Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 05:16 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times

Advertisements

I have been listening to this radio station in the mornings for years. Lately they've been really whacked out there or something. For example, the Jeff Bolton Mornings show now runs from 6 - 9 am, and not the 5 -9 it had run for years. Ever since that change about a month ago, they seem to run endless commercials, even when Jeff Bolton is supposed to be on the air. Some mornings they run commercials (the same ones too!) from before 6 am until 6:30! And since I have bouts with insomnia, sometimes I'm up in the wee hours listening to coast to coast am, and KLIF will run commercials then for 25-30 minutes straight, pre-empting the regularly scheduled program.

What's up? Does anyone have any idea why they would deliberately run their programs so shoddily? It's as if they had a large turnover or something and have nothing but bumbling idiots running their programming dept.

BTW, I've emailed them and received absolutely no response. Also, I have the radio on KLIF right now and they are currently in the middle of a 20 minute run of commercials. WTH!!???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Welcome to modern radio. TV is being eaten alive by commercials too. I've gotten to where I just shut it off when they get too annoying.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
I worked in radio for 14 years. I deleted my original post because I (for once) thought "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I worked for Cumulus, the company that owns KLIF, The Ticket, 93.3, and 99.5 The Wolf. Putting it nicely, they are a frugal company. Their IT deparment at one time (4 stations, 100+ desktop PCs, and four 24/7 broadcast automation systems) was ONE person.

They aren't the only frugal company. Clear Channel, CBS, and Citadel (who just filed Chapter 11) are also notoriously frugal. It's a product of corporate radio. You can thank the Telecommunications Reform Act of 1996 for today's insipid state of radio. Once the big corporations got their hands on radio, they turned it into a one-size-fits-all medium. Its local flavor almost completely disappeared. Worse yet, what IS local is complete crap because they won't invest anything more than the bare minimum to keep stations running.

I suspect a portion of this morning's problems stemmed from the fact that KLIF had a fill-in host on the air. Most of their fill-ins aren't even in DFW. They're in a studio in some other city and have to be patched into KLIF's board. If the engineers had a problem setting up the link you may have been treated to 20 minutes worth of Public Service Announcements and normal commercial breaks until they got the link online.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:57 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I worked in radio for 14 years. I deleted my original post because I (for once) thought "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I worked for Cumulus, the company that owns KLIF, The Ticket, 93.3, and 99.5 The Wolf. Putting it nicely, they are a frugal company. Their IT deparment at one time (4 stations, 100+ desktop PCs, and four 24/7 broadcast automation systems) was ONE person.

They aren't the only frugal company. Clear Channel, CBS, and Citadel (who just filed Chapter 11) are also notoriously frugal. It's a product of corporate radio. You can thank the Telecommunications Reform Act of 1996 for today's insipid state of radio. Once the big corporations got their hands on radio, they turned it into a one-size-fits-all medium. Its local flavor almost completely disappeared. Worse yet, what IS local is complete crap because they won't invest anything more than the bare minimum to keep stations running.

I suspect a portion of this morning's problems stemmed from the fact that KLIF had a fill-in host on the air. Most of their fill-ins aren't even in DFW. They're in a studio in some other city and have to be patched into KLIF's board. If the engineers had a problem setting up the link you may have been treated to 20 minutes worth of Public Service Announcements and normal commercial breaks until they got the link online.
Thank you for the response. I was also in broadcasting (TV) for several years.

This recent spat of crap with KLIF is the worst that I've ever heard though; I've never, EVER heard of a radio station broadcasting 30 minutes of commercials, and only four or five of the same commercials again and again. Plus, it's not only because of an out of town host (even though this morning that was the case). I mean THIRTY MINUTES of commercials during the broadcast period meant for the program and NO comment on the miscue???

Really weird. Really, really weird. I predict that this station is going down the tubes, at least with this program. I'm disgusted. As a loyal listener I will not be loyal much longer.

Thanks again for both of your responses.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,978 times
I am so glad that things like computers and satellites make radio unnecessary, if you're willing to spend a few dollars.

My limit is three commercials in a row. I'll switch to the Public Radio juvenile delinquents at that point.

S

Old 01-18-2010, 10:16 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I am so glad that things like computers and satellites make radio unnecessary, if you're willing to spend a few dollars.

My limit is three commercials in a row. I'll switch to the Public Radio juvenile delinquents at that point.

S
Your post brings up another problem with radio these days. The bigwigs have wasted untold millions of dollars trying to bring HD radio online because they (wrongly) focused on satellite radio as their chief competitior. HD radio is an absolute joke. Precious few auto manufacturers sell HD receivers in their cars and people don't give enough of a crap to convert their standard desktop/clock radios to HD. I would venture a guess that less than 5% of the population of DFW uses an HD radio.

Satellite radio still, after all these years, is a money-losing venture. There's a VERY good chance that SiriusXM will die off soon if they can't turn a profit.

Satellite radio hasn't even been a fly on the ass of regular radio. Terrestrial radio's been getting KILLED by portable media players and internet streaming. Gone are the days when you had to store 6 million cassettes and CDs (or *gasp* 8-tracks) in your car. Nowadays the average person can fit their entire music library on an iPod and play it back through the FM receiver on their car. Hear only what you want when you want to hear it without having to listen to no-talent jocks talk and talk and talk without saying a damn thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth