U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,748,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----You still have to go there--

why ?

Texas should run their system like many other states..
You new to Texas?
Texas doesn't run like any other state and they are damned proud of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,514,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
actually it is the LAW which dictates what evidence is allowed to be presented at trial--and that evidence and the preponderance of doubt and the viability of witnesses are what a jury is supposed to base its decision on--those and the parameters of the law involved--
not what someone on the jury believes is "moral"---which might be more or less harsh than what the law supports...
a jury is not supposed to allow personal belief systems to override the evidence and law of the case to arrive at a verdict
12 Angry Men is a perfect case in point
Jurors have the prerogative to judge the law if they choose. This was used widely during Prohibition, when many people believed the laws banning alcohol were unjust, and thus, as jurors, refused to prosecute people of violating alcohol laws.

That power still exists with jurors today, though judges don't like to tell people about it.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,287,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----You still have to go there--

why ?

Texas should run their system like many other states.

Where I live you get a jury notice well in advance and are told you have to mail an appeal if you believe you can't serve.

You then are assigned a number and given dates that you must call in to see if you have to report. A recorded message reads off the numbers ID of the people who actually have to come in amd show up.

Many people where I live ( myself included) have recieved jury notice and never had to go to the courthouse.
Boy, that would be great but not in Texas.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 14,452,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
You new to Texas?
Texas doesn't run like any other state and they are damned proud of it.

Great !

Then be ---damned proud--of driving in, sitting on your asses all day and getting sent home for nothing .

Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 AM

44,256 posts, read 57,281,260 times
How do you get out of Jury Duty?

Tell them you're afraid the trial will interfere/conflict with your KKK meetings.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,124,516 times
In TX, you can get one extension if you can't make it on the day they give you for a good reason, nut there's no point in putting it off. Just git 'er done!

eyewrist: "Man's law"? You must know we can hardly have courts based on a particular religion's tenets. That would open a colossal can of worms.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,287,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
In TX, you can get one extension if you can't make it on the day they give you for a good reason, nut there's no point in putting it off. Just git 'er done!

eyewrist: "Man's law"? You must know we can hardly have courts based on a particular religion's tenets. That would open a colossal can of worms.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM

427 posts, read 903,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Most people just sit around in jury duty waiting to be called all day and if you are unlucky you get called for the voi dire process. THERE is where you can "lie" and get out of a trial....
I wouldn't need to lie to get out of it. When questioned by the lawyer, I'd just say that if I'm selected, I will find the defendant guilty. I figure one of the lawyers will dismiss me.

I've never been called for jury duty, so have no real advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth