U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 07:13 PM

10,632 posts, read 22,659,584 times

Advertisements

https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

My husband and I have lived in Grapevine for 7 years now, and I think we would get along pretty well. Grapevine is mostly a conservative, family-oriented town, and the voting here tends to be heavily Republican. My husband is also a big 2nd Amendment person, and he loves being able to go shooting at the Bass Pro Shop's range whenever he likes!

You will not get as much home for your money in Grapevien as you will in other cities (Keller, Bedford, Euless) but your home WILL hold its value and you will get to be a part of a wonderful city! We have a gorgeous library and community gym ($35 a year for membership) that are funded by the taxes we receive from our mall, entertainment area/hotels, and the DFW Airport terminals' sales tax. It's a shame you can't be here this weekend for Grapefest...I would gladly sell you a glass of wine while I am volunteering!

There are several big gyms around here: 24 Hour Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, Larry North, etc. And there are several dealers who sell equipment, too.

Tell the wife not to worry about tornadoes. The big ones are really more common in far West Texas, and in Oklahoma. We are a lot more likely to get hail here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM

127 posts, read 390,330 times
ChritieP

Well, you sound like real nice people in a real nice part of Texas. It's nice to hear about the the shooting range, fitness centers and equipment dealers. My wife and our son enjoy fishing and target shooting, so the Bass shop sounds great!

We are really looking forward to coming down in the spring. My wife read your post and wished she could be there this weekend for that glass of wine!

Thanks for the information, link and your welcoming post.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 PM

37,164 posts, read 41,379,465 times
Mike, come on down & we'll go shooting at the range. You ought to take a week & visit the state but you sound like your about 80% Texan already. We value our freedoms also and pretty proud of our rebellious attitudes.

Can't think of a better place to be from.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:55 PM

240 posts, read 495,689 times
9mm Mike, love the handle! Sounds like you'll fit in just fine in Texas. Very gun friendly, mostly conservative, and your ideals are shared by the majority in the state. We've been living in Texas 12 years, after living in MS., VA., NC, FL, AL, GA, AZ, and LA, due to my previous employment.

Grapevine is nice, just tons of traffic to deal with! We lived in Arlington for six years, then my employer transferred me to the Beaumont area. Retired this past July, after buying a home in Hunt County on Lake Tawakoni, and moving here in April. No traffic here, and a very rural area.

If you're into firearms, check out Texasguntalk.com, forums have quite a lot of info from local Texans regarding ranges, gun shops, etc.

Good luck with the move!

Old 09-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Thank you kindly for the info Pawdog. My family and I are looking forward to making Texas our new home state.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:32 AM

13,398 posts, read 22,809,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm Mike View Post
Hi Y'all,

My family and I have been looking to escape New Jersey. We had the misfortune of being born to a state that has become a liberal h*ll hole.

Our core values make us believe that we are Texan's at heart for these reasons:

1. We believe in Freedom of Choice
2. We believe in the right to bear arms
3. We believe in personal responsibility
4. We do not subscibe to the belief that goverment knows what is best.
5. We believe in being friendly to our neighbors and community members
6. We believe that "illegal aliens" do not belong in this country and it is not our job to support them. The thing people don't get is in the name itself. They are breaking the law, hence "illegal" alien. We have no problem with those coming to our great country legally, going through the proper channels and screenings, being Documented and taking an oath to be an American Citizen.
7. The right to bear arms. I know I stated that alredy, but this is very important to us as Gov. Coraslime has stated that he would like to be the 1st state to ban guns altogether.

With that said, we have decided that Fort Worth maybe the right place for us. I lived there for a short time 13 years ago and LOVED it and the people. I am a in-home Personal Trainer and am looking to continue my 13 years as such in the Ft. Worth area.

We are thinking about visiting the city of Grapevine in March/April. We have seen some good things posted about this city on CD. We feel Grapevine would be good because I could travel to Southlake, Ft Worth etc for clients.

So do you feel we would be welcome, and how is the personal fitness industry in your area?

We own a home in NJ and would sell it and get an apartment temporaily to see where the majority of my clients would be for my business. Then we would look to buy a home. Any comments or advice is welcome.

PS. My wife is a little afraid of the poss. tornados - but is willing to trade the rude unfriendly elitist people and high taxes of NJ for them!
Hello Mike,

We just moved here (to Dallas) from California and we feel very welcome. Texas seems to welcome anybody reguardless of what you believe. Its one of the reasons I love it here. My wife and I have a "government, stay out" or libertarian points of view. We believe in fiscal responsibility and social tolerance (i.e. we dont want the government telling us we cant have a gun nor do we believe the government should tell gays they cant marry nor do we believe that the government should buy up dying companies). We have met many, many people who share our views here in Dallas and Fort Worth.

Texas is a very gun friendly place. You should have absolutely no problem there.

One thing I will caution you on is that there are alot of people here (legally and illegaly) from Latin American (in the Metroplex, mostly from Mexico and El Salvador). The difference between a state like Texas vs. California, is that Texas doesnt coddle them where as California does. I like Texas' approach. They dont actively try and stop them as hardcore as Arizona does, but they make sure that they will bust their butt if they are going to come here by having virtually no government programs in place for them. Its alot easier to come here and do nothing in California. Alot of people move to Texas and adopt a very hardcore "anti-Mexican" attitude. Oddly enough, the native Texans I know dont pay them much mind. But the large precence of Mexicans here freaks out some people from other parts of the country.

At any rate, I feel you and youre family will be very welcomed here.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM

LAnative10:

Thanks for the info and the welcome.

We also have a libertarian view. We believe in "Live and Let Live" and "Live Free or Die". We don't feel the need for Big Brother to keep taking our Freedoms away while giving Free rides to illegals and those who like to stay on the welfare rolls.

We are looking to live in a community with like minded people. Who can be pleasant and caring to their neighbors and community members. This includes all people of different races and we don't care about anyones sexual orientation. If you are a good person and a true citizen of the US - then we are glad to meet ya.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 PM

37,164 posts, read 41,379,465 times
Mike, one of the great things our state issues is a concealed handgun permit. I carry when I need to go to bad parts of town but just having the ability to carry if needed is a pleasure and a right all law abiding citizens should enjoy.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Mike, one of the great things our state issues is a concealed handgun permit. I carry when I need to go to bad parts of town but just having the ability to carry if needed is a pleasure and a right all law abiding citizens should enjoy.

I Could not agree with you more.

No one wants to shoot another human being. That said, if it comes to an intruder or car jacker trying to harm myself or my family - I'll choose to save myself and family before I'll stop and ask the wrong doer what happened in his past to make him act this way? Believe it or not, there are a lot of people in NJ that would let themselves be victims so as not to hurt another "human being".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth