Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 PM

49 posts, read 250,857 times

Advertisements

We are coming out this week for our official house hunting trip We will be staying in west FW and I was wondering what places we should hit to eat. DH's company will be paying as long as it is somewhat reasonable, so we can splurge on something more than just fast food. I was thinking of Indian one night. Any good Indian places? And while we love mexican, we eat it alot and I think I would rather find other types of food to eat for this trip anyway. Suggestions anyone? We will be looking at houses anywhere from Joshua to Weatherford so anywhere in the SW area of FW will be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 PM

11,816 posts, read 26,650,028 times
Indian food (in my experience) is more common in Dallas than in Fort Worth. One of the BEST in Dallas is India Palace at 635 and Preston. Back in my telecom days, my Indian coworkers took me there many times for their birthday lunches! I honestly have yet to even see an Indian place in Fort Worth, and I work there now...

Fort Worth is really all about steaks, BBQ and Mexican. Yes, there are other types of food, but these are the real notables.

There are many good places along University, Camp Bowie and Bryant-Irvin streets. LOTS to choose from there! On Bryant-Irvin, Charleston's is really good for dinner. So is McKinley's deli on University for lunch.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:56 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,402,944 times
Congratulations! Riscky's BBQ at The Stockyards is fun and touristy; a must (and I know you said you eat it a lot..but you have to find a good one here) is Joe T. Garcia's on Main Street. You have to eat on the patio. It gets REALLY busy so come early.

Shady Oaks BBQ is yummy and fun as well but it is more North Fort Worth off of 35W north of 820 on your right hand side.

You will find all of the typical franchise restaurants as well - Chili's, Joe's Crab Shack, Applebee's, Olive Garden etc.

Congratulations again and I hope you have a great time!!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 AM

49 posts, read 250,857 times
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Interesting that there are no Indian places in such a big city. Alright- it sounds like we will have to do BBQ one night, yum! And I have heard alot of people rave about Joe T. Garcias- I am curious!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,474,655 times
My top recommend if you want something that defines FTW/TX experience would be Reatta restaurant in the old Caravan of Dreams location downtown FTW on Houston St--TX decor, wonderful service, consistent quality----has roof top bar w/glass ceiling---very Texas menu but cosmopolitan in presentations---almost any choice is sure to be pleasure to view and taste......love the jalapeno soup---usually have some game choices as well as good steak--pretty good chicken fried steak that is as large as the plate it is served on...
tamales appitizers are unique---chocolate dessert is too die for...
--they have vegetarian offerings for those who abstain from meat...views from this location are not the wonderful ones of the old one destroyed by tornado several years ago but they made the inside of the restaurant so pleasant the views take a backseat to food...whe you make reservation tell them it is your first time into FTW and Reatta--they will try to find you a good table from our experience dealing with them--had our daughter's engagement/birthday party in one of their private rooms--they were just really nice to work with...

Angelo's is the go-to BBQ in FTW---lots of tradition and good meat...not a clone---there is only one angelo's--

Personally, I find the food at Joe T. Garcia's pretty mediocre...the patios are nice and the margaritas vary in strength and quality...noisy usually..
interesting to note that Joe T's which used to rank in top 3 for alcohol sales in Tarrant co each year has slipped in ratings--Uncle Julio's off 30 is now top seller in FTW...so maybe people's tastes are shifting....

Might try the new burger place that Tim Love w/Lonesome Dove has started in Stockyards...

Cafe Ashton is little bit cosmo and upscale

There is Indian restaurant called Maharaja off Hulen Bend which is off the sw side of the 820 loop and close to west side of town....but i found that doing google search--don't know anything about it....

Since you will be doing house hunting west of town--you might like to know that there is BBQ place in Weatherford called Mesquite Pit that is on HWY 180 going into Weatherford--not I-20....might be good for lunch...or the Brazos River Catfish Cafe--This Old House off Main St is tea room w/quiche, salads, and sandwiches...Found these by Googling as well...
If your realtor is based out of FTW, he or she may not know anything about places to eat in Weatherford or Aledo...either...chains may be predictable but that can be a safety factor as well....

Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,873,172 times
There is an Indian restaurant that I've eaten at a least a few times located near off Rt. 30/Hulen St. in FW. It's called Bombay Palace or Bombay Grill (I'm blanking out at the moment which name it is). From west FW, go east on Rt. 30, then take the Hulen St. exit (#10) and make a right (southbound). Go past the 1st traffic light, then make a right on the next one - I think it's called Donnelly Ave. You'll see a Chick Fil-A at that 2nd TL. Once you go up that small hill, make a quick left into the little shopping plaza and you'll arrive at that Indian restaurant.

I haven't been to Maharaja; I tried going there once but couldn't find it.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 22,574 times
Angelo's BBQ on White Settlement is classic.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM

58 posts, read 241,022 times
There are plenty of Indian places. If you see this in time, you should check out the Bombay restaurant mentioned above, or, closer to where you are searching for a home, try Maharaja on South Hulen. It is in the Hulen Point Shopping Center; here's the website: http://tinyurl.com/23wuz7 (broken link) (or just Google for maharaja indian restaurant in fort worth).

Sorry about your realtor flaking & good luck in FW!

Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,790,505 times
Massey's restaurant at 1805 8th Street has the best chicken fried steak you'll ever find. Just type in "Chicken fried steak, fort worth" and Massey's will pop up. It will melt in your mouth!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,693,028 times
For breakfast go to Ol' South Pancake House and get some german pancakes... yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth