U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 AM

1,550 posts, read 3,274,720 times

Advertisements

How do you get out of jury duty? When I lived here before in Tarrant County, they would notify me every YEAR of jury duty...do they not keep records of this? But let me not show up and there will be a warrant for my arrest...they can record that though! Now that I moved back to Texas, which it hasn't been six months and here they go again! Are there not enough other people living in Tarrant county now that they can contact instead of me can they try to spread the love around? What can I do to stop the madness?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 9,271,251 times
I think the laws says that citizens have the OBLIGATION to perform jury duty as much as once a year. So in theory, you can keep getting it every year.

I wonder if they disqualify people with criminal records, no matter how minor the infraction?

I also think they use information from the voter registration so that might narrow down the potential pool of jurors, since many people do not vote. But I am not sure if that has changed and now they go by the Driver's License?

From my experience you cannot get out of jury duty, it just gets reassigned to you at a slightly later date. Don't fight it, just take a computer and work from the laptop that day or a good book and suck it up...I know it is unfair though, some people NEVER get it.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 AM

3,087 posts, read 6,977,850 times
There are two routes that enable one to not have to report for jury duty....exemption or disqualification.
This link explains what the exemptions are: (they have recently raised the age of children you have custody of)
Jury Services: Exemptions

And this link explains the disqualifications:
Jury Services: Disqualifications

Otherwise if you just show up the likely hood of actually serving on a jury isn't all that high. Oftentimes cases are settled before a trial begins so if you are in the pool for one of those you get credit for serving, but get to go home. Or you may not appeal to the lawyers picking the jury and get cut quickly. Or even may get picked and the trial only lasts one day.

It's not that bad in general. Been there done that.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,274,720 times
Well L-U-C-K-Y for me: none of it applies...I was hoping for a small hidden loop hole Let me take my sudoku and a good book with me. Thxs for your help folks

PS
BTW I didn't get a new DL or voter registeration but did register my car...that must be the only way they GOT me

Old 10-11-2009, 12:33 AM

11,798 posts, read 23,053,520 times
They got me for six days once, but the trial was interesting. Except for having to get up early (I'm a night owl), I don't mind it that much.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:22 AM

204 posts, read 889,445 times
Tell them you're racist.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 AM

2,953 posts, read 9,271,251 times
I think the poster meant actually having to go in for the day of Voi Dire. That is what I was referring to as it is basically unavoidable. Most people just sit around in jury duty waiting to be called all day and if you are unlucky you get called for the voi dire process. THERE is where you can "lie" and get out of a trial....but actually going in and waiting to be called it the most common "jury duty" but actully serving on a jury is much different and less likely.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:43 AM

32,585 posts, read 51,161,531 times
just be prepared for parking shock
if you know someone who works downtown try to just get a lift
my friend who got her summons last spring rode in with my husband who works in Sundance area and then I picked her up when she was dismissed...

Old 10-11-2009, 01:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,053,520 times
There are 10-hour parking meters in the western part of downtown just east of Henderson St. The rates recently went up, but they are still a good solution. Just get there early.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 PM

4,100 posts, read 7,649,095 times
You could always renounce your citizenship to keep from performing your duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth