Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 16,368 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Ok, I admit I am a dork. I posted this question as a reply on another thread, so here goes again.... We are seriously considering moving to the Stephenville area in Spring '08. What can you tell us about the weather? We have heard that ya'll get alot of flooding and tornados, but I did notice that rdw246 posted that Stephenville usually gets missed by the severe weather.
We love everything we have heard about Stephenville, from the smaller population, to the horse action, to the realestate (you are MUCH more reasonable than here in NW NM). But......gotta know about that weather.
Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Erath County has had 35 tornadoes in 57 years with two injuries and no deaths. Only one was an F3. That isn't a bad record. 32 floods were reported in that county in the same number of years, no deaths or injuries.

There have been 416 weather related events in those 57 years, but the only deaths were caused by excessive heat which totalled 53 and winter storms or ice storms which caused 10 deaths.

The heat and humidity in Texas is terrible, but you may like it. Many say they do, but I really don't see how or why.

Stephenville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 110% greater than the overall U.S. average.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I currently live in NW NM, and while it does get pretty hot here in the summer, the humidity is never really very bad.
We are looking at Stephenville for many reasons, but we really like that there seems to be alot of horse-related activity there (from what we hear, anyway). Here in NM, if you're not a team roper (which we aren't) there aren't alot of other things to do. We have maybe two to three barrel races a month, no team penning, no calf roping, only a handful of rodeos and about 5-6wks of horse racing. However, you can team rope practically 7 nights a week.
In any case, I really do appreciate your input and information.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:45 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,296 times
CancrasherRN, I just posted in the other thread in response to your weather questions!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 13,407 times
Stephenville has the Lone Star Arena (Lone Star Arena - home (http://www.lonestararena.com/index.cfm - broken link))
If you haven't seen the site, it's worth a visit. Very busy arena and activities for all age groups.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:13 PM

3 posts, read 13,407 times
Oh yeah. About the weather. The summers can be hit and miss. Last year was the hottest on record with over 40 days over 100 degrees and fairly humid. This summer there were 0 days over 100 degrees. We had a very wet spring/early summer here and should end the year with almost "50 of rain. We had some strong storms this spring but only a couple produced some nickel sized hail, and it was brief.

We had a few snow day's as well and a couple ice storms. You get it all!

I recall one F1 tornado that briefly touched down about 15 miles south of town last December of all months, but it was very brief and there was no damage.

Every place has it's ups and downs. I grew up in Southern California and lived through many earthquakes. At least with tornadoes you can follow the weather and have some sense of whats happening.

I've lived here for a few years now and I have adjusted well. I love it!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
There are LOTS of rodeos and barrel racing around Stephenville!! :-)

Old 11-22-2007, 08:59 AM

I wanted to take a second to thank all of you for your replies. We are heading for Stephenville in December, and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! We're just coming for a visit over the holidays with plans to move there in the late spring/early summer.
I was very encouraged by all of your replies. Living in NM, I am used to my summers having days of 100 or more for most of July and August, but I'll grant you that it is a DRY heat. But I am sure that I can get used to the humidity.
Stephenville sounds great and it would seem that the people are even better!
Thanks again for everything! Can't wait to see it for myself!

Old 11-22-2007, 06:25 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancrasherRN View Post
Hi there! Ok, I admit I am a dork. I posted this question as a reply on another thread, so here goes again.... We are seriously considering moving to the Stephenville area in Spring '08. What can you tell us about the weather? We have heard that ya'll get alot of flooding and tornados, but I did notice that rdw246 posted that Stephenville usually gets missed by the severe weather.
We love everything we have heard about Stephenville, from the smaller population, to the horse action, to the realestate (you are MUCH more reasonable than here in NW NM). But......gotta know about that weather.
Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Here's a site you can look up all historical weather info on Stephenville.
Select Texas and Erath County for Stephenville.

NCDC Storm Events-Select State

Old 11-22-2007, 08:09 PM

111 posts, read 238,080 times
Default weather in Stephenville

Coming from NW NM to Stephenville, you will find the summer weather dreadful - hot and humid - and does not really cool off at night. We lived in NM (Las Cruces and Roswell) for a long time and the weather in North Texas is not as nice as NM (but then we enjoyed having some snow and cold in the winter - you may not ?).

You will probably enjoy Stephenville however - seems like a nice community.

Edit: Spring is much nicer in No Texas than in NM. Nicest time of year in my opinion, though it is the stormiest time. But no 50 mph winds! - well, unless your in the midst of a thunderstorm.

Last edited by davbetcoo; 11-22-2007 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth