Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times

Advertisements

I live in graham, tx and it looks like im gonna file divorce. Im a male, age 28 with 2 boys. One of whom is mine biologically, the other is my wifes through a previous relationship with a man who killed himself. Both boys have my last name but i never adopted the one who isnt biologically mine. My wife has said she will never split the 2 boys up. I need an excellent lawyer to get me at least joint custody. Cost isnt a factor.

Thanks
Cody Carter
[email]nochey@hotmail.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 07:59 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,751,989 times
Stephanie Foster is very good.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,835,766 times
Don't waste your money. You won't win.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:07 PM
JS1

Have a consultation with Stephanie Foster anyway ($200). I didn't use her in court but I did pay for a consultation, and she is not the type of lawyer to promise you the moon and stars.

She told me "do not hire me for such-and-such, you don't need me" and gave me a copy of the Texas statutes for the issue I had, and I was done.

She is one of the few, very few, ethical and knowledgeable lawyers out there.

$200 to get competent legal advice is worth every penny.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 9,407 times
Also recommend Paula Gaus in Las Colinas. Very thorough, fair and not overpriced. Plus she can be tough when she needs to be.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,552,891 times
frankly unless you are related to judge in family court status in your area--you will find it very difficult to get even visitation rights to the boy who is not your bio/legal son--if your wife chooses to contest/be difficult ...
If she is going to fight divorce you will have difficult time getting 50/50 visitation even...
if cost is not an object then she will fight even harder for full custody because that means you will pay more...
there is no alimony in TX just even split of common property (acquired after marriage) and child support...

Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
JS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly unless you are related to judge in family court status in your area--you will find it very difficult to get even visitation rights to the boy who is not your bio/legal son--if your wife chooses to contest/be difficult ...
If she is going to fight divorce you will have difficult time getting 50/50 visitation even...
if cost is not an object then she will fight even harder for full custody because that means you will pay more...
there is no alimony in TX just even split of common property (acquired after marriage) and child support...
That's ridiculous, he will not have a problem getting visitation with his biological child. I think he stands a good chance of getting visitation with both boys because it would be in the best interest of the children to not be divided during visitation. The best interest of the children is state law, not just my opinion.

Joint custody is the objective of the state of Texas (again, state law), though admittedly that is tougher with one child not being biological, but it's not hopeless like you say it is.

The wife should not be concerned about splitting up the two boys because the court won't do that. Joint custody means the parents take turns with all the children. The movie "The Parent Trap" where the children are split up is not realistic today.

The downside is that the husband may have to pay child support based on two children rather than one, depending on how long he was the de facto father to the non-biological father.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,651,752 times
Talk to Scott Lathan...damn good family attorney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
View detailed profiles of: