U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM

394 posts, read 1,145,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunebloc View Post
It's unfortunately popular and even vogue with people of my ilk to deride the burbs and view those that choose to live there with disdain. I don't share this thinking and think it's a real shame to see smart people say these things.
Thoughtful post.

I know that it's a cliche, but I felt the same as you until we had kids. In the not so distant past, I felt that I was part of a wave of young urban achievers who strove to gentrify and "bring up" a NJ "transit hub" about 20 miles from NYC, a place that was seen as "the next big thing."

Near the end of my experiment in gentrification I started to understand (and truly believe) that social changes like those that then affect the population (and ultimately, the local school systems) in a postive manner take much longer than a few years, longer - likely - than a couple of decades.

In that time we could have simply moved to a town that was already "there," with the schools and such, take advantage of the situation and then decide again if it is a place where we'd like to live once our kids were out of the house. With the birth of our second child we put that plan into motion (leaving NJ/NY altogether for Texas) and haven't bothered to look back.

Good luck in your search for the perfect place. Remember the cartoon "Yogi's Ark?" "We're going to the perfect place... the perfect plaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Let us know when you find it. My recommendations remain Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Colleyville or Grapevine - steadfastly so.

-Old Man Simpson
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,758,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Thoughtful post.

I know that it's a cliche, but I felt the same as you until we had kids. In the not so distant past, I felt that I was part of a wave of young urban achievers who strove to gentrify and "bring up" a NJ "transit hub" about 20 miles from NYC, a place that was seen as "the next big thing."

Near the end of my experiment in gentrification I started to understand (and truly believe) that social changes like those that then affect the population (and ultimately, the local school systems) in a postive manner take much longer than a few years, longer - likely - than a couple of decades.

In that time we could have simply moved to a town that was already "there," with the schools and such, take advantage of the situation and then decide again if it is a place where we'd like to live once our kids were out of the house. With the birth of our second child we put that plan into motion (leaving NJ/NY altogether for Texas) and haven't bothered to look back.

Good luck in your search for the perfect place. Remember the cartoon "Yogi's Ark?" "We're going to the perfect place... the perfect plaaaaaaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Let us know when you find it. My recommendations remain Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Colleyville or Grapevine - steadfastly so.

-Old Man Simpson

Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM

32,565 posts, read 51,151,280 times
Eric went against the curve when he bought in Bedford---
he probably had lot of people suggesting Keller or Colleyville or Grapevine--
nothing wrong with any of those choices
but he found the best match for his family in his eyes

that is what you have to do--weigh the tangibles and intangibles and make your best choice
what other people think does not really enter into the equation if they are giving you opinion vs facts

Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 6,584 times
Quote:
I do still think that my husband and I can find the things were looking for in the burbs.

Best of luck. If you find a urban, progressive outpost in the areas you've mentioned, be sure to let us all know.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:44 PM

427 posts, read 899,600 times
Quote:
Then the KISD fiasco blew up, and we decided we didn't want to be part of a community so dead set against its ISD.
Just because people don't approve a tax rate increase does not mean they are "dead set" against their ISD.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 PM

119 posts, read 197,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatChicagoan View Post
Just because people don't approve a tax rate increase does not mean they are "dead set" against their ISD.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so dismissive. It just seemed to me that the ISD side of the debate were people asking for help and community side of the debate was full of people indignant that the ISD could possibly want something from them. I understand that there are folks out there not like that, but they didn't seem to have a voice in the conversation. It seemed dominated by people saying the ISD just had to go without. And then so many of the same folks seemed shocked when they discovered that going without was actually going to impact their children.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:27 AM

32,565 posts, read 51,151,280 times
If you find a urban, progressive outpost in the areas you've mentioned, be sure to let us all know.
That rules out my current neighborhood--

we had HOA election in June that was a fiasco==supposed to have one in July to resolve the secretive issues of the June one---Board called that off and basically voted themselves into office with the "results" of the June election...people were not having it...Board agreed to have one in August---
11 people on the ballot--7 Board places--4 people lost--
BUT the power(s) that be refused to give the total votes cast or the individual vote totals for any candidate--just named those who won...
would anyone view that as a legitimate election announcement?
Would you have accepted it in high school when people ran for Class Favorites or Home Coming Queen and the court?
Or in any public election for anything--
NO--of course you would not...
so while the new Board has only 1 person from the old Board on it, there is still a problem with its legitimacy...
at least to me...
AND one of the people running and winning a seat was a former Mayor of Hurst--think he would have allowed just the naming of the winner in any election he ran in in the past vs knowing the total vote count and numbers for each candidate???

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 4,397 times
Default Relocating

Any luck on finding a good neighborhood? We currently live in Charlotte and might be relocating to Fort Worth for a job. The Fairmount area is similar to our neighborhood here in Charlotte. There are Bungalows and craftsman style houses in a walk able neighborhood close to downtown. The major difference is crime, in Charlotte we do have some crime in the neighborhood but not a lot. I leave a bike and a stroller in our carport and don't have to worry about it. We can walk day or night and not be scared. It sounds like from other post I have read that isn't the case for Fairmount.
I am married and have a 3 month old daughter and we are looking for a friendly neighborhood that gets outdoors and have neighborhood events. We both like to run, I like to mountain bike, getting into kayaking, and we both like to be social as much as we can with our daughter. If possible we would like to be in an area where we can walk to restaurants and neighborhood bars, and close to a grocery store. I will be working in Hurst, TX and my wife will probably look for a job in downtown Fort Worth.
We aren't that concerned about the school system we have 5 years to think about that.
Any help will be nice. We are looking to find a single family home for under 300,000.

Last edited by kckt; 06-27-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM

161 posts, read 179,528 times
On the bright side, if you're a liberal in North Texas, you are definitely not wasting your vote.

(I vote every election through an ingrained sense of civic duty, not any illusion that one more Dem vote makes any difference at all in Manhattan. LOL.)

When I get to Texas -- having gotten over the sizeable hurdle of selling my home here, *finally*; but now faced with surgery to remove a tumor in a gland in my neck -- yuck; will be glad to get past the obstacles and on with the move -- I plan to talk about the weather instead of politics. Or maybe about my new guns. (Seriously. They are awaiting me, and I them.)

Unless actively plotting in a small room with my blue-tinted co-conspirators. And, I must say this is my first experience of actually hoping I will be regarded as a deluded but harmless, because so isolated, crank. <--- note sly, blue-tinted expression

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM

234 posts, read 211,398 times
lunebloc, you want what everyone and his dog wants. Supply and demand dictates, therefore, that what you want comes at a pretty high price. If you do not have the money, then you have to compromise. Move much further out and away from the arts district, away from close proximity to downtown, away from the universities, away from the zoo, and away from a nice little neighbourhood with mature trees and gardens, or stick it out where you are. If it were me, I would stay were I was. If you do decide to move, please let me know as I am looking for a small but nice little place for myself. You probably have too much junk. You could help your situation by selling/donating a ton of it. Americans are too materialistic. People in other countries do not accumulate as much as we do, and they are often much happier than Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth