Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 AM

77 posts, read 218,421 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We've just moved to the HEB school district, and I was a little disappointed to read that there were only 3 National Merit semi-finalists from that school system this year. Weren't there 7-8 just a year or two ago? My daughter's in 7th grade there and it seems challenging enough, and really crowded. In fact, at orientation the principal of her junior high said they missed the Exemplary rating by a hair. Don't I read "in desirable HEB school district" in the real estate ads on Sunday in the paper? What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeegirl View Post
Hi all,

We've just moved to the HEB school district, and I was a little disappointed to read that there were only 3 National Merit semi-finalists from that school system this year. Weren't there 7-8 just a year or two ago? My daughter's in 7th grade there and it seems challenging enough, and really crowded. In fact, at orientation the principal of her junior high said they missed the Exemplary rating by a hair. Don't I read "in desirable HEB school district" in the real estate ads on Sunday in the paper? What's going on?
wow, that isn't many but I wouldn't let it bother me. Here in our area there were 6 and we are smaller than HEB for sure.

Nita

Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
I'm not from the Fort Worth area, but I'm familiar enough with the National Merit System to say that it probably doesn't have much to do with the school district. There seem to be fluctuations in the amount of semi-finalists everywhere. It could be a number of factors like new graduation requirements that keep students from focusing on the PSAT, the test for that year being particularly hard, or simply that certain classes don't have the natural test-taking talent other classes have. There is one school where I live (Lubbock) that had 13 semi-finalists two years ago, 2 last year, then 7 this year. There's just no telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth