Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM

53 posts, read 243,236 times

Advertisements

I completely agree 5stones... I'm all for giving the good and bad. It just seems like most only have negative things to say about VOWS. What's funny, is that my husband works in Dallas and all of his coworkers either make fun of Keller or don't even know where or what it is.

I think people need to remember also that this area is growing at a ridiculous speed so it does have growing pains, the roads outside of our development are awful! Also, I would guess that foreclosures and houses for sale are more prevalent because there are so many new homes to choose from. Many choose the brand new house down the street over the 5 year old house,leaving people who need to relocate no choice but to sell cheap or rent. Also, in other areas, if someone looses their job or can't afford their mortgage anymore, they can usually sell in time whereas out here quick sales are rare.

VOWS is HUGE and still building. For every foreclosure or person who dislikes it, there are 10 who LOVE it and plan on settling here for the long haul
This is definitely not an area to buy if you plan on selling soon though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 829 View Post
guys,

thank you so much for your advice/suggestions

i did myself a favor and drove out to woodland springs yesterday and thought it was pretty nice... i drove through the saratoga subdivision to get there and thought it was great...

just to note - we are a pretty young family - my girlfriend is still in college and has three children that she is raising - i love the kids dearly and treat them as they are my own so driving through VOWS (or at least i think it's VOWS, unless it's completely different) it was nice to see parents walking their dog while their little one is in their power wheels or three kids tossing a football around... that's what makes me happy to see ... that the neighborhood is safe enough for anything like that...

i don't see that too much in irving - i live in las colinas but it is an arm and a leg to live out there - and i'm in a 1bed 1bath apt right now and pay a ridiculous 1,100/mo!

anyway, keep the insight coming - i do appreciate it all!
PLano is nice. Homes hold there value a little better there.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,480 times
Default Moving to San Antonio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RES View Post
We had houses picked out that were in the low 200's, but they got snatched up. We went up this weekend and found a great house in Park Glen that is perfect for our family, and was about $40K less. It is pretty close to my husband's work, the schools are very close and look good, the neighborhood is attractive, and our church there is fantastic. I can't wait to close. The house is awesome for the money! The street is nice, the area is well kept, lots of families and the yard is a nice size too.

We did look at a house in the Villages of Woodland Springs, and if it had only had a gameroom upstairs, we would have bought it in a heartbeat. It is a great place for families. The price was not bad for the area and the community amenities.

And about HOA fees, we pay our HOA here in San Antonio $250/year (just went up from $200). I thought it was a lot, but not compared to Ft. Worth. We have tennis courts, a playground, jogging trails, a pavilion, pool with lifeguards, and a brand new clubhouse. Our new house will be about the same but only a park and jogging trails I think.
Hi- We live in Saratoga in Keller (Which is Northwest ISD, not Keller) and we are putting our house up for sale soon to move to SA...Any suggestions about Bexar County vs Comal? I have heard really bad things about Bexar..ie constant reassesments...Thanks!

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1966 View Post
Hi- We live in Saratoga in Keller (Which is Northwest ISD, not Keller) and we are putting our house up for sale soon to move to SA...Any suggestions about Bexar County vs Comal? I have heard really bad things about Bexar..ie constant reassesments...Thanks!
You will probably want to post that question on the San Antonio board.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 43,503 times
The smaller developments are where the developers are going back in and buying properties that weren't snatched up earlier. We're in Keller proper and are now seeing several "mini-developments" occurring as the land owners for various reasons are now selling. One spot near us was five acres and is now being bulldozed and nudged into one such development.

We moved to Keller 20+ years ago when it was small and the school district was very, very good. (the reason we came). Unfortunately the school district is also undergoing growing pains (looking to add the 4th high school, each with 2000+ students) and I don't think it's that great anymore...

A big problem with the west side of the area is that it is a "new" part of Fort Worth so city services like ambulances, fire trucks, and police aren't always available in what might seem like a timely manner. That will take care of itself of course as the area builds itself out, but there have been some sad stories come out of the situation, since unless the circumstances are severe and specific, Keller fire trucks etc. will stop at the railroad tracks.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,852 times
Default Keller hmmmm

We have lived in Keller with our two children who went through KISD system since kindergarten. One graduated KHS and one will graduate KHS '09. As an educator, I have to say I am sorry we settled here.

When we first came to this area pop was 13k and now has more than doubled (according to stats). Keller is a wannabe Southlake or Colleyville. The school system is overrated even according to long time residents.

Many families have had to enlist tutors for math in HS due to lack of quality curriculum. KHS is experiencing a huge drug problem which is not addressed as it is a "reflection of our society". Also CHS is experiencing the same with a recent drug bust in Watauga whose main source of distribution was CHS.

The lack of fun activities,as well as a lack of parental supervision due to having to keep up with the lifestyle of others causes many to turn to unhealthy habits.
Please don't believe the hype and check into the town very carefully. We have spent money supplementing our children's education which we could have/should have used for a home in a community with a higher quality of education. For example, compare the stats of BISD to Keller and you will see they are similiar yet BISD has many more sub groups than Keller as well as a lower per capita income level. This leads me to believe BISD does a much better job educating their students than Keller. Also, if you look into the Special Ed. needs of students, Keller is lacking.

From everything I know I believe the GCISD is the place to be. They have a much lower drug problem, although the suicide rate was a concern there as well. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I am just telling you our view and experience as a 15 year resident.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:08 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
I concur with much of that. GCISD imo would be a much better enviroment. Yes you can afford more home in Keller, but that's were it ends. Grapevine just has more "atmosphere" to it. More of a hometown feel. Less sterile.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 8,852 times
Default Park Glen

Park Glen is zoned for KISD or BISD depending on where you live. BISD is an excellent district and if Keller had the diverse population BISD has they would not be able to be as successful. Park Glen Elementary is crowded but a good school but so is Hardeman Elementary.

The reason the prices are low is there are an abundance of both new and used homes in the area. The Park Glen area doesn't increase dramatically in value due to this. Demand is more for the new homes so, low demand high supply leads to decrease in market value or a neighborhood that doesn't have the rapid increase that other neighborhoods have seen.

It is a convenient location though with lots of families.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM

68 posts, read 233,392 times
Smile NEW homes in Keller..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2happy View Post
I am interested in Keller Tx as a place to relocate. I have heard about the explosive growth of the area, the traffic and the high property taxes. I actually visited there a few years ago and it was nice. What I did not like were the homes on very small lots and the fact that I did not see any natural food stores. Has this changed at all? Also, what is the school system really like? Are the Kellerisd schools rated well? I have one in 10th grade and one in 5th grade. Which school district is better- Central, Fossil Ridge or Keller? Another question I have concerns safety. Is this a safe area for families? I appreciate your response. Thanks in advance.
NEW homes in the Keller area are very abundant. You can get a good deal on one at this time. Many builders have inventory homes that they are really dealing on now. Most lots are not huge, but you can get larger ones if you know where to look. Some subdivisions have oversized and cul-de sac lots that have lot premiums, so I guess it depends on how much a large lot is worth to you. Moderator cut: real estate agent solicitation is not allowed in the forums

Last edited by da jammer; 03-31-2008 at 07:01 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 20,971 times
Default "West" Keller....

I moved to the area a little over 2 years ago. We were in a position to spend up to about $350-$375k. My job is in Westlake (wife is a stay at home mom, so her commute isn't an issue).

That budget allowed us to seriously consider most areas other than Westlake (over a million) or Southlake (over 500k).

We looked at Flower Mound, NRH, Grapevine (nice, but TOO many airplanes!) and Keller and the surrounding area.

We moved here from RURAL, Central PA. We had a 1.25 acre lot, on a hillside, overlooking a river valley.....We weren't going to find the same thing here!

We looked all over...My favorite community was Lantana..but the commute and schools were good, but not ideal. I also liked Heritage, but my wife felt it felt "too big".

I also looked at many of the "established" neighborhoods in keller...but frankly found many of the homes pretty dated, even though they were only 5-8 years old.

There were a few homes that we liked in Hidden Lakes, and a couple on the water in a development in far south Keller near NRH whose name I can't remeber...Lakes of something...

And a home in Flower Mound ...estates of stone something or other (loved it, but it sold before our house in PA)

Ultimately, we choose Keller...Well.....the Saratoga development in far North Ft Worth. Keller Post Office..Not Even Keller schools- Northwest ISD.

We loved the feel of the neighborhood, the size of home we could purchase (about 4000 sq ft) the commute, and the schools.

YES the lots are small...about 60-70 wide at best. But we got a lot at the end of a street , over looking a huge greenbelt area...Actually a pretty private back yard.

It's a great, growing area.....

It's true the VOWS..has a reputation as being "not up to Keller"....but the truth is there are PLENTY of neighborhoods in Keller proper that where the homes are much smaller, no bigger lot, and no more quality of construction...such as Chase Oaks. The problem is, the more affordable the neighborhood, the higher percentage of people who don't improve or at least maintain their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth