Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,341 times

Advertisements

We are a young family of 5 . We want to relocate to texas but do not know where to move. We are looking in the Dallas area...but exactly where we cannot figure out. Also looking for a quiet, family oriented, safe, good schools...willing to travel max 20 miles to the city to work. My husband needs to work in a hospital facility. Our price range is 100,000 to 250,000. We are looking for 5+ bed 3+ baths room for a pool and a lot big enough for space around the house. We currently live in Compton Cali... the school systems are terrible and to send my children to school in another area is hard to do. We have a nice home however the neighborhood sucks. We cannot afford to live here and send our children to private schools so that is one of our main priorities for moving. It seems as though the prices will give us the opportunity to own our home for less. We are hoping for a nice home in a safe neighborhood and good schools. Please help...i am so confused ....I considered Arizona but it seems to be for retirement.. maybe i'm wrong . Any advice is helpful ... thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2006, 01:04 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,985,955 times
Judging from the things you listed as wanting,you would be better off looking in a smaller city or town rather than a large metro area.Commutes in DFW are judged by minutes,or even hours,rather than miles.Nice,safe schools usually come with a steep housing cost in the metro areas also.Hospital workers are needed in every community in Texas,so employment will not be a problem.What you are looking for is available in many towns all over Texas.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:37 PM
BDD

3 posts, read 18,596 times
I can understand your confusion, I've been going around in circles with research myself!! I've visited the Dallas area and I really like it. I have come to realize that the property taxes in all surrounding areas are pretty steep compared to what I am used to. Utilities and water are pretty steep too. So be sure to look into all of that before you determine how much house you can afford!! I hear ya about Cali, I used to live there myself and the cost of housing is highway robbery.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,171 times
Default Maybe I can help

My name is Don McClain and I am from CA myself. I moved to Fort Worth, TX in 1993 and have been back and forth to CA. Last summer, my wife and I were looking for our first house and we happened upon Historymaker Homes in Ft. Worth. We chose the community of FAlcon Ridge which is on the west side of Ft. Worth, about 15 minutes to downtown Ft. Worth. We had an incredible experience with Historymaker. I am one of those buyers that does not trust anybody up front. I was calling all over the place to figure out if Historymaker was a reputable company. I also had my own engineers coming out to look at how the house was built and I got to say that they got thumbs up from many critical people. You will absolutely get the most square footage for the price. We bought a 2650 square foot house for $135,000 and could'nt believe it. They also offered many first time homebuyer programs that we took advantage of. The most important thing to us was that the house was a quality built house. I am happy to say now that I work for the company and in the community where I live. Falcon Ridge is a quiet community that is located next to a huge ranch that makes it feel like you are living in the country. We have several nurses that live in the community because the Ft. Worth Hospital District is about 10minutes from here. You can easily buy a 3500 sq ft home with us for $150,000. You can add up to 7 bedrooms if you want. There are 3 lakes near by and plenty of shopping close by. If you have any questions, call me at 817-246-3077. Look forward to hearing from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtpietwo
We are a young family of 5 . We want to relocate to texas but do not know where to move. We are looking in the Dallas area...but exactly where we cannot figure out. Also looking for a quiet, family oriented, safe, good schools...willing to travel max 20 miles to the city to work. My husband needs to work in a hospital facility. Our price range is 100,000 to 250,000. We are looking for 5+ bed 3+ baths room for a pool and a lot big enough for space around the house. We currently live in Compton Cali... the school systems are terrible and to send my children to school in another area is hard to do. We have a nice home however the neighborhood sucks. We cannot afford to live here and send our children to private schools so that is one of our main priorities for moving. It seems as though the prices will give us the opportunity to own our home for less. We are hoping for a nice home in a safe neighborhood and good schools. Please help...i am so confused ....I considered Arizona but it seems to be for retirement.. maybe i'm wrong . Any advice is helpful ... thank u

Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 PM

A 2650 sq ft for $ 135,000 and a 3500 sq ft for $ 150,000?That is $ 51 and $ 43 a sq ft respectively.I would be extremely suspicious of this.There is a certain level you cannot go below and maintain any reasonable amount of quality.I live out in west Texas where housing is cheaper than Ft Worth,and our run of the mill spec homes run about $ 60-65 a sq ft here. Something is definitely not right with this picture.

Caveat emptor! (buyer beware)

Last edited by lifertexan; 07-17-2006 at 07:08 PM..

Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 PM

170 posts, read 471,871 times
Default Lifertexan

YOu live west of Ft Worth. Are yu familiar with the areas of Aledo, Hudson Oaks, Anneta, Willow Park etc? We are visiting the area next month and would appreciate any feedback.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 PM

Sorry,but no I'm not.I am still a couple of hours on further s-west from there.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,327,041 times
Aledo, Hudson Oaks, Anneta, and Willow Park are all GREAT places in Parker County to live and commute to Ft Worth......
stay away from Dallas..way too busy. Ft Worth has enough of a big medical community. i worked for JPS Health Systems there, and also HCA Columbia Plaza Medical Center and also ambulatory surgery centers.......plenty of work for us medical professionals in Ft Worth, why go to Dallas?

Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 AM

364 posts, read 1,414,508 times
You might also consider Waco and Temple. Both are smaller than D/FW, cheaper and easier to get around in. Waco has two large hospitals (Hillcrest and Providence) and Temple has one (Scott & White). Less crime, lower taxes and just fewer problems than large cities. Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy Texas.

Rick

P.S. I agree with lifertexan...Don McClain sounds like he is a salesman for Historymaker Homes. If it sounds too good to be true...

Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,341 times
Thank u so much for all ur advice....it is well noted. I have decided to find a suburb on the outskirts of dallas and fortworth so that we can travel to both within a hour to hour and half. Now I cant settle on a builder....centex and Fox and Jacobs....any suggestions advice and experience welcom about these home builders.....I have been doing some research and have seen people with problems as far as their foundations...cracks and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth