions of Flour Mound are.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM

394 posts, read 1,144,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRay View Post
What about Flour Mound? Someone at work told me this was a good area, with good schools. Seems thats pretty much the case after doing a little research, but curious what your opinions of Flour Mound are.

Thanks!
Too far out fo me. Keller, Flower Mound and Trophy Club all have some nice new homes in their communities - since those areas are ripe for growth. I prefer H-E-B because it is older and more settled. There are far fewer newer homes in this area, but you can find them. Our community is one of perhaps a total of three (across all three cities) just being established. Areas to the north towards North Richland Hills and Keller have vastly more newer communities and growth. The same for areas on the north side of Grapevine Lake. Closer analysis may show that those area schools aren't what they could be - I suspect.

I think Colleyville is close to ideal (to my mind) and Grapevine, too, may have what you're looking for (not my cup of tea, but that's a personal thing).

When you come around and visit, go out to the Flower Mound area. It may impress you with its potential. There's certainly nothing to dislike about the area except it is a lot further and more bothersome to drive than it looks on a map.

My $0.02.

-Eric

Last edited by Eric S; 09-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: I see that the OP will be working in Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth