U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM

91 posts, read 327,200 times

Advertisements

Looks like we are headed to FW this Spring. We will probably rent for a while and then decide whether we want to buy.

My lovely Spouse will be commuting to White Settlement and the school/housing options for us seems best a bit further out. My husband has commuted 30-60 minutes everywhere we have lived. Sadly, the plants he works out always seem to be in super expensive areas or areas will low level schools.

What would a typical commute from these areas be to the White Settlement area?

Keller?
Bedford?
Colleyville?
Arlington?

Any ballparks you can provide will be very helpful. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 AM

36,550 posts, read 56,109,625 times
Bedford is right on 183/121--Airport Frwy--we live in Hurst right off it and my husband works in Sundance Sq downtown FTW--takes him about 20 min to get to work
going to White Settlement would mean going through downtown FTW on 30--would add about another 15-20 min depending on traffic and where in White Settlement you would go
From Colleyville--you might go down Hwy 26 to the 121 connection at 820 Loop or take 121 into dowtown FTW all the way--again just depends on where you start

Some parts of Keller are closer to I35N than to the 820 Loop--frankly if you are going N to S on the WESTside of 820--that is pretty fast commute--
BUT trying to go east/west on the EAST side of 820--from I-35 east to 820 South--that and 820 East to I 20 are the two most horrible pieces of interstate around right now
once they start working on 121/Grapevine interchange people may change their opinions...
Arlington could be straight shot on I30 but frankly most people would say the AISD is not that great a district--

Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanks.

Yeah-trying to balance the needs to keep commute reasonable with decent school options.

My husband usually goes to work early in the AM-so the morning traffic is usually missed. He does often head home between 5-6:30pm, so what the the traffic pattern like heading from White Settlement back over to Keller, Bedford, etc.in the evenings??

I have seen some decent schools around Lake Arlington-know anything about that??

I'd also be fine with living closer to White Settlement in historic FW, but I doubt we could get the kids in to the Daggett Montessori school. Ugh.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,437,557 times
Look at Aledo. The schools have a very good rep.

Also look south a Burelson.

NW Ft worth in the Keller isd would be a good option. but you have to reseach carefully some of the schools out there. A good neighborhood is Heritage. (if you decide this route PM me...I work in the Keller schools and can give you some school tips for KISD) the commute would be about 30-45 minutes, as loves2 said once past I35 the N-S section of 820 isn't bad at all. I would avoid 35 and head west on Western center blvd and then take Saginaw blvd to 820 S. He would have to play around with different routes etc...

Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 PM

I like the idea of Aledo or Burelson, but they seem a bit far out for all of the sports my kids participate in. We live a bit out of the burbs and city where we are now and find ourselves trekking all over for games and leagues. I love the small town feel of where we live, but find it can be tough with the middle school ages my kids are at. If possible, I love an area that has the suburban amenities in terms of schools, parks and pools, but at least a downtown area somewhere that has more of a soul-something unique or historic. I know there will always be the unsightly mall areas, but where are the adorable walkable streets with non franchised shops in the FW Area? Am I asking too much?!? Maybe...

Old 01-11-2010, 06:37 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,437,557 times
Burleson should have more of recreation for the kids and plenty of shopping etc...
City of Burleson (http://www.burlesontx.com/CITY%20DEPTS/Parks/Parks%20Dept.htm - broken link) there's the city website.

Aledo is smaller and more country I believe most shopping would be in Lake worth
http://www.aledo-texas.com/

Keller has a very small old town shopping area with some shopes and resturants..not too walkable though as 377 runs right though it. We do have an updated version in hte Townsquare with small shopes and a few resturants. (nothing like Southlake Townsqare though)
But we have a huge youth sports complex with every sport your child would wish to particpate in.
City of Keller : Home
Keller Youth Association has the sports (google it each sport has it's own website)

But...the areas most convienient for a commute are not in the city of keller but rather Ft worth so you would have some travel etc...

For that you'd have to look at Grapevine with it's historic downtown etc... but that is quite a commute to white settlement.
City of Grapevine, Texas > Home

There are some neat old neighborhoods in downtown Ft worth..but FWISD is not so great. So maybe you look at the private schools if that's an option. Ft worth Christian is a pretty well known one.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 PM

11,319 posts, read 24,845,757 times
I love Grapevine, and I'm always eager to have people move here. HOWEVER, the commute to White Settlement would be really bad. I'll agree with Aledo and Burleson. Keller is a possibility if you get on the western edge. You should also look at Saginaw.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:20 AM

Yeah burleson and keller look to be the best bets in terms of balancing schools, recreation and commute right now.

Thanks for the input.

Saginaw looks good for the commute, ok for schools, but i have hard people say that basics like grocery shopping and such can be a pain there.

Grapevine looks great, but too far out from commute location...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 AM

36,550 posts, read 56,109,625 times
price is always a concern since it not only affects your mortgage but other factors--it is often the case that homes in lesser priced areas have schools that rank less than the best as well as issues like higher crime rates...
so it is really a juggling match

Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 AM

Yeah-juggling for sure. I refuse to bow to the idea that my children must go to a top top top school in order to get a good, well rounded education. That being said, I don't want them at a school where the expectations and achievement are low, either.

Yeah-cost of living, schools, commute, reasonably safe neighborhood-ponder ponder ponder.

What is with the insanely high property taxes in Texas? I guess that balances out the lack of personal income tax. I guess every region gets you one way or another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth