Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,371 times

Advertisements

I'm Insured with USAA for over 26 yrs, I had a hail damage, on roof and west win of my house. Called to claim and
Insurance paid 4,953.00 of a cost of replacement according to "Their" roofers. Got diferent Companies to estimate and
from 8,000.00 to 13,000.00 for replacement cost. minus the deductible. They will not paid the diference nor the damages found after the roof is removed. The side of the house claim has been rejected... (and they argued before even looked to estimate) if the siding is damaged for natural causes will not paid.......????I directed my call to chain of comand and fight, told them that as we continue to argue for prices my house is getting worse since the damages continue to deteriorate as they are expouse to the elements and I see rotten wood and shingles detached.... what do I do???? I have picked up a Co to do my roof, but it will cost me $2,000.00 more plus my deductible to have the same qulity roof as I had before the storm.
I'll will appreciste your advice.
Martha from San Anotnio TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:59 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with USAA.

We contacted them, had pictures of the day of the storm, they sent an adjuster to inventory the damage and paid the difference between original insurance payment and proposal/final invoice minus deductible.

I do not understand what rotten wood has to do with hail damage.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:46 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,282 times
Get a public adjuster.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
If the entire neighborhood is getting new roofs, there is a good chance you need a new one as well (unless your roof is a year or two old). All roofers are going to tell you that you need a roof regardless of the damage. This is why the adjuster tells you he doesn't need the roofer present. Often times, the roofer is simply a salesman and does not know what constitutes damage to a roof. If your adjuster does not find any damage, what they will do, at your request, is send another adjuster out and look at the roof WITH your chosen contractor. They will look at the roof together and make an assessment.

You did the right think by having a local, well-established company come out and look at your roof. Beware of the fly-by-night contractors who swoop in from out of state and put the screw to people.
I would take what an adjuster tells you and use the same level of questioning if you will as you do a contractor. The comment that every roofer is going to tell you that you need a new roof is laughable. That would be the same as me telling you that every adjusters is going to *********. In my state an adjuster doesn't even have to be licensed, but I do as a general contractor. Also just because a company is from out of state doesn't make them a scam but I digress. I can give you a couple of examples of how in this example state farm cuts corners. The will come out and say that you roof is totaled and let's say you have a single layer of shingles and also let's say you have a 7:12 pitch. You will notice that they don't include drip edge, starter shingles, ridge cap, and use 15 lb felt paper. Ok here are the reasons given by s.f. drip edge wasn't damaged so they will not pay to replace. Well the felt paper wasn't either but you are replacing that. When you are tearing off a roof drip edge will get dinged no way around it. It is just part of a roof system should be in the summary. Next, starter shingles and ridge cap are included in the pricing for shingles to be replaced. Wrong it is a separate line item in xactomate software that the insurance industry uses for pricing. Last 80% of the time no matter what slope is on a roof adjusters by default list 15 lb felt. On 7:12 and greater pitches 30 lb or better should be used. Just subtle ways insurance companies cut claims. There are many more examples that I have seen but no need to go into all the details now. Point I am making is to be as skeptical of an adjuster as you are of contractors. As others have said an adjusters job is to minimize the insurance companies costs. Think of it this way. When you go to buy a car at a dealer the first pencil is sticker. If you accept it the dealer maximized his profit. An adjusters first pencil is invoice. If you accept it he minimized cost. As a homeowner you want as close to sticker as possible.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Rotten wood doesn't happen from hail damage--
that sounds like termites or water damage over time--which might have come from improper installation of that siding or lack of maintenance...
can't tell since haven't seen the house-- but your insurance isn't going to cover something that is not directly related to damage from hail storm...

and depending on your policy's language--the older your roof the less you are likely entitled to recoup from the insurance company...

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 2,443 times
Well State Farm says my roof has hail dings but the leaks in my 30 yr old home that we have lived in for 12 + yrs is my cheap builder building house and the roofers did flashing n roof wrong so No. And adjuster ...well we have only had them for an ins. Co. For 5 years. "What? What Bull this is ?" My contractor walked n left me high and dry. How do I even have a chance to go up against an Insurance company that blames all the problems on everyone and its my problem. Adjuster said I was going to be in a world of hurt when I find out that they arent to fix it.??? What do I do to stand a chance of fixing my roof with such a company like State farm?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 PM

I need a smart and knowledgable roofing company that wont run from State Farm. Fort worth area.2 neighbors on my street got new roofs. The adjuster scared away my roofing co. And had me in tears. He also denied a new roof from walking to my front door. After saying not our problem 10 times...then the adjuster went threw the house in attic n on roof and made up great stories for some of the leaks???

Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 PM

I was told by roofing co. That in a few months State Farm will drop us. I will let everyone know if that treat their clients worse then I/we have already been awful.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:47 PM

Well State Farm says my roof has hail dings but the leaks in my 30 yr old home that we have lived in for 12 + yrs is my cheap builder building house and the roofers did flashing n roof wrong so No. And adjuster ...well we have only had them for an ins. Co. For 5 years. "What? What Bull this is ?" My contractor walked n left me high and dry. How do I even have a chance to go up against an Insurance company that blames all the problems on everyone and its my problem. Adjuster said I was going to be in a world of hurt when I find out that they arent to fix it.??? What do I do to stand a chance of fixing my roof with such a company like State farm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth