U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 36,679 times

Advertisements

I am sure there are posts about this but I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on Radiant Barriers? I have researched and see that the foil type is much more efficient than the spray on. I am looking for info on companies and if it truly did lower your energy bills.
I am in Mansfield and just paid $550 to Stream Energy for a 2700 sf house.
Thanks for any information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 PM

32,557 posts, read 51,143,153 times
run a search here
and google on the internet

it is not the sq ft of your house but your attic volume that they price on--and difficulty
it also depends on your orientation and the ventilation in attic and other factors

last winter I had quotes of about .65 a ft for my attic--larger house/2 floors/good attic ventilation
we decided not to do it this summer and just see--we had moved into the house in Dec and wanted to see the bills before deciding if it was worth it

Old 02-18-2010, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,508 times
Yes, although both work much better than an untreated surface, foil type RBS is marginally better than spray-on (foil emissivity close to 0.05, spray-on closer to 0.2). But considering the difficulty of installation for foil types, blockage of cell phone signal, and low durability, as a facilities engineer, spray-on is the way to go. And though attic ventilation is helpful (studies show there are some benefits of 150:1 in hot/humid climates over code-minimum 300:1 SF/vent SF ratio), radiation onto the attic insulation is the predominant mode of vented attic heat transfer in the South! Fact. Attic ventilation does relatively little to overcome this... As does even forced ventilation, which also usually does more harm than good by sucking conditioned air out of the conditioned space through gaps in ceiling, recessed fixtures, etc. Fact. Sadly I've read a lot of mis-information on this subject today, most of which from this website! For real answers if you have the time to read, please visit buildingscience.com. Incredible wealth of sound knowledge there, and most of it is free! Even as a building professional, it has helped me immensely. Please feel free to contact me if I can help further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth