U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:54 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,060,986 times

Advertisements

Think of the driving as amateur NASCAR.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 PM

36 posts, read 102,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBonnetBound View Post
Marinersfan,

My husband and I were just in Spokane for a few weeks because we had a family emergency there. Eastern WA is drastically different from where we are. In fact, we did consider moving there a few years ago, but decided the economy and job issues there were not what we wanted.

I have to tell you that the drive over I-90 after you pass the Gorge looks so much like Texas to me it's crazy. All the farms and slightly rolling hills in the wide open space. You can see everything around you and it's intoxicatingly relaxing to me after being on the West side, or "The Coast" as our Spokane cousins call it (which cracks me up, because I think of Ocean Shores as the coast, not Tacoma.)

There are sooo many large corporations in DFW that I'd think IT would do swimmingly there, but I know nothing of the Ed field. I know up here in my area teachers can't get a job for the life of them. I work by Pacific Lutheran U that has a large education program and nobody can find work after graduation at all. It's so unbelievably sad. I hope TX has better opportunities there for you.

WA is beautiful, that's for sure. But one thing I realized a few years ago is that we think we have a Monopoly on the color Green. Like this is the only green state and nothing else can come close. Well, I visited West Virginia a few years back and it blew my mind with how green and hilly it is. Really a Mountain country, just a different shade of green. That's when I realized that WA didn't keep all the beauty to itself. And while TX may not have evergreens coming out of its teeth, there is a ton of different kinds of beauty there. There is a CONTRAST of colors all around. When I was
down in DFW in May and Waco in November, I was totally surprised at how much color there was. I know in the dead of summer it may be brown for a few months, but that part of the state recovers nicely. And it really does depend on WHERE in Texas you are. As you head west and into the desert,
well, it's a desert. But like Grendlldog said, central Texas is extremely green and lush.
Thank you so much for this. The middle of Washington is rather brown isn't it? I think my perceptions are changing as I talk to more people and get in touch with old college friends that are there. With the heat, you automatically envision dry but that is only part of the year.

I think the harder thing to get over is the lack of mountains, but I absolutely realize that my family can be happy somewhere that has the typical family activities and a strong school system.

Thank you so much for adding your thoughts. They really just help solidify in my mind that this move is a good move. Now on with the job hunting to make it a reality!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 26,793 times
I hear you about the mountains! My husband has lived in Western WA his ENTIRE life, though was in Richland as a baby (which doesn't really count.) When we visited TX last year, he kept saying how weird it was to look up and not see Rainier SOMEWHERE. When he looks out and sees hills, but no mountains, it is a bit bizarre to him. That will definitely take some readjusting, but he's said that he'd rather live somewhere that he can afford and not see our mountain than to have it but be broke.

There is a give and take to everything, and it's all a matter of getting the priorities in line.

Besides, I can (and have) live through a tornado, but we would NOT make it through a volcano eruption! Talk about a dangerous kind of beauty! LOL. While it's doubtful we'll see it go in our lifetime, the truth is that we are several hundred years overdue... But that's for us here on the west side to fret about, not you!

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM

The problem is that nobody knows when a particular volcano is 'due'. I do love mountains, though. I hope to move to NM eventually (not many volcanoes there!).

By the way, you said you were "planning a relocation from Scratch". Where is Scratch located? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM

16 posts, read 26,793 times
Scratch is in the State of Holy Crap Living in the Pacific Northwest is Freaking Expensive!

I live in the town of High Cost of Living.

LOL.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 AM

36 posts, read 102,720 times
Haha - High Cost of Living's neighboring towns = Only the Rich Can Live Here, It is Beautiful but Can't Afford to Own a Home.

I am sure there are many other wonderful names as well!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM

137 posts, read 343,181 times
Amen! It is sad that the American Dream is not attainable in this area!! I am not keen on the "poverty with a view" plan. shoulda thought about that long and hard before ever coming to the PCNW. I can't say that it has been for nothing - good things have come from it ....now we can say GOODBYE!!! It is CRAZY expensive here!!! I am North of Seattle and that's even worse!!! I am a bit worried that while the cost of living is so low in TX--the electric bills seem out of this world high! I hope when we buy we find an energy efficient McMansion

Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM

Regarding electric bills, watch out for those "smart meters" that are being installed here in DFW...lots of horror stories.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:52 PM

137 posts, read 343,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Regarding electric bills, watch out for those "smart meters" that are being installed here in DFW...lots of horror stories.

You can't avoid them--- Can you????

Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 AM

6,955 posts, read 20,770,713 times
Default Check out Trinity Industries....

They often have the kinds of openings you are looking for. As a past Recruiting Manager, I'd say he should try and line up severals interviews/walk in applications and then take a week locally and just do it. Since you have family in the area, I am assuming he can camp out with family for a week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth