U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM

95 posts, read 255,259 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in DC-area Maryland. The county that we live in along with the state itself are both extremely liberal politically.

- We have lots of red-light and speed cameras
- We have groups that actively assist illegal immigrants in obtaining jobs/residences/etc
- We are highly taxed
- Our schooling is heavily moderated by the government
- Alcohol and tobacco are heavily regulated
- We have an extremely high cost of living

These and a long list of others are all things we are looking to be rid of. We are contemplating a move to Texas as a number of ratings show that it is a much 'freer' state.

Many people have said that Austin is a great city and in fact I've heard very little to nothing bad said about it.

I've also heard that the Fort Worth area is very 'Texas-y' with nice suburban areas.

We are looking to move to a suburban area (i.e. Round Rock, Georgetown, Keller, Corinth, etc), not in either city proper.

Any information would be of great help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM

Hmm, I came back this morning and saw many views, but no replies. So I re-read my post and noticed that I didn't really ask any questions in it.

My questions about Ft. Worth are these:

1. I live in a wildly liberal area. Is it your opinion that Ft. Worth is nothing like this?

2. Do you feel there is a lot of county/state government regulation in your life?

3. Does anyone have any comparisons of the Ft. Worth area to Dallas or Austin or Houston?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:49 AM

989 posts, read 2,325,510 times
I cannot blame you for wanting to leave Maryland for Texas. Texas is far freer in every way than any of those blue nanny states.

Fort Worth is a great laid-back city with a western vibe, especially in the stockyards area. I can definitely recommend it.

Dallas is more liberal and cosmopolitan than Fort Worth, and Houston has that big blue collar industry vibe. Austin is a smaller town built around the education and tech industries, with great nightlife and music. Austin is probably still the most liberal city in Texas because of so many college kids but Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and El Paso are not far behind. Actually if I remember correctly El Paso voted stronger for Obama in the last election, if you want to use party-line voting as an indicator of liberalness. Fort Worth is the last major Texas city to go red in federal elections.

At any rate, Texas is becoming more socially liberal in the cities because of all the transplants but I still have yet to see it become evident in fiscal policy within the state in general. I think even liberals come here and realize that the state is a success story because of conservative economic principles.

Last edited by ATXIronHorse; 10-07-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 10:19 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,975,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL70 View Post
We are currently living in DC-area Maryland. The county that we live in along with the state itself are both extremely liberal politically.

- We have lots of red-light and speed cameras
- We have groups that actively assist illegal immigrants in obtaining jobs/residences/etc
- We are highly taxed
- Our schooling is heavily moderated by the government
- Alcohol and tobacco are heavily regulated
- We have an extremely high cost of living

These and a long list of others are all things we are looking to be rid of. We are contemplating a move to Texas as a number of ratings show that it is a much 'freer' state.

Many people have said that Austin is a great city and in fact I've heard very little to nothing bad said about it.

I've also heard that the Fort Worth area is very 'Texas-y' with nice suburban areas.

We are looking to move to a suburban area (i.e. Round Rock, Georgetown, Keller, Corinth, etc), not in either city proper.

Any information would be of great help.
Austin is very nice and gaining in popularity especially with the young professionals. It is also the most liberal city in Texas. Ft Worth and the surrounding areas are much more conservative. Keller and Corinth are nice, so are places like Argyl and Double Oak as well as Southlake. I know you don't want a lot of burby homes, you said that on your other thread.

Even though some of the cities are becoming more liberal, compared to DC and Maryland (I have lived in DC area) Texas is very much to the right. Certainly areas near Ft Worth, yes, Corinth, Flower Mound, etc. are concervative and very much family oriented.

Nita

Old 10-07-2009, 10:49 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,058,408 times
I used to live in Northern California, so we came from a similar background. I love Fort Worth because it is more conservative, but really people have a libertarian feel here to me. The big change for me was the question "you go to church?" to "Where do you go to church". We don't, but we aren't treated like heathens or anything.

There are a LOT of beautiful suburbs here and really besides the others there are North Richland Hills, Hurst, Euless or you can be out more in the country like I am. We came from a development with five foot lot lines in California so when we had the chance to be on an acre, we jumped on it. We love it out here. Its a great place to raise a family.

You will find that your money goes a LOT farther here than where you are from and that people tend to have more expendible income so they go out a lot to eat and do more activities. Where for us in California, there were limitations on funds.

Austin is the more liberal area of Texas, so you are likely to find more of what you are used to in terms of politics there. I would recommend going to the local chamber (I had gone to the Dallas Chamber) and either download or request a visitor's guide. It goes over the suburbs, education, job outlooks, etc. It was a great planning tool for us.

Good luck in your search!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Thanks for all the responses so far. The city chamber info is a great idea.

Just to be clear, we don't particularly care for poilitics at all. I worked on Capitol Hill for a few years and I know I can't stand that environment.

We're not really trying to find a group of conservatives to join as much as trying to find a place where we feel the government isn't meddling in our daily lives.

Texas seems to fit this description.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,550 times
As a New Mexico transplant to the Fort Worth area,

I would say you would love it here!! I think Texas is one of the most "free" states in the union. We don't have state income tax, we are tough on crime, and we protect individual liberties : ) I say come down and check Texas out up close. For the cost of a trip, you could save yourself a lot of heartache and cost by making sure Texas is for you. Just plan on staying once you get here, it is that great!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM

32,675 posts, read 51,342,736 times
someone could say that everything on your list is found in TX--
so you might not notice any changes in some ways

to ignore what is going on in TX and hype the "freedom" is to ignore complaints that people make on these forums all the time

it is a good state--but frankly when its govenor uses his power to remove board members who were going to review a forensic decision that lead to a man's ordered execution--one where the govenor received contradicting information but chose not to halt the execution--
I don't know that Texas has a lot to brag about...

Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 41,348 times
FL70 Check out Roanoke North of Ft Worth. Just moved from there to Alexandria, VA. Oak Street is going thru a major renovtion. Moderator cut: no advertising allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-17-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth