Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
we are building in a ranch style development (or hoping to) that has wonderful vistas and is bordered by a rancher that has cows. So...we will be hearing moooooing There is still quite a lot of very nice land out north in Haslet.

you might not only be hearing cows, you might be smelling them too---guess you made sure the cows were moving around enough so that would not be a problem

we went to look at very nice development in Mansfield this past weekend--called Hilltop Ranch==several of the acre size lots back right up to feed-lot operation. The ones that don't--a street or so over--can still catch pretty strong aromas from there when the wind is blowing from that direction--which will probably be the prevailing winds...

we did not want to be sitting outside and have the wind change in the middle of a BBQ and have to go inside to avoid the smelll

I grew up downwind of a pig farm...drive distance was like 5+ miles -- but sometimes the winds would make you think it was right next door almost...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,426,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
you might not only be hearing cows, you might be smelling them too---guess you made sure the cows were moving around enough so that would not be a problem

we went to look at very nice development in Mansfield this past weekend--called Hilltop Ranch==several of the acre size lots back right up to feed-lot operation. The ones that don't--a street or so over--can still catch pretty strong aromas from there when the wind is blowing from that direction--which will probably be the prevailing winds...

we did not want to be sitting outside and have the wind change in the middle of a BBQ and have to go inside to avoid the smelll

I grew up downwind of a pig farm...drive distance was like 5+ miles -- but sometimes the winds would make you think it was right next door almost...

Yes, well with the style of homes there, I am sure that is not a problem

Old 05-09-2007, 12:13 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
Quote:
Yes, well with the style of homes there, I am sure that is not a problem
You, I am sure are smart enough to make sure that is not a problem!

MBG

Old 05-09-2007, 12:49 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,921,648 times
Thread starter, which direction of FW do you want to be? Being in a small town northeast of FW or southeast of FW is a difference of 40-45 min. driving time. In other words, FW is huge, very spread out, and you should have an idea in what part of the city (neighboring town) you want to be located in. Where will your job be?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Quote:
Boy there are little towns everywhere all have a good feel. I hear that Granbury is just beautiful. We are in Saginaw which has a small town feel, but more blue collar, very friendly people, very relaxed feeling, does have a big railroad presense.
Aren't you sweet. Yes, Granbury is beautiful. Come down if you can sometime. There is lots of stuff to do here for visitors.
I never heard of Saginaw but that doesn't mean much because my husband and I are pretty new to Texas.

Old 05-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Osi

Location: Kansas... for now. But Texas is home, and I'm ready to come home.
7 posts, read 28,500 times
Weatherford is a nice town and a good location. Be aware that their property taxes are higher than some other out-lying communities. I have lots of family in Weatherford, and this is something I have heard a lot about.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I agree concerning Weatherford. You might consider Aledo; it's closer in to the southwest of Ft Worth. It's in a very scenic area.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:30 PM

184 posts, read 863,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Weatherford...

I would not want to live up by Alliance airport and the speedway just north (I think) of Fort Worth. I hear the traffic is horrible since they built the speedway...

I like Weatherford though, accessible to Fort Worth but far enough out that you feel like your in the country...I like to see cows as I drive home not concrete.

Just like everywhere in the metroplex traffic is horrible during certain times of day. We live in the Heritage master planned community on Heritage Trace Parkway off 35 W up near the Alliance airport and it's not any worse than anywhere else I've been around Fort Worth/Dallas. We love it here and I highly recommend this area. And I too see cows everyday not far from my house It's definately Texas

Old 06-01-2007, 03:46 PM

103 posts, read 676,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debntx View Post
Just like everywhere in the metroplex traffic is horrible during certain times of day. We live in the Heritage master planned community on Heritage Trace Parkway off 35 W up near the Alliance airport and it's not any worse than anywhere else I've been around Fort Worth/Dallas. We love it here and I highly recommend this area. And I too see cows everyday not far from my house It's definately Texas

I moved to Texas in 1996 from Cleveland, Ohio. My first night here, I went grocery shopping at the Tom Thumb on the corner of Hightower and Rufe Snow. I arrived when it was dark out, since it was wintertime. As I was pulling out of the Tom Thumb parking light after shopping...my headlights beamed on a pasture of A LOT of black cows right in front of me. I got the BIGGEST kick out of that because in Cleveland you would never see cows across the street from the grocery store! LOL!

I am now used to the cows, horses, and longhorns down the street from us...and, I am even used to the llamas down the street from us too (North Tarrant Parkway and Old Denton Road)... Texas is fun!

Old 06-02-2007, 10:50 PM

63 posts, read 258,733 times
Say, prnczjunib I lived about a half mile outside of a little town south of Fort Worth, Keene, Texas. Its about a 35 minute drive from near downtown FW. I worked at All Saints Hospital on 8th Ave for 7 years then at Huguley for about 3 years. From Huguley its about a 22 min drive. This is a very small college town and I loved living near there. Of course, you would have to do almost all shopping else. But there are so many other towns nearby that are great as well, Cleburne, Alvarado, Joshua, Burleson, Grandview, Grandbury, Glenrose, Godly... Now these are all south of FW. I'm sure the others mentioned are nice as well but I'm very familiar with the first six that I mentioned. Weatherford I believe is probably OK too. Then there are all the small towns which sit between Dallas and FW. I really did love living up there and miss it a great deal. maybe someday I'll be able to return. untill then stuck in SA. It really would make a difference in where you planned to work. Good luck with your hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth