U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:21 AM

73 posts, read 248,716 times

Advertisements

Forget both of those - I would check the Southwestern side of Colleyville instead. Its closer to 183/121 for an easy shot to FW, and has lower taxes than either with similar affluence. Brown Trail is a straight shot...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 AM

32,633 posts, read 51,264,756 times
frankly if you would reconsider a large yard and work in downtown FTW and have the money I would look at Mira Vista in SW FTW (smaller development with golf course now owned by community)...home values go over 5 million but also have homes in 5-6-700K range...lots are smaller usually...but it is nice area (gated)...and FTW is a great town--many more opportunites for entertainment/culture than living as far out as Tour 18 as lovely as homes are...

Argyle is small ISD--growing area but some of their programs are just not the caliber that Southlake Carroll or Lewisville (or other districts) offer so don't know how well resale would go--know that as barometer of desireability--airline pilots that used to buy in HEB area or Colleyville/Southlake area are now looking at Argyle...

and the ISD would be the negative about Mira Vista--many of homes are zoned for Crowley ISD which is not considered top tier or FTW ISD--probably lots of students go to FTW Country Day or other private schools...

Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 AM

3 posts, read 10,855 times
Default You weren't kidding!

Mudbelly, we did check out Colleyville last weekend, and you were totally spot-on, was shorter especially taking Davis Blvd to 820.

We're finding different ways out of Southlake to get to downtown FW, but seems the easiest from Flower Mound is Hwy 35, which seems to have accidents a lot. Anyone know of a good shortcut from FM to FW?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 AM

Honestly, there really isn't an "easy way" from FM to FW - Lake Grapevine blocks your Southern route, so your only real choice is I-35 which completely backs up every day. You could take 121 through Grapevine, but it also backs up in several locations. Better to stay close to 183/121, and ride it all the way in (820 is bad).

Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 AM

473 posts, read 1,073,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbelly View Post
Honestly, there really isn't an "easy way" from FM to FW - Lake Grapevine blocks your Southern route, so your only real choice is I-35 which completely backs up every day. You could take 121 through Grapevine, but it also backs up in several locations. Better to stay close to 183/121, and ride it all the way in (820 is bad).
I commute daily from FM to North FW and exit Western Center Blvd - takes me 30-35 mins max for a 25 miles drive - have occasionally found traffic backing up/ accidents but that's the same for every Highway in DFW area. When I lived in Irving i used to take 183/121 and exit 820 and used to find traffic backing up while taking the 820 exit for 121 traffic going to FW. One cannot predict accidents but its a good check point to find the number of congestion/ funnel along the commute (like 121/820 or 35W/ 820). For my commute luckily i don't have any congestion generally on most days. Sometimes on Monday morning or Friday evening or if there is Nascar race in Texas speedway there is a slow down depending on the time of commute, but again these type of conditions are same for most highways in DFW area.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:37 AM

Its pretty slow from Heritage Trace all the way downtown on I35 most of the time - my wife refuses to go that way to her job in the hospital district. FM on the Argyle side is very nice (semi rural with good schools), but you may have to drive a bit for shopping/dining (of course you may want a little more isolation).

Check out some of the newer offerings in the city of Keller as well; it seems all of them are at least as nice as Southlake/Collyville with large sylvan lots (Danbury Parks is great - 1/2 acre plus close to Southlake shopping with an easy access to Davis).

Old 12-27-2009, 08:05 AM

10,585 posts, read 22,532,532 times
You're discovering the problem with Flower Mound: you can't get OUT of it except for a few roads, which are totally congested because everyone else is on them!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You're discovering the problem with Flower Mound: you can't get OUT of it except for a few roads, which are totally congested because everyone else is on them!
I live in FM and commute to North FW and many a times to different areas in DFW and actually find FM a lot better than many prominent areas in DFW. When we were looking for a house few months back we read these same out-dated generic comments on traffic but a little research and actual commute times vis-vis other areas , ongoing projects/ future road projects proved otherwise.

The OP is taking about taking 1171 / 35W to FW which is the breeziest way to get out of Flower Mound.

Mudbelly is talking about congestion near 'Heritage Trace' which is from Keller and at least 15 miles away from FM. Would be nice if Mudbelly can suggest an alternate route to Hospital District- might help the OP. Keller is definitely much closer to FW and property prices are much lower compared to FM and Southlake. We also considered Keller but choose FM due to excellent Schools and other choices which might be different for others.

Basically this is what i am trying to say - Congestions are there everywhere in DFW specially in peak times on 121/114/635 or Heritage Trace or 635/75 or ....etc ..etc. Even if you live in areas closer to Highways (like Irving/ Coppell/ Grapevine...etc) the chances of meeting your other requirements and getting a house (of your liking) near to a smooth Highway is slim.

Last edited by adixyz; 12-27-2009 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adixyz View Post
I live in FM and commute to North FW and many a times to different areas in DFW and actually find FM a lot better than many prominent areas in DFW. When we were looking for a house few months back we read these same out-dated generic comments on traffic but a little research and actual commute times vis-vis other areas , ongoing projects/ future road projects proved otherwise.

The OP is taking about taking 1171 / 35W to FW which is the breeziest way to get out of Flower Mound.

Mudbelly is talking about congestion near 'Heritage Trace' which is from Keller and at least 15 miles away from FM. Would be nice if Mudbelly can suggest an alternate route to Hospital District- might help the OP. Keller is definitely much closer to FW and property prices are much lower compared to FM and Southlake. We also considered Keller but choose FM due to excellent Schools and other choices which might be different for others.

Basically this is what i am trying to say - Congestions are there everywhere in DFW specially in peak times on 121/114/635 or Heritage Trace or 635/75 or ....etc ..etc. Even if you live in areas closer to Highways (like Irving/ Coppell/ Grapevine...etc) the chances of meeting your other requirements and getting a house (of your liking) near to a smooth Highway is slim.

Adixyz, you admitted not knowing what the commute was like beyond Western Center, so I am simply filling in the holes. I am also not trying to disparage FM, but for a central FW commute, it leaves much to be desired. It isn't good to Dallas either according to my coworkers there (my commute from Keller is shorter). I believe this limits the upside potential of property in the area. BTW - 2008 median was $268K in Keller vs. $258K in FM according to this site with most new builds doubling that, so I am not sure where your 'much lower' property value comment came from.

After finally looking at the Tour 18 offerings on the MLS, I would also like to add Westlake into consideration...

Last edited by mudbelly; 12-28-2009 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbelly View Post
Adixyz, you admitted not knowing what the commute was like beyond Western Center, so I am simply filling in the holes. I am also not trying to disparage FM, but for a central FW commute, it leaves much to be desired. It isn't good to Dallas either according to my coworkers there (my commute from Keller is shorter). I believe this limits the upside potential of property in the area. BTW - 2008 median was $268K in Keller vs. $258K in FM according to this site with most new builds doubling that, so I am not sure where your 'much lower' property value comment came from.

After finally looking at the Tour 18 offerings on the MLS, I would also like to add Westlake into consideration...
On Keller we are getting into the debate of East/ West of 377. Again the Commute time depends on where you live in Keller/ FM so the commute time comparison can't be rational. I have neighbors who commute daily to downtown Dallas and their commute time is 45 min in peak traffic. It took me 30 mins yesterday to go to downtown Dallas ( less traffic obviously due to holiday season). Commute from FM to Plano is 20 mins for one of my colleague living in North FM and 35 mins for me from West FM. DFW airport is 3 miles for some folks in FM and 11 miles for me. The same scattered commute time will apply for Keller as well. So when i hear/ read about commute times they include all these different variables so i always suggest to actually drive from Point A to B when making major decisions on housing. One thing you will agree that FM is much central from DFW metroplex perspective . I am not trying to disparage Keller either - Its a great place to live in and folks who chose it (depending on their personal choices/ variables) will enjoy it.
My comment on 'Lower prices' in Keller was my personal observations on new home construction and existing houses prices in Keller for houses around 2500- 3000 Sq.Ft when we were looking few months back. This was in comparison with FM / Coppell. With so much new construction going in Keller i think it will limit the property appreciation. FM have the reverse issue - they have very little new home construction (tract builders), just 2/3 apartment complexes and don't allow commercial/ Shopping construction easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth