U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 AM

39 posts, read 81,339 times

Advertisements

I've had a difficult time finding a job teaching in the public schools here--where I now live, which isn't in Texas. When I move back to Ft. Worth, I really want a job riding horses, but had thought I might just have to settle for a teaching job until I can find something more horse related that I'd rather do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 AM

I am very impatient! The schools here seem to expect their teachers to be at school from dawn until dark! I had just wondered if it is that way everywhere.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 PM

185 posts, read 425,079 times
My wife teaches in a Texas public school. She leaves home at 6:40am, and gets home at 3;10pm.
So its not so bad I guess. She has time in the afternoons for her horses, dogs, me, our kids, whatever, not all the time she would like, but you got to pay the bills......or she has to teach the kids math, who else would have that kind of patience.
Sorry you got a rude comment right off the bat, your question was cool with me.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 PM

32,537 posts, read 51,070,183 times
I'm sorry -- but if you have to "just settle" for a teaching job I get the feeling that your students are going to be distractions that keep you from doing what you apparently love more than teaching...

many people who want to teach can't find a job because schools are feeling the pinch from falling taxes and have even laid off teachers in some districts...
you would have to work pretty hard to get a job as a teacher--why go to all that trouble--just work that hard to find a job working with horses

Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Well, I'm kind of torn, in a way. I have the proper credentials to be a teacher. I don't necessarily mind doing because it pays more! More Money=Better Horses. However, if all I would be doing is teaching and nothing else, then that sounds pretty boring. To me teaching is just a job, doesn't mean I am bad at it, but it's a job the same as any other job.

In this area, the Not Fort Worth Area, teaching jobs are VERY hard to get! I had one interview last year, and I failed at it miserably. See, I thought when there was a kid who acted up, you were supposed to send them to the principals office. You're not, did you know that? At least, not in schools here.

Also, teachers here stay at school until about 6:00 at night. School lets out at 3:00, they aren't allowed to clock out until 5:45.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM

37 posts, read 255,566 times
Are you sure your information is accurate...requiring teachers to stay until 5:45 when school ends at 3:00 seems extreme to me.

I will be moving to this area next year and am thinking about pursuing an alternative teacher certification. But, after looking at the salary schedules on Texas DE website, now I'm not so sure. Teacher salaries seem really low in Texas--$27K 0 years experience, $37K 10 years experience. Is this all that teachers make in TX or is this salary supplemented on the district level?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:39 PM

185 posts, read 425,079 times
Almost every district pays different, down here in very south texas, a rookie starts out at around $40,000 plus bonuses. Maybe you were looking at Oklahomas paychecks for teachers.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM

I think around Ft. Worth a teacher does really well. Keep in mind that I live in Mississippi and teachers here don't make much at all. Also, I was teaching at a private school where I was making 1,200 a month! Even 27,000 sounds great to me!

They stay at school A LONG time! You can't leave until they let you go. Just because the bell rings doesn't mean you get to go home! That's what has really soured me on teaching. I get enough of something...after being stuck in a school building all day I want to do something else!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,969,991 times
Contracted time varies from district to district and sometimes from school to school.
My oldest teaches 4th grade and her contracted time is something like 7:45-3:45. My second teaches high school in a different district than her sister and I think her contracted time is 8:20-4:30.

They both stay later when needed and have various meetings that are after school, but it's not a daily thing to be there longer than their contracted time.

Also, both are making just under $50,000 and have earned various stipends/monies for taking on different tasks, such as summer school.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 AM

32,537 posts, read 51,070,183 times
districts do suppliment but there is also a fairly slow progression up the wage chart--maybe 1K difference per yr of exp--and getting a master's makes a small difference

but most teachers that last past 3 yrs tend to stay with their district IF they get into a good one to start with
people with alt cert degrees MUST teach for a year after completing the course work and testing to get validation for their certification--the companies that "train" you for that DO NOT GET YOU JOBS--I don't care what they say in their advertising or face-to-face comments--
NONE of them have contracts with real districts to provide new teachers--you are in competition for openings with other experienced teachers and new grads with education degrees...it is a VERY COMPETITIVE market especially in suburban areas because the starting pay is good---over 45K a year...
some teachers stay at work past their required time--some teachers leave at the second--just depends on the teacher/workload/school--most schools require you to be available for after school tutoring at least once a week and some have you taking sponsorship of clubs/activities which require time after school...
it is grading that will take up your time and calling parents about students--you will do lot of that from home...just depends on the grade level and subject matter and students--but don't think that elementary teachers never have work to grade--they do--and there is prep time needed outside of school hours...
frankly teachers can have a life outside school but the profession is very demanding for a teacher who wants to teach well...

and QHossRider--why would you want to spend your time at a job where you are not happy--anyone who writes I get enough of something...after being stuck in a school building all day I want to do something else! really should consider finding something where you are not "stuck in a school building"...I taught and I know that teaching can be very frustrating--but it was never because I was "stuck in a school building"--
hopefully you can find something related to your love of horses
have you checked any of the programs in this area that work with theraputic riding activities for children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth