U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 PM

137 posts, read 344,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBonnetBound View Post
As far as deciding FtW over Dallas, it wasn't too hard for us. We don't like the BIG CITY, I'm more of a country girl and I like my space for sure. Then my sister went to UNT and eventually moved to Roanoke by the Texas Motor Speedway. When I went down for 10 days for her wedding, we were all over Fort Worth and just loved it. Really felt at home in that area. So my ideal would be to live north or west of Fort Worth so my hubby can work in the metro area if necessary but we'd be out of the hubbub.

I'm a copywriter, which means I write business/sales materials for corporations (but right now mostly small businesses.) Brochures, web sites, press releases and the like. I'm building up my portfolio now and will go full-time freelance when we move. That's part of what we're saving up for. My Day Job is as a manager for a coffee shop up here, and since my husband is now a Coffee Roaster, we're pretty deep into the industry you could say.

He wants to stay in specialty beverage, either through coffee, beer, or wine if possible. Seeing as DFW is huge with wine and beer, we should hopefully find something for him. But if not, he can do something in the meantime while getting prepared for his next career move down there. We're flexible! I know we'll need to be when the time comes.

We just can't wait. I have about 130 more shifts at work and then I'm done! LOL. I can do it!

There is never a perfect time for anything. You know the saying, "If you wait for all the lights to turn green before you go somewhere, you'll never leave the house." You gotta take the Bull by the Horns!!
Bluebonnetbound --We have been saving too, and am also hoping it doesn't all have to go into surviving so that it can remain a savings or towards down on house SOON!!! LOL I am surprised that I do not know how many days til I am out of this hellish life. Yer right about waiting for the perfect time-it never comes. Is DFW big on beer and wine cuz there is no hard liquor allowed in so many places?? Can you buy beer and wine most places? I heard that Plano is dry. ??? Know of any other places??? We are not city slickers either. My husband is darn near the only guy in Seattle with a cowboy hat! Everyone is always telling him how nice his hat is. What area of FW have you decided on? I was also considering North Richland Hills or Keller. I AM SO EXCITED...I am leaving 2/24 to meet my sisters in San Antonio. From there we are renting a car-going to Austin and then on to Dallas. They are leaving and I am staying an extra 2 days by myself to check things out Hope I don't spend 2 days LOST! Thank heavens for VZ Navigator. Am going to try to stay away from the tollroads as they SCARE ME!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 11:31 PM

16 posts, read 26,831 times
I'm jealous that you're going to San Antonio, too. I love that city, and for a while we thought about living there, but it's pretty far from the family. Thought about Austin, too, but like the access to the airport/metroplex for when we want the city. Plus, Austin is pretty liberal for us overall, and we get enough of that up here! LOL.

The thing about Texas is that I love a lot of it for lots of different reasons. It really is the state that has it all, haha.

Yes, DFW is big on beer and wine, as there are a large number of wineries there (TX is the 5th most producing state for wine) and lots of breweries there as well. We're crossing our fingers that the hubby can stay in his industry, but we know it may not work that way right off.

The cost of houses down there still floors me every time. 200k up here is nothing special, and is a fixer for sure (at least where I am.) But down there it's a mansion. There's no land to speak of up here unless you want to sell off your first born child, and seeing as we have no children aside from the dogs, that isn't happening for us.

Is there a way you can sit down with a calendar and map out a timeframe to shoot for? Aside from the job scenario, what's in the way?

Old 02-21-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I'm jealous that you're going to San Antonio, too. I love that city, and for a while we thought about living there, but it's pretty far from the family. Thought about Austin, too, but like the access to the airport/metroplex for when we want the city. Plus, Austin is pretty liberal for us overall, and we get enough of that up here! LOL.

The thing about Texas is that I love a lot of it for lots of different reasons. It really is the state that has it all, haha.

Yes, DFW is big on beer and wine, as there are a large number of wineries there (TX is the 5th most producing state for wine) and lots of breweries there as well. We're crossing our fingers that the hubby can stay in his industry, but we know it may not work that way right off.

The cost of houses down there still floors me every time. 200k up here is nothing special, and is a fixer for sure (at least where I am.) But down there it's a mansion. There's no land to speak of up here unless you want to sell off your first born child, and seeing as we have no children aside from the dogs, that isn't happening for us.

Is there a way you can sit down with a calendar and map out a timeframe to shoot for? Aside from the job scenario, what's in the way?
You have a private message.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 AM

15 posts, read 31,744 times
Default Leads For Blue Collar Jobs

Look around for jobs with McCormick Spices in WA. They have a terrific facility and management team in Irving, TX. Wonderful company to work for. I am a former Texas native and am noticing that they are hiring a lot in the area I currently live (East Coast). If you could speak with them in WA. and mention that you're interested in the Irving, TX location, that might be the way to go.
Other areas in Dallas for blue collar work is: 75220,75229 and 75247 ... lots and lots and lots of jobs. You might also try FedEx Ground or FedEx Express ...
Good luck!

Quote:
This is such a great forum, I've learned so much! For years, my husband and I have been trying to arrange a relocation to the Fort Worth area. I was stationed with my family in Ft. Hood for 4.5 years (I'm an Army brat) and absolutely fell in love with Texas. The rest of my family spans from Waco to North Fort now, and we're trying to get down there as fast as we can. We're now outside of Tacoma, WA, and are finally getting set up to move next August '10.

Anyway, I know that the job market is better in Texas (especially compared to the 22% unemployment we have here in WA state...) We are prepared for some difficulty in getting started somewhere new, but I was wondering really how hard it would be to find jobs ahead of time before the move?

We aren't being corporately relocated, this will all be on us. We are trying to do this before we have any kids, since that will make a world of difference, I'm sure. Is it reasonable to think he could secure a job from out-of-state? He works in the Coffee industry now (and has for the most part of 7 years been in the delivery/shipping/fulfillment end of things.) He's also a certified forklift driver.

I'm just trying to avoid a scenario where we finally move, but have no prospects down there until after we arrive. Any thoughts?

Old 02-27-2010, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 29,155 times
Well, like I said, we took a month to just chill and get everything setup, without even looking for jobs.

We moved down in December, and I now have an excellent job very close to home. (10 minute drive... awesome!!) The first job I got took about a week and a half to start from the time I was offered the position. I left within a week because of the horrible attitude the company had. The next job took almost another two weeks to start, as they also needed time before I actually came in to work. So all in all it took about 5 weeks from the time I started looking, to the time I started the job I prefer. Not bad if you ask me!

My husband got his job before I did. He planned on getting a "for now" job while he waited for the perfect one - which he just started. So he was doing taxes while looking for something more permanent. He just got the job offer he's been looking for, and he'll be starting on Monday!!! Yay!!! So we're happy. Seriously... talk to your neighbors and anyone you meet here. There are SO MANY nice people, and it seems like even strangers are ready and willing to help you out! I love my neighbors, and one of them is actually the person who suggested my husband doing taxes (it's always good to have an in).

I do wish you luck, but I don't think you'll need it!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 PM

36 posts, read 102,963 times
This thread is too funny to me, as I am from eastern Washington and considering the move to Dallas/Ft. Worth area because of jobs and family being there.

I must admit, I live in the part of the state that only recieves 18 inches of rain per year as opposed to 38, so I do not have the same opinion as those in western Washington. We love eastern Washington, but jobs are forcing us to move. We are applying, but it is interesting and helpful to hear that people are more interested in you if you are local.

I have heard absolutely great things about communities between Dallas and Fort Worth for those with families, which makes me more excited to move.

I must admit, I am a little concerned with the "browness" I hear of in the Dallas area. We have beautiful evergreen trees, but our yards only stay green because of watering. Dallas is more flat than we are used to, but I still get a wonderful sense of community from posts I have read.

I guess I am mostly posting because this is a move we have considered for a while and are hesitant to make, as we like to know what is ahead of us. We are actively seeking jobs, and I don't foresee us just moving without something lined up unless things become really scary.

Washington is beautiful, but it is definitely nice to hear others talk about Texas in the same way. My husband is pretty conservative, and I am little lessso , so I think Texas can fit our ideology well. Washington will probably always be in my heart though, as I was raised here and love it very much.

What do you foresee as possibilities for employement for someone in the IT field and someone with a masters in special education?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinersfan View Post
This thread is too funny to me, as I am from eastern Washington and considering the move to Dallas/Ft. Worth area because of jobs and family being there.

I must admit, I live in the part of the state that only recieves 18 inches of rain per year as opposed to 38, so I do not have the same opinion as those in western Washington. We love eastern Washington, but jobs are forcing us to move. We are applying, but it is interesting and helpful to hear that people are more interested in you if you are local.

I have heard absolutely great things about communities between Dallas and Fort Worth for those with families, which makes me more excited to move.

I must admit, I am a little concerned with the "browness" I hear of in the Dallas area. We have beautiful evergreen trees, but our yards only stay green because of watering. Dallas is more flat than we are used to, but I still get a wonderful sense of community from posts I have read.

I guess I am mostly posting because this is a move we have considered for a while and are hesitant to make, as we like to know what is ahead of us. We are actively seeking jobs, and I don't foresee us just moving without something lined up unless things become really scary.

Washington is beautiful, but it is definitely nice to hear others talk about Texas in the same way. My husband is pretty conservative, and I am little lessso , so I think Texas can fit our ideology well. Washington will probably always be in my heart though, as I was raised here and love it very much.

What do you foresee as possibilities for employement for someone in the IT field and someone with a masters in special education?

Just saw your post--I will agree that Washington is beautiful. The greenery is wonderful to look at--it's just that the reason it is green is because of so much RAIN! I always loved rain until I moved here and have been putting up with it for years straight it seems. It gets a little old and depressing. BTW it rained in Dallas. I mean it REALLY rained-not the drizzle I am used to. The kind of rain where you can't see the lines on the freeway....In fact I got a little hydroplane action going on the freeway! SCARY!!! The next day was beautiful weather. Seems the weather will change from day to day around TX.

I just got back from Dallas. I can't say that I found it brown. There were alot of dead trees as it is winter and they have not come back to life. No evergreens to stay green all year. No changing of the leaves in the fall. If you are totally accustomed to this it will no doubt be a big change. Dallas and most of Texas for that matter is flat. Nothing but blue skies in the distance. (Ahhh) It was windy and cold to the bone when I was there. Colder than WA. WOWEE!!! I believe the Dallas area is mostly conservative with spots of liberal. That is one reason I am looking forward to getting out of WA. People are way too liberal for me. I think parts of Texas --like out in the country-- have more of a sense of community. Dallas is a huge area and there didn't seem to be as many friendlies there. I mean like people who go out of there way to be friendly. Reality is that most people are not that kind of friendly in today's society. That said, I did speak to more strangers over this past week than I ever have in the entire 3 years in WA, but they weren't all in the Dallas area. That's no exaggeration! People drive kind of crazy. Must be all those Californians who have moved there. It's a fast pace. It is interesting to try to get around in if you are new to the area. haha to say the least. My navigator did pretty well...but there was the bermuda triangle near DFW airport Ay Ay Ay!!

Don't know anything about the IT job prospect, sorry.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 PM

36 posts, read 102,963 times
Haha - I totally understand the rain thing. We generally only make it over to western Washington in the summer, and there is not as much rain during the summer months.

I have seen videos of the Texas rain storms. You definitely wouldn't want to be caught outside!

I have seen the browness from satellite sites while researching real estate, etc. It probably makes a big difference what season the satellite image was taken. I know right now, everything here is pretty brown. Nice to hear that it is green in late winter/early spring.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4me View Post
Just saw your post--I will agree that Washington is beautiful. The greenery is wonderful to look at--it's just that the reason it is green is because of so much RAIN! I always loved rain until I moved here and have been putting up with it for years straight it seems. It gets a little old and depressing. BTW it rained in Dallas. I mean it REALLY rained-not the drizzle I am used to. The kind of rain where you can't see the lines on the freeway....In fact I got a little hydroplane action going on the freeway! SCARY!!! The next day was beautiful weather. Seems the weather will change from day to day around TX.

I just got back from Dallas. I can't say that I found it brown. There were alot of dead trees as it is winter and they have not come back to life. No evergreens to stay green all year. No changing of the leaves in the fall. If you are totally accustomed to this it will no doubt be a big change. Dallas and most of Texas for that matter is flat. Nothing but blue skies in the distance. (Ahhh) It was windy and cold to the bone when I was there. Colder than WA. WOWEE!!! I believe the Dallas area is mostly conservative with spots of liberal. That is one reason I am looking forward to getting out of WA. People are way too liberal for me. I think parts of Texas --like out in the country-- have more of a sense of community. Dallas is a huge area and there didn't seem to be as many friendlies there. I mean like people who go out of there way to be friendly. Reality is that most people are not that kind of friendly in today's society. That said, I did speak to more strangers over this past week than I ever have in the entire 3 years in WA, but they weren't all in the Dallas area. That's no exaggeration! People drive kind of crazy. Must be all those Californians who have moved there. It's a fast pace. It is interesting to try to get around in if you are new to the area. haha to say the least. My navigator did pretty well...but there was the bermuda triangle near DFW airport Ay Ay Ay!!

Don't know anything about the IT job prospect, sorry.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 AM

15 posts, read 31,744 times
Quote:

You will do exceedingly well in Dallas if you are in the IT field. I have an associate that keeps her resume on Monster and she gets roughly four to five really good offers every few weeks. She is always employed when these companies approach her. She continually hops around because the offers are irresistable. I would say that she's had 10 perfect IT jobs in the last 2 years. These are employers that the rest of us would stay with forever. She only leaves because there is always someone else around the corner offering another 10 grand. She has a six figure salary.

As far as the "dry" look goes ... If Dallas isn't green enough, you can always take a drive down to Georgetown or Austin. Both areas are beautifully lush ...

Old 03-09-2010, 10:14 AM

16 posts, read 26,831 times
Marinersfan,

My husband and I were just in Spokane for a few weeks because we had a family emergency there. Eastern WA is drastically different from where we are. In fact, we did consider moving there a few years ago, but decided the economy and job issues there were not what we wanted.

I have to tell you that the drive over I-90 after you pass the Gorge looks so much like Texas to me it's crazy. All the farms and slightly rolling hills in the wide open space. You can see everything around you and it's intoxicatingly relaxing to me after being on the West side, or "The Coast" as our Spokane cousins call it (which cracks me up, because I think of Ocean Shores as the coast, not Tacoma.)

There are sooo many large corporations in DFW that I'd think IT would do swimmingly there, but I know nothing of the Ed field. I know up here in my area teachers can't get a job for the life of them. I work by Pacific Lutheran U that has a large education program and nobody can find work after graduation at all. It's so unbelievably sad. I hope TX has better opportunities there for you.

WA is beautiful, that's for sure. But one thing I realized a few years ago is that we think we have a Monopoly on the color Green. Like this is the only green state and nothing else can come close. Well, I visited West Virginia a few years back and it blew my mind with how green and hilly it is. Really a Mountain country, just a different shade of green. That's when I realized that WA didn't keep all the beauty to itself. And while TX may not have evergreens coming out of its teeth, there is a ton of different kinds of beauty there. There is a CONTRAST of colors all around. When I was
down in DFW in May and Waco in November, I was totally surprised at how much color there was. I know in the dead of summer it may be brown for a few months, but that part of the state recovers nicely. And it really does depend on WHERE in Texas you are. As you head west and into the desert,
well, it's a desert. But like Grendlldog said, central Texas is extremely green and lush.

Texan4Me,

As far as driving goes, while WE might want to blame the Californians, I get the distinct impression that the Texans themselves love the fact that they drive like bats out of hell. And if they don't love it, they've at least learned to cope with it. It is extremely frightening at times, but many
places are worse... like New York, or anywhere in Italy (from what I've seen, lol.) I'm sure to the poor Oregonians, we Washingtonians drive crazily since they think they'll combust if they go the speed limit, or God forbid 5 over. So I just plan on driving as safe as I can until I adjust to the
southern Mayhem on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth