Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,067 times

Advertisements

I got myself in a really bad situation. I wanted to see if I can get some advice. I sublet my apartment against advice from friends and family. I had 8 months left on my lease. I rented out to this 19 year old girl and her boyfriend. She told me she had a dog. I didn't even think to ask what kind. She also mentioned she had service dog papers for him. That should have been key right there. I didn't know too much about service dogs or why she would need anything like that. I really didn't think too much about it. This past Saturday she got in trouble for her dog being in the apartment. I asked her about the service dog papers but not that would do much good since she isn't on the lease. She said she had never got them. I asked her what kind of dog she had. She said she has a pit bull. She said the apartments told her I signed "no aggressive breeds addendum" when I first moved in. I don't see it on the lease. I thought about it and gave her 2 options 1. she needs to be added to the lease to get this situation straightened out since I am not falsifying documents (stating the dog is mine) or 2. she has to find temporary home for the dog or move out. She said no finding a temporary home for the dog and no to being added to the lease. I told her the dog cannot be on the premises and she made the choice to move out. But this is where it gets ugly, she stated I never told her that she couldn't have her dog. ( I told her she could not get caught with her dog) also I did not address the dog situation the sublease and only stated the pets were on a case by cases basis and a deposit may be required. Since she had told me she was getting service papers for the dog I didn't really press the issue because I didn't want to butt into her business. I have been told I try too much to get into other people's business. It was something I had been working on. She told me on Monday she had removed the dog. But things were getting pretty ugly. I was trying to get it re-rented for January. Anyways my boyfriend stepped in and offered her $600 if she moves out peacefully and does not bring the dog back to the apartment and is gone before the end of the month, does not damage or destroy the apartment etc. She accepted his offer. Agreed to keep the dog away from the premises and part of that money was to be used to pay the violation with the apartment for the dog $100 fine. Today I called the apartment to make sure there had not been any additional fees tacked onto it. They informed me they saw the dog there yesterday and they were in the process of typing up an eviction and would be putting that on the door today.

My questions are:
Can I still salvage my lease possible eviction not go on my credit and rental history?
Also if the answer above is yes, then how?
Since I am getting evicted (technically her) will I still have to pay the reletting fees for 6 months?
If they get a constable to serve me (her) do they have to serve "me" or does she get the eviction?
What can I do to keep this off my rental history and credit?
There is probably no way to get her to pay the fine plus the added $10 a day for her dog is there?

Yes I know state laws. This girl told me I didn't tell her that I wasn't suppose to sublet. It is funny what people conveniently forget. She also supposedly doesn't remember me telling her not to get caught with her dog either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 04:00 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,316,107 times
I'll preface this by saying I have no experience or expertise in this subject. It sounds like you had nothing in writing with this person and, if that's the case, you're probably screwed. Either way, the apartment management probably has the upper hand and is holding all of the cards. What you call "staying out of other people's business" I would call "keeping your own butt out of a sling."

Old 12-14-2016, 04:06 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
It's your name and credit. The apartment is going to get it's money and you signed the lease, not her. You might be able to pursue damages in small claims court, but good luck with that.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:20 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Your post kind of confuses me. You seem to believe this eviction is her eviction, not yours. Yet you willingly broke the owner's rules by allowing someone not on the lease to move in and you told her to hide the dog instead of getting approval. Yes you did. You told this unauthorized tenant not to let the apartment management become aware. You openly contrived with this person to allow a dog without going through the proper approval/advisement process.

You say you did a stupid thing, but actually you intentionally broke the terms of a contract because you wanted someone to take over the responsibility for your rent.

If it happens, this eviction will be on your record and could haunt you for years. I suggest you find out what it will take to get the apartment to change their mind bout this eviction -- do whatever it takes including paying a fine and moving yourself back into the apartment or paying the lease breaking fees.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 AM

Obviously I know that is my eviction but she will have to move out!! I am not there.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:39 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
OP do everything you can to keep this off your credit report.
By that I mean work with the rental office.

Can you confirm that the rental office is aware you subleased your place?
It's a little confusing.

If the front office wasn't in on your unit being subleased, the girl and the dog have zero responsiblity and this is all on you.

Either way - best of luck.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:06 PM

The subject of my post says sublet without premission. Well she got me evicted (her). Thought I wouldn't hear from that girl again but apparently the apartments changed the locks. She left some clothes in the apartment. (3 day notice to vacant on December 14th) the apartments told me she moved out that weekend. She called my boyfriend on Facebook telling she was calling the cops on me because she thought I had the apartments change the locks. I had nothing to do with it. She left some clothes in there. The apartments said she hasn't been there in over a week. All the sudden she wants her clothes back. The only way that was happening was if I physically go and remove her belongings myself. Oh I called the police station myself to find out if I would in any trouble for not going cooperating with her. I am unwilling to cooperate with her. She should have taken everything when she moved out.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:13 PM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Well, just tell her the apartment management office changed the locks, you don't have a key and she might try getting with them because you don't have access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: