Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM

8 posts, read 24,689 times

Advertisements

hi everyone.

i may be moving to fw area in about a month so i would like some info about the area.

anyone has suggestions regarding downtown area/cultural district?

one thing i'm most concerned about is safety but i would also like some new amenities and maybe places that are "walkable".

thanx in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,683,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangl View Post
hi everyone.

i may be moving to fw area in about a month so i would like some info about the area.

anyone has suggestions regarding downtown area/cultural district?

one thing i'm most concerned about is safety but i would also like some new amenities and maybe places that are "walkable".

thanx in advance!!
Texas cities in general, like much of the South and SW, are not very pedestrian friendly. It's actually a remarkable amenity for a neighborhood to have sidewalks. Having said that, there are some parts of Fort Worth that are pleasant for walking. Downtown is quite nice, and very safe feeling. The neighborhoods of the near Southside (Fairmount, Ryan Place, Mistletoe Heights, Berkeley Place, Univ. Place) and near the Cultural district (Arlington Heights etc.) are also somewhat more pedestrian friendly. Mostly, though, the automobile dominates and few concessions are made for walkers/bikers etc.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:28 PM

8 posts, read 24,689 times
thanx for the info. i'm looking into cultural district for a place to live.
any suggestions or recommendations?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,083,705 times
I live in Ryan Place, and it's a good neighborhood. Lots of people around here walk every evening. The house across the street (2600 Willing Ave.) will be for sale soon. I ride my bicycle occasionally, and it's not death-defying.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,504,574 times
downtown ftw/sundance sq is really very safe for a downtown area and while there at lots of restaurants I don't think you will find shops like cleaners and grocery store that convenient

not sure about apts in the "cultural district" because I don't think there are apts there from what I remember driving in the area

Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 58,948 times
Actually there are hundreds of apartments in the cultural district. The new mixed-use developments along West 7th Street, such as West 7th and So7 are now leasing units and sound like what you may be looking for as far as walkability, depending on your budget. I would also look downtown at the Firestone apartments on the West side of downtown - i've had many friends who lived there and loved it.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,504,574 times
budget might be concern--OP did not mention price range

Old 09-07-2009, 10:59 AM

140 posts, read 269,440 times
Downtown Ft. Worth is very nice, and it is also very safe--even in the wee hours of the morning. If you're working in/near downtown, I would try to get a place downtown if you can afford it. If not, then the apts along Henderson are nice and also 7th street.

Have a look around. Things have changed a little since I took these pictures though:

Fort Worth, TX 2003 Photo Gallery by Craig Coffaro at pbase.com

Old 09-13-2009, 11:34 PM

33 posts, read 62,416 times
I lived in downtown ft worth for a year in amli upper west side. It was ok...walking wasn't a big deal other than watching out for idiots who run red lights(which happens at every red light in the state). There's not much to do in downtown unless you do nothing but go to clubs and eat. I found that for such a large city you always had to go to arlington or dallas for anything interesting. All in all, it was the most boring large city I've ever been to.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:04 AM

19 posts, read 65,118 times
Default to wildcatt

I lived in and around FW for many years and loved it. I could never say it was boring. There is the symphony and many nice museums if that is what you are looking for. It is a university city as is Dallas. There is a lovely historical district, there is downtown ...SunDance Sq, there are C&W clubs, and other types of entertainment, good food, there are some very nice elite country clubs, there is always the infamous North Side...FW has charm, history, culture, and for the most part, lots of friendly people until the yankees discovered it. FW is a large city w/a somewhat hometown atmosphere. Unlike Dallas, it has personality. Dallas is cosmopolitan and could be Chicago, or any other large city. Dallas has some shopping opportunities that FW doesn't such as the Galleria, Saks, well known designer knock-offs, etc. The only thing Dallas is famous for is that is where JFK was assassinated. The traffic in both cities is something to be reckoned with....as is most large cities. The economy is probably better there than in other parts of the nation....yes, there are closures but not as much as other areas of the nation. IT IS HOT!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth